Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: what is at the root cause for this phenomenon?
Conservatives have better people skills, and typically project a more positive attitude, which is a key factor in sales. 5 13.16%
Conservatives are more susceptible to nonsense; therefore, they're more likely to believe their own BS 20 52.63%
Original old spice is still the best smelling fragrance that old spice produces. 13 34.21%
Voters: 38. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 11:11 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,373 times

Advertisements

I recently got out of the sales business after 13 years. I won't reveal what exactly my company sold, but I will say that an average sale for our service fluctuated between $350-$500, and are typical salesperson did not have a college education. One thing I noticed about are top sales people was that they were all men, and they were all big time conservatives. It was so one sided that management like myself figured out the recipe for a good salesman, and we aimed at hiring these types. This recipe included: Conservative, religious and white with the gift for gab, but a bit on the stupid side. These guys always kicked butt, whereas the more progressive, free thinking types always had an ethical problem with the job and couldn't sell.

So this is my question

what is at the root cause for this phenomenon?

Last edited by redfish1; 08-31-2013 at 11:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 11:16 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
As a lib, I've never tried the sales bushiness, but bushes are hard to sell unless you're steins gardens and gifts or something like that.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:22 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,656,809 times
I think I'll skip proffering an opinion about why a phenomenon occurred until we have a little more reliable evidence that it did occur. Not accusing you of lying, but anecdote is not the singular of data.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:28 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
I'm a marketing professional. There are lots of other types of sales where you don't go home feeling like you've taken advantage of the person you're selling to, or that you've cheated them, or pressured them into buying something they can't afford (ethical concerns). You can't compare being good at all sales jobs to being good at sales for your company, if ignoring those concerns is what it takes to succeed. I think it says something significant that you're purposefully hiring with the criteria you listed--stupid, white religious conservative male who's good at gabbing--for a job where others don't perform well because of ethical concerns.

Most of the really good sales personnel I know--the ones who make very good incomes--are intelligent, personable people who sell products they believe in and have satisfied, happy, repeat customers. I also don't think this is a conservative or liberal issue. There are very good sales reps or personnel on both sides of the aisle.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:29 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redfish1 View Post
I recently got out of the sales bushiness after 13 years. I won't reveal what exactly my company sold, but I will say that an average sale for our service fluctuated between $350-$500, and are typical salesperson did not have a college education. One thing I noticed about are top sales people was that they were all men, and they were all big time conservatives. It was so one sided that management like myself figured out the recipe for a good salesman, and we aimed at hiring these types. This recipe included: Conservative, religious and white with the gift for gab, but a bit on the stupid side. These guy always kicked butt, whereas the more progressive, free thinking types always had an ethical problem with the job, and couldn't sell.

So this is my question

I've been around sales people all my life and you are right except for one thing. It's not stupidity, the gift of gab is not being serious and business all the time and knowing that socializing is supposed to be enjoyable.

I do agree that conservatives are typically better off financially because of their mindset and understand how it works.

Liberals are too busy living in the world of shoulds and shouldn'ts

Old 08-31-2013, 11:33 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,139,020 times
Quote:
I recently got out of the sales bushiness after 13 years. I won't reveal what exactly my company sold, but I will say that an average sale for our service fluctuated between $350-$500, and are typical salesperson did not have a college education. One thing I noticed about are top sales people was that they were all men, and they were all big time conservatives. It was so one sided that management like myself figured out the recipe for a good salesman, and we aimed at hiring these types. This recipe included: Conservative, religious and white with the gift for gab, but a bit on the stupid side. These guy always kicked butt, whereas the more progressive, free thinking types always had an ethical problem with the job, and couldn't sell.

So this is my question

Salesmen have to build a rapport with the customer in order to gain their confidence and trust. Whatever you were selling probably appealed to conservative, religious white men who were a little on the stupid side. Buyers for your product would probably view a slick progressive salesman with suspicion and contempt.

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,463,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Salesmen have to build a rapport with the customer in order to gain their confidence and trust. Whatever you were selling probably appealed to conservative, religious white men who were a little on the stupid side. Buyers for your product would probably view a slick progressive salesman with suspicion and contempt.

20yrsinBranson
Yep. I don't think a conservative Christian Republican would do very well if he were to try, say, selling Fiat 500s to San Francisco hipsters.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:36 AM

5,466 posts, read 4,423,692 times
LOL, Obama has to be a salesperson but is the worst. He thinks just by his being and speaking that everyone should jump. Very far from the truth. And when they don't jump he cries like a little baby and calls it obstructionism. How dare anyone not buy into his sales pitch.

Old 08-31-2013, 11:45 AM

1,565 posts, read 2,451,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
As a lib, I've never tried the sales bushiness, but bushes are hard to sell unless you're steins gardens and gifts or something like that.
Oh you got me good sucka

Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 AM

38,643 posts, read 26,384,037 times
Quote:

So this is my question

This is a no-brainer.

The "answer a question, ask a question" formula requires a quick and logical thought process.

Reading the tells requires objectivity without prejudice.

The assumptive close requires integrity and confidence that is rooted in character.

You can't fake this.

After all, if you don't believe you, no one else will either.

Last edited by momonkey; 08-31-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies