Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2013, 10:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I don't care one way or the other about phone apps. I do however think you're a hypocrite.. because the technology we use for everything in our daily lives make it easier than it was in the past.
Fine. Download your app dude.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Lol.

So, do you have a point, or just nothing better to do? Someone here is butthurt, but it ain't the person you're responding to.

Yes, anyone who doesn't have vision that goes about a mile down the road is an IDIOT, and desertdetroiter is a genius, because he don't need no stinkin technology. Really, what's your point? Or is it just your usual passive aggressive shtick?
It's my passive aggressive schtick.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Profile, profile and profile some more make no apologies for maintaining your own safety.
Profiling makes sense. Phone apps however..
Quote:
Confusing issues to say the least. Sometimes when people can't argue against something directly, because they know their problem with it is completely ridiculous and unfounded, they'll try to take shots at it from other less seemingly ridiculous directions.

Although the idea that the entire world has been "avoiding danger" for thousands of years is about the most hilarious thing I've ever heard.

I repeat, nirvana fallacy.

I've driven about 8,000 miles in the second half of this year and traveled through about 15 major cities, but I guess I'm still an "IDIOT" for not knowing each and every place I may go like the back of my hand.
And yet, here you are. Without the phone app. Congratulations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2013, 10:27 AM

702 posts, read 726,949 times
It needs a feature that vibrates when it is time to clutch your purse, put your hand over your wallet, or cross to the other side of the street.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:38 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
I think some of them are so deluded as to actually suppress their obviously rational instinct to do so.

And many of them don't have to on any regular basis - when they went house shopping they looked as far away from those "oppressed masses" they love so much as they possibly could.
Well here's one liberal nearly killed by young black guys who steadfastly refuses to racial profile. Hope he doesn't get killed next time.

Quote:
Most recently, actor-activist Kal Penn, once an avowed opponent of racial stereotyping in law enforcement (based in part on his own experience getting patted down at airports), changed his views after he was held up at gunpoint in Washington, D.C. (Penn published a brief explanation late last week, and apparently reconsidered his view over the weekend.)
Racial profiling for thee but not for me. That’s how it looks, at least. It’s probably more complicated than that. I don’t know. I asked Penn on Twitter to discuss the evolution of his views with me, but didn’t get a reply. Maybe he didn’t see the request. Either way, the offer still stands.
What I can say with some authority — whether this is what happened to Penn or not — is that being a victim of gun violence doesn’t have to turn you into a supporter of racial profiling.
What I learned from getting shot - Salon.com

Old 09-06-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EntropyGuardian View Post
It needs a feature that vibrates when it is time to clutch your purse, put your hand over your wallet, or cross to the other side of the street.
LMAO...they'll get there one day. Someone is already on it.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:40 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,421,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Fine. Download your app dude.

It's my passive aggressive schtick.

Profiling makes sense. Phone apps however..

The phone app is kind of dumb, common sense should suffice.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:43 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
How many links am I going to have to post to the Nirvana fallacy? What the hell kind of argument is "hey guys, we're not all dead, so everything is perfect, everywhere, for everyone!"

Lol. Man...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Well here's one liberal nearly killed by young black guys who steadfastly refuses to racial profile. Hope he doesn't get killed next time.

What I learned from getting shot - Salon.com
Profiling makes sense...you'd be a fool not to do it. And everyone does it regardless of what they might profess. If they don't, they're a fool.

9,189 posts, read 7,601,522 times
If you're ever walking thru a bad neighborhood, just pretend to be Jehovah Witness and the potential robber (in fact everyone) will avoid you like the plague.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:45 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Profiling makes sense...you'd be a fool not to do it. And everyone does it regardless of what they might profess. If they don't, they're a fool.
Well what I find most interesting about the anti profiling crowd is that they deem certain factors okay to profile on (nobody ever complains about profiling males or younger people) while others are off limits for what can only be described as "ethical" reasons. They then proceed to downplay the validity of profiling based on such.

So yeah, they're fools.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:49 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,836,772 times
also, what is the methodology behind this.

can some white just say one city is a ghetto and label it a ghetto, making it a ghetto on the app?

the app is dependent upon others saying it is a ghetto, not on statistical analysis already added onto the app.

its a white peoples yelp for avoiding non white areas, simple as that.

the problem is it's not based on stats.

it's based on joe whitey, who may or not be trolling on the app with his ghetto reccomendation.

this is my reccomendation to white people. again im stereotyping, because it is white people who believe they will be safe downloading these stupid apps.

1. preplan your drive.

2. print out a copy of your route and bring it with.

3. if you are so scared of leaving your white enclave for another city, research your destination city and look at official crime stats of different parts of the city, which is available on any state government website.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies