Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 06:21 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,740,500 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What if those very owners support a Christian owned bakery being forced to make a cake for a gay wedding?
There's a thread on this already isn't there? Shouldn't this be merged?

The last time I checked, Hitler fans don't make up a visible minority and it doesn't seem like the Oregon law that got the dumb bakers in trouble really applies.

Incidentally, they made cakes for people getting married for the second, third and fourth times. That of course is not allowed in the bible either, so the bakers in question are hypocrites. "and he who marries one who is divorced from a husband commits adultery."

Old 09-06-2013, 06:22 AM

3,236 posts, read 3,945,560 times
As you'd expect coming from a conservative, the argument is a false one. No one was going to arrest the bakers for refusing to make a cake for gay customers, they were simply douchey to not do so. It's also a normal wedding cake, its not like the asked for a design of someone peeing on Jesus or something. They went out of business because decent people don't want to financially support intolerant bigots.

Why do conservatives still even try to make logical arguments and think they can win? Isn't losing like 5000-0 enough of a drubbing to call it a day

Old 09-06-2013, 06:30 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,011,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think in a free country, a private business owner should be able to deny service yo anyone they want, for any reason they want. State and federal governments should be denied the ability to discriminate, but if a black bakery owner doesn't want to serve an asian, I support his right to be a pigheaded moron.

I totally agree. It's really not a hard concept. Furthermore, why would I want to force someone to take my money that doesn't want my business anyway? I'd rather give my money to someone that appreciates my business.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:33 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,778,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Should a Jewish bakery be forced to make a "Heil Hitler" cake?

No.

Being a Nazi, Neo-Nazi or a member of the KKK etc is NOT a protected class in anti-discrimination law.

Protected class is a characteristic like:

Religion
Race
Disability status
Sexual Orientation (in some states)

How do Nazi's or Heil Hitler cakes fit into that?
Being a Neo-Nazi is a mental disability.

You can't deny someone service simply because of a mental disability; that's discrimination.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:37 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,225,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Should a Jewish bakery be forced to make a "Heil Hitler" cake?

No.

Being a Nazi, Neo-Nazi or a member of the KKK etc is NOT a protected class in anti-discrimination law.

Protected class is a characteristic like:

Religion
Race
Disability status
Sexual Orientation (in some states)

How do Nazi's or Heil Hitler cakes fit into that?

Seriously, it's not rocket science. Why do some people continue to get it wrong over and over again?
Simple solution make it a gay hitler neo nazi cake

Old 09-06-2013, 06:42 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,489,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
What if those very owners support a Christian owned bakery being forced to make a cake for a gay wedding?
Until gays murder 6 million Christians, they need to stop whining and bake those cakes!

Isn't it funny how the "good" Christians are always the ones defending hate, bigotry and specious reasoning, while the "bad" atheists are always promoting love, compassion and sound logic?

Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 AM

1,501 posts, read 1,730,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There should be no protected classes. There should be equal protection under the law for everyone.
There is equal protection. "Protected classes" doesn't define groups that are protected. It defines characteristics of a person that can't be used as a basis for discrimination. Sexual orientation as a "protected class" does not mean that homosexuals as a group are protected. It means that you cannot be discriminated against for your sexual orientation, including being heterosexual. Religion as a protected class, applies to discriminating against Christians as much as it applies to Muslims

Membership in the KKK or a neo-Nazi group is not a protected class, so members can be discriminated against. On the flip side, non-members of such groups can also be legally discriminated against.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:52 AM

3,391 posts, read 4,489,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I think in a free country, a private business owner should be able to deny service yo anyone they want, for any reason they want. State and federal governments should be denied the ability to discriminate, but if a black bakery owner doesn't want to serve an asian, I support his right to be a pigheaded moron.
This is basically a libertarian argument, and like most libertarian arguments, it fails in the real world. Here's why:

There aren't enough black bakers who would refuse service to Asians to have any significant impact on the lives of Asians in this country. If what you described ever happened, it would just be a weird fluke.

However, back in the days of legalized segregation, the refusal by white-owned businesses to serve blacks had a massive negative on the lives of blacks. Such behavior, because it was practiced consistently and en masse, helped shore up and legitimize the relegating of blacks to 2nd-class status.

Contrary to what libertarians say, freedom and equality are not in conflict. In fact, without a large measure of equality, there can be no meaningful freedom.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:53 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,443,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
There should be no protected classes. There should be equal protection under the law for everyone.

You literally have no idea how non-discrimination laws work, do you?

Old 09-06-2013, 06:54 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,443,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkGuy View Post
This is basically a libertarian argument, and like most libertarian arguments, it fails in the real world. Here's why:

There aren't enough black bakers who would refuse service to Asians to have any significant impact on the lives of Asians in this country. If what you described ever happened, it would just be a weird fluke.

However, back in the days of legalized segregation, the refusal by white-owned businesses to serve blacks had a massive negative on the lives of blacks. Such behavior, because it was practiced consistently and en masse, helped shore up and legitimize the relegating of blacks to 2nd-class status.

Comtrary to what libertarians say, freedom and equality are not in conflict. In fact, without a large measure of equality, there can be no meaningful freedom.

+1

Exactly. The sacrifice of dogmatic political philosophy over pragmatism is the #1 reason why politics fail to solve anything in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies