Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2009, 11:48 PM

63 posts, read 246,320 times

Advertisements

I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the "pro-choice" movement. I'm pretty sure they're more concerned about ensuring female-privilege over men's rights.

No, I'm not saying that a husband should be able to force a woman to bear a child if she wants an abortion and he doesn't.

However, if the man DOESN'T want a child, he's screwed.

A woman has the legal right to get an abortion if she doesn't want to bear the burden of raising a child. Even if she doesn't want to get an abortion, she can abandon the child at a hospital, fire department and police department under "Safe Haven" Laws and face absolutely no legal repercussions.

And yet a man can be forced to pay child support to a child support and alimony for a child he never wanted and alimony to a woman he doesn't love, and go to jail if he refuses to. He can even be forced to pay for a child that's not biologically his (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/ma...pagewanted=all)

Clearly men do not have a choice in this matter.

I think there's leeway for a trade off however. I will 100% totally support abortions under any circumstance for whoever for whatever the reason, if we do away with forced child-support and alimony.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2009, 11:39 AM

1 posts, read 2,636 times
Default no choice for men

Having been a single mom for over 15 years with no help- by that I do not only mean monetary help, no father figure, no one at the hospital when my kids have had surgries etc. My son had a child at the age of 19 and I completely understand what your point. I told him that the situation arose due to his lack of protection. That said, it is what it is. Don't think I'm off the deep end, but, maybe God intended for you to have a child. It is a huge responsibility and you can't change your mind, but the snipits of joy and accomplishment you will have far out weigh the hassles.

My Grandson's mother chose to disappear with him 4 years ago and I have not see him since he was 2 (he just turned 6) Not a day goes by I don't worry about him. My son would only have rights if we can go to Colorado where I believe she is now located. Even as a full time college student and self-supporting I am proud to say that he has not missed 1 child support paymnent.

My point is this, I have lived both sides of this situation. I agree with you that men need stronger rights, however, I've not encountered many willing to fight for them- my son included. It seems they get frustrated and give up. 2 days ago my es-husband was finally arrested for child support arrears in excess of $37K. It has taken my literally 10 years to accomplish this. We'll see if I actually receive any money. Keep fighting, don't give up!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 11:44 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
I am becoming more disillusioned by the "prolife" movement.

They are always screaming about the woman being responsible. Why don't they ever take the man into consideration? Why doesn't HE think about it BEFORE sticking it into her if he KNOWS a woman can terminate her pregnancy?

A woman knows she can terminate the pregnancy. A man knows that he cannot terminate the pregnancy (unless he beats or something) so any SMART men would THINK before sticking in her instead of whining later on that she wants or does not want the pregnancy after.

ZERO rights for men and ZERO sympathy for men from me on this subject.

Old 12-12-2009, 11:46 AM

6,454 posts, read 7,013,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurian View Post
I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the "pro-choice" movement. I'm pretty sure they're more concerned about ensuring female-privilege over men's rights.

No, I'm not saying that a husband should be able to force a woman to bear a child if she wants an abortion and he doesn't.

However, if the man DOESN'T want a child, he's screwed.

A woman has the legal right to get an abortion if she doesn't want to bear the burden of raising a child. Even if she doesn't want to get an abortion, she can abandon the child at a hospital, fire department and police department under "Safe Haven" Laws and face absolutely no legal repercussions.

And yet a man can be forced to pay child support to a child support and alimony for a child he never wanted and alimony to a woman he doesn't love, and go to jail if he refuses to. He can even be forced to pay for a child that's not biologically his (http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/22/ma...pagewanted=all)

Clearly men do not have a choice in this matter.

I think there's leeway for a trade off however. I will 100% totally support abortions under any circumstance for whoever for whatever the reason, if we do away with forced child-support and alimony.
I've made this argument several times, and for the sake of fairness and balance, I believe that men should have a "choice" not pay child support when given knowledge of the pregnancy.

I've often heard the cliche that paying child supprt "is what's best for the child.", Yet NO one has been able to explain just how abortion is best for the child either.

Now I'm all for fairness and I really believe that if a woman can have an abortion, a man should be given the right to not take on the responsibility of a child that he doesn't want. I also believe the reverse scenerio, if you take a woman's 'right' away to have an aboriton, then men should not have the option to opt out of parenthood.

Old 12-12-2009, 02:45 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
Oh good, yet another anti-woman thread.
We already have one this week.
We're so lucky to have more than one thread this week.
It must be close to xmas.

A woman can't get pregnant without sperm.
Don't want yourself put in a position you find untenable, don't leave your sperm in a woman.
Once you can carry a fetus to term, then you have a voice.
Until then, not so much.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:03 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

They are always screaming about the woman being responsible. Why don't they ever take the man into consideration? Why doesn't HE think about it BEFORE sticking it into her if he KNOWS a woman can terminate her pregnancy?

A woman knows she can terminate the pregnancy. A man knows that he cannot terminate the pregnancy (unless he beats or something) so any SMART men would THINK before sticking in her instead of whining later on that she wants or does not want the pregnancy after.

And then some. Guys, as long as you're taking it out and sticking it in, you'd better be prepared for whatever is going to happen.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:04 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,292,958 times
For the most part, it would be better if guys just took matters into their own hand.

Old 12-12-2009, 03:10 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
For the most part, it would be better if guys just took matters into their own hand.
roflmao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 12-12-2009, 03:24 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
You wicked thing

Old 12-12-2009, 03:28 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

A big chorus of AMEN! from me!

Yup, some men PERCEIVE a slight sexual inequality(real or not) and it's WHINE,WHINE, cry, mewl, whimper....most of them didn't seem too concerned for the last 10,000 years of sexual inequality and oppression of women.

Now, the shoe only SEEMS to be on the other foot and listen to the wailing.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies