Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2013, 07:53 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,289,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
I think I understand what the law is -- but do you understand how illogical and beyond the scope of discrimination that law is?
Not really. It makes perfect sense to me, that businesses cannot treat gay people as second-class citizens.

Quote:
We here, have no impact on the case, yet we can discuss laws, can't we not? Laws can be repealed / overturned, no?
Sure, go for it. But as it stands now, the couple being refused service is completely and totally in the right. That the person refusing them service believes in some mythical being or other is not relevant.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:54 PM

1,026 posts, read 1,194,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
no it is not.

plus children at school know how to not say what is not expected from the to be told.

it's called censorship.
You don't spend much time with teenagers, do you?

They have no problem whatsoever speaking their minds. Much to the dismay of their parents sometimes.

Old 09-03-2013, 07:59 PM

37,971 posts, read 17,913,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
No, I haven't missed it. You said that right-wingers having to obey laws that make them sad is just like slavery, and I explained how your argument was garbage.
And I proved just how ignorant you are when it comes to the definition of slavery. As long as you agree with the concept, the means justify the ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
It must be so sad for right-wingers that business can't treat people like second-class citizens. The government should mail each of you a tissue so you can all dry your tears.
It must be so sad for people like you that think they can use force to get whatever they want and think no one should protest. Because the policies you follow are so weak, are so immoral, you have to threatened those around you to comply even though no ones rights have been violated.

Keep ignoring the truth that the big government YOU love was responsible for the repugnant Jim Crow laws that enslaved Americans. Keep ignoring the fact that we the people made the difference and through our civil disobedience and votes we changed the bigoted mob that enslaved Americans.
World War 2 we enslaved Americans of Japanese descent for the sole reason they were Japanese. I'm sure you would have been at the front of that effort too.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:17 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,289,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
And I proved just how ignorant you are when it comes to the definition of slavery.
No you didn't. You accused me of missing the point and you called me names. You didn't prove anyone was a slave.

By the way: who owns these slaves?

Your argument that having to adhere to the laws of doing business is just like slavery still makes me laugh, BTW and FYI.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:21 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,639,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
The liberals and gay activists have become the new fascists. They have just destroyed somebody's first amendment rights and violated their freedom of religion.

There going to be in for a rude awakening later. People are not going to stand for this kind of discrimination much longer.
They hold religion and the religiously faithful in contempt yet want no question or disagreement with their agenda's unique perspective or else. Perhaps this is because religion does not accommodate or suit the homosexual. In the case of the bakery in question, all because a couple wonderful little lesbians walked into their shop and couldn’t get a cake, they have successfully destroyed this business along with their ability to put food on the table.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:23 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,242,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
They hold religion and the religiously faithful in contempt yet want no question or disagreement with their agenda's unique perspective or else. Perhaps this is because religion does not accommodate or suit the homosexual. In the case of the bakery in question, all because a couple wonderful little lesbians walked into their shop and couldn’t get a cake, they have successfully destroyed this business along with their ability to put food on the table.
And the owners only have themselves to blame for their failing business.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:27 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,271,556 times
Quote:
Oh, cry me a river.

I actually suspect there's a lot more that contributed to their failure than just their refusing to make a cake for a lesbian couple.

I probably saw more about this bakery than most of you because it's somewhat of a local story for me, and honestly, the husband seemed to really enjoy his fifteen minutes of fame and was always talking, talking, talking.

Besides the fact that I think they should have chosen a more low key approach, it also tells me that maybe they weren't the brightest bulbs in the pack as far as being business people.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And the owners only have themselves to blame for their failing business.
Just because there is a law you all are so fond of mentioning does not mean that the lesbians had an obligation to file a complaint. They could have just as well gone elsewhere and gotten the service they desired. Filing the complaint was not going to get them a cake or make anybody do something against their religious conviction just because these two were homosexual and had an ax to grind. The complaint was out of pure mean spirited spite intended to punish and hurt these people because they dared to have a difference of opinion and the lesbians damn well weren’t going to let that happen!

These hardworking religious folk’s livelihoods have been destroyed. This is what you people want as you are not going to change opinion or force compliance no matter how intense you ratchet up the bullying. One party is unable to put food on the table and the other party didn’t get a cake.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Oh, cry me a river.

I actually suspect there's a lot more that contributed to their failure than just their refusing to make a cake for a lesbian couple.

I probably saw more about this bakery than most of you because it's somewhat of a local story for me, and honestly, the husband seemed to really enjoy his fifteen minutes of fame and was always talking, talking, talking.

Besides the fact that I think they should have chosen a more low key approach, it also tells me that maybe they weren't the brightest bulbs in the pack as far as being business people.
They deserved it right? You've won. The shop is closed. Rejoice in your victory and enjoy.

Old 09-03-2013, 08:41 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,271,556 times
Quote:
They deserved it right? You've won. The shop is closed. Rejoice in your victory and enjoy.
I didn't "win" anything.

I just want people to be treated with dignity and respect regardless of who they love or the color of their skin or simply because they are "different."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies