Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:14 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
If you read the actual article it notes that the bar here is set very high. If you think that through that would rule out a text that was never read, that was sent if you were not aware they were driving.

I don't suppose the law is as dumb as someone who continues to text with someone that they know is driving.
Interestingly, the same court turned right around and threw out the charges against the girl who was texting - pretty much demonstrating how hard it would be to actually find someone culpable in such a situation. I think they were more saying it's technically possible to hold them liable, but it would be darn near impossible to prove.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 07:19 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Interestingly, the same court turned right around and threw out the charges against the girl who was texting - pretty much demonstrating how hard it would be to actually find someone culpable in such a situation. I think they were more saying it's technically possible to hold them liable, but it would be darn near impossible to prove.
It is mostly much to do about nothing. In the end though......if you know someone is driving stop texting them.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:20 AM

16,715 posts, read 19,402,710 times
Default It's already been applied

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Can't wait to see this applied. What a riot.
A couple riding a motorcycle was hit by a person texting. They both lost a leg. They were able to prove that the texter knew the textee was driving, and they won the case.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:35 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,458,208 times
I have had the following exchange before.......

Me: You mean you are texting me while driving?

Other: Yea....no problem, I do it all the time.

Me: Well, text or call me when you are done driving

Other: Why?....I can handle it

Me: Because I don't want to be the last person you spoke to when the cops look at your phone after you crash....ttyl

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 08-30-2013, 08:38 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
I have had the following exchange before.......

Me: You mean you are texting me while driving?

Other: Yea....no problem, I do it all the time.

Me: Well, text or call me when you are done driving

Other: Why?....I can handle it

Me: Because I don't want to be the last person you spoke to when the cops look at your phone after you crash....ttyl

Posted with TapaTalk
Well done.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:39 AM

23,536 posts, read 17,211,948 times
Default wealth distribution on the slippery slope

Makes sense in the state that treats BB guns the same as firearms

If this stands, the 'slippery slope' will become NJ's state 'monster' displacing the 'Jersey Devil' and the Haddonfield Mamouth.

New NJ license plate is divided diagnonally from right upper corner to left lower corner, the lower half being a black slope to signify the evil slippery slope. In the middle of the slope is the statue of blind justice, her scale tilted severely to the left.

So Zuckerberg is liable for any newark student failing a grade or failing to qualify for a job or college, because he donated 100 million $$ to Newark edu. If a student who benefited from Z's millions commits a crime which required reading skills, Z is on the hook for a law suit or jail.

Only in NJ.

Old 08-30-2013, 08:45 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,199,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuselage View Post
Sure, because why in the world would the responsibility lie with the person behaving irresponsibly? Last I checked, nobody generally puts a gun to my head and forces me to read a text or respond to one at any time. Certainly not while I am driving.

What's next? Are they going to hold the drive-through guy responsible because he KNEW I was driving when I ordered my burger? Thus, he clearly acted knowingly and willfully to distract me from driving.

See, texting is only an example. The decision found that "a court may hold the sender responsible for distraction and hold him or her liable for the accident." In other words, "distraction" is the big one here. You distract someone while driving, that person causes and injury accident, and you can be held liable.

Text a driver in New Jersey, and you could see your day in court - CNN.com
My kids are in trouble if distractions while driving are punishable under the law.
" Mom, mom, momma, mom, mooooooom"

I would have spent my entire childhood in jail.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:18 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,771,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
A couple riding a motorcycle was hit by a person texting. They both lost a leg. They were able to prove that the texter knew the textee was driving, and they won the case.
Umm... isn't that the case the OP was talking about? The one where the case against the remote texter was dismissed.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
Umm... isn't that the case the OP was talking about? The one where the case against the remote texter was dismissed.
Correct. The couple was settled with, out of court, by the driver who hit them. They also attempted to go after the girl who texted the driver in an attempt to collect even more money for their injuries, pain and suffering. They lost. However, the law remains on the books and no doubt, from time to time, greedy lawyers will attempt to draw in additional revenue by using it in cases that they think they can win.

H

Old 08-30-2013, 09:50 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,926,125 times
Since you can probably only be certain that the person you are texting is, in fact, driving a car at that moment in about 20% of the instances you might want to text them. Isn't the real takeaway here that maybe people just shouldn't text. Period. I mean... it was coming to this. Texting is the answer to a question no one asked. I've seen people send texts back and forth for 15 minutes to get information that a 1 minute voice call would have provided. Such gross inefficiency needed to be punished. I hope other states will follow NJ's example and just chill the urge out of American's to text one another. Good riddance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies