Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2013, 07:37 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I'd really love to think so, but I'm afraid their closing is just the product of good old American stupidity born of prejudice. My only regret is that I wasn't there avoiding spending a nickel with them and contributing to their closure.

Personally, I'll try hard not to miss them, or any more like them.
They aren't closed. They moved.

This is what those who wish to control others do not understand. You can't in a society like ours. It's just like the states that enacted laws against gun manufacturer's in their state. They didn't stop them, they only caused the business to pack up and move.

They then pat themselves on their backs and cut the unemployment checks.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:48 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,214,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonymouseX View Post
They didn't refuse to serve homosexuals. They refused to make a homosexual wedding cake.

Not quite the same thing.
IF a business makes a product (wedding cakes) that business can not deny service of that product (wedding cakes) based on the sexual orientation of the customer in Oregon.

Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
IF a business makes a product (wedding cakes) that business can not deny service of that product (wedding cakes) based on the sexual orientation of the customer in Oregon.
now they are going to run it out of their house, which will make discrimination much easier for them fortunately.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Except for that pesky little thing called the US Constitution and the Bill of Rights with "Freedom of Religion".
Would you remind me which verse says "thou shall not make wedding cakes for gays"?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
We're just a hop, skip, and a jump away from a case being brought to court over a place of worship not allowing a gay marriage to take place within their church, temple, or mosque.
Do you not understand the difference between a CHURCH and a BAKERY?

Old 09-02-2013, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
now they are going to run it out of their house, which will make discrimination much easier for them fortunately.
I hope they under the state cottage food laws. Some states limit how much you can make and still be considered a cottage food business. Then there is the strict separation of personal and business use of the kitchen, no animals allowed in the house ever. Strict labeling, and packaging laws. Inspections. There are actually more hoops to jump through to run a cottage food business.
And they might still be required to follow the anti-discrimination laws too.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:11 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
I hope they under the state cottage food laws. Some states limit how much you can make and still be considered a cottage food business. Then there is the strict separation of personal and business use of the kitchen, no animals allowed in the house ever. Strict labeling, and packaging laws. Inspections. There are actually more hoops to jump through to run a cottage food business.
And they might still be required to follow the anti-discrimination laws too.
that would be disappointing. it's a shame that it's 2013, and we're returning to slavery.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:14 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,207,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
There are no third world countries with NO laws. How could one lack enforcing something you say isn't there?

And the thing is, you aren't happy or we wouldn't be having this discussion. That people were not happy about the laws of our society is the reason for the discussion.
But there are plenty where they're ignored, and you can pretty much do what you like--just like the Wild West--as long as you've got lots of money to buy off the authorities. Think Somalia.

Why would you say I'm unhappy? I'm not the one who has a problem with the situation. A business broke the law, and they're being investigated for it. That's the way the system is supposed to work. It's a great thing.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,495,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean71 View Post
And?
They should be able to operate the business as they please. It's THEIR business and THEY assume ALL the risk of being in bussines.
And part of that is obeying the laws that "all" business' must follow. Their religion was not what their business was about, they chose to discriminate and they are paying the price for it, they get what they deserve, same as any business that makes the choice to discriminate based on their own personal lives.

Old 09-02-2013, 08:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Do you not understand the difference between a CHURCH and a BAKERY?

No, they don't understand the difference, because for them, there IS NO difference.

Even though their God told them not to pray in public, or make public spectacles of their religion, they do so anyway, because they want EVERYONE to know how holier-than-thou they are, and how much they just LOVE Jesus more than you love Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies