Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJ3791 View Post
You're totally right about that. I never get worked up on abortion listening to the opinions of like-minded people, or even pro-choicers who say "I don't think a fetus is a person," or "Whatever a fetus is, it's survival is less valuable than the mother's freedom."

What get's me incensed is when pro-choicers come with all that

"This is about women's rights!"
"Stay out of it- it's purely a a medical issue!"
"You're against women's sexuality!"
"War on women! Ahhrgh!"

Framing the issue in those ways is so... I don't know what to call it. Stupid? I can't help feeling like any reasonably intelligent person who approaches the issue in those way is being intellectually dishonest. If someone is unstable and potentially, I can see how it would push them over the edge.
The word you're looking for is "accurate". Nothing dishonest about it.
It IS about womens' rights.
You SHOULD stay out of it, as it IS a medical issue.
You sound as if you ARE against womens' sexuality.
It IS a war on women.
I don't really care how incensed you get. Work yourself up to a stroke if you like. Facts are facts.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:40 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,507,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
It IS a war on women.
I don't really care how incensed you get. Work yourself up to a stroke if you like. Facts are facts.
It's a medical procedure, but rarely a medical issue.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Go back 120 years and abortion was almost universally considered amoral, detestable and exactly the same thing as infanticide by the vast majority of human beings.
Wow. Have you ever heard of a thing called history?

You might want to read up on it a bit, because you could not possibly be more wrong.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
So once artificial wombs are developed and commercialized and fetus transplants from women's bodies to artificial's wombs will be possible, then will fetuses be considered viable at that point in time in the future?
Maybe at that point all the anti-choice people will stand up and adopt the resulting millions of unwanted babies and support social programs to aid the less fortunate among us, donate boatloads of money and time to agencies designed to house these babies, etc...

I've stated this fact scores of times, but I'll say it again:

The whole abortion argument is moot. We will always have safe, clinical abortions in this country in some place or other. And that's as it should be. It's nobody else's business.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:58 PM

147 posts, read 164,730 times
Quote:
It IS a war on women.
Just keep telling yourself all that.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arus View Post
...there are over 5,000,000 children in foster care over the age 10 that are un-adopted. If pro-lifers care so much about life, why aren't they out there trying to get these kids adopted (or adopt themselves) than worry about a mother who is pregnant and considering abortion.
Seriously. This is my line of work exactly. Dealing with kids in shelters, seeking foster home placements, etc.

Why not worry about helping the people who are here now that need help and support instead of anissue that isn't going to change anyway, no matter how much you whine and cry or try to legislate about it?

Old 09-06-2013, 07:11 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,020,549 times
Quote:
You're totally right about that. I never get worked up on abortion listening to the opinions of like-minded people, or even pro-choicers who say "I don't think a fetus is a person," or "Whatever a fetus is, it's survival is less valuable than the mother's freedom."

What get's me incensed is when pro-choicers come with all that

"This is about women's rights!"
"Stay out of it- it's purely a a medical issue!"
"You're against women's sexuality!"
"War on women! Ahhrgh!"

Framing the issue in those ways is so... I don't know what to call it. Stupid? I can't help feeling like any reasonably intelligent person who approaches the issue in those way is being intellectually dishonest. If someone is unstable and potentially, I can see how it would push them over the edge.
Quote:
It IS a war on women.
Quote:
Just keep telling yourself all that.
how is abortion not about woman's rights? do tell
how is a woman's health care not about medical issues?
how is it not about a woman's sexuality?
how is taking away a woman's rights not a war on women?

Old 09-06-2013, 08:08 PM

5,899 posts, read 5,795,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Seriously. This is my line of work exactly. Dealing with kids in shelters, seeking foster home placements, etc.

Why not worry about helping the people who are here now that need help and support instead of an issue that isn't going to change anyway, no matter how much you whine and cry or try to legislate about it?
Do you have a crystal ball?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurist110 View Post
Do you have a crystal ball?
What do you think you are on about?

If you oppose the right to choice on the matter, have you or anyone you know who also opposes it fostered or adopted any children?

Old 09-06-2013, 09:05 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
It doesn't matter if anyone WANTS to adopt a baby if someone else DOESN'T WANT to be pregnant. One has nothing to do with the other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies