Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2013, 11:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,829,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Thanks for responding.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't asking everyone to tell me in the sense of having to justify yourselves to me, I was asking as someone trying to keep an open mind thinking that maybe I'm missing something. I'm a former gun owner and I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong in thinking that's there's no need for high capacity magazines. I'm trying to learn, not challenging everyone.

Granted that I came on with the idea that's the weapons aren't needed, but I always want to hear all sides. My problem here is that everyone seems by defensive, one guy got all bent out of shape because I mixed up shot guns and said I had something that doesn't exist. Sorry, but it's been 25 years since I had a gun.

I don't think it's right to ban all guns. Instead of trying to explain it to me, I get attacks. Again, I don't mean you HAVE to explain it to me. I'm asking to get your side, but most don't seem to want to have a rational discussion.

Someone sent me a pretty good article about the stopping power of a bullet that has me delving into it more.
You keep saying people (I assume you mean me) over reacted and won't have a discussion, yet you will not actually respond to any of the points I and others have made. Maybe actually participate in the "discussion" where I explained how I did not need to justify ownership based on my rights and then I even did justify ownership just to be helpful and you did not have a single respons, instead you assumed the most popular type of rifle in America should be banned (your original post) and that I and other over react.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2013, 12:27 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,903,846 times
Quote:
Thanks for responding.

Maybe I didn't make myself clear. I wasn't asking everyone to tell me in the sense of having to justify yourselves to me, I was asking as someone trying to keep an open mind thinking that maybe I'm missing something. I'm a former gun owner and I'm open to the possibility that I'm wrong in thinking that's there's no need for high capacity magazines. I'm trying to learn, not challenging everyone.

Granted that I came on with the idea that's the weapons aren't needed, but I always want to hear all sides. My problem here is that everyone seems by defensive, one guy got all bent out of shape because I mixed up shot guns and said I had something that doesn't exist. Sorry, but it's been 25 years since I had a gun.

I don't think it's right to ban all guns. Instead of trying to explain it to me, I get attacks. Again, I don't mean you HAVE to explain it to me. I'm asking to get your side, but most don't seem to want to have a rational discussion.

Someone sent me a pretty good article about the stopping power of a bullet that has me delving into it more.
If you want a valid reason why someone might need a 30 round magazine, I'll give you one. Self defense. It's difficult to know what kind of situation you may end up in, where you may be in this situation, how many attackers you may face, what the stress level might be { assuming very high } or how many times you will miss your target[s] in this situation. It could be something as simple as a home invasion where a ten round magazine may well suffice, or it may be something bigger, like a breakdown of the normal societal structure due to anything from a natural/man-made disaster to even a totalitarian regime. Before you scoff and call me crazy, consider how the Koreans protected their communities with Semi-automatic rifles{ assault rifles } during the L.A. Riots.

When 'assault weapons' saved Koreatown | Human Events

Old 09-10-2013, 04:28 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,282,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
If you want a valid reason why someone might need a 30 round magazine, I'll give you one. Self defense. It's difficult to know what kind of situation you may end up in, where you may be in this situation, how many attackers you may face, what the stress level might be { assuming very high } or how many times you will miss your target[s] in this situation. It could be something as simple as a home invasion where a ten round magazine may well suffice, or it may be something bigger, like a breakdown of the normal societal structure due to anything from a natural/man-made disaster to even a totalitarian regime. Before you scoff and call me crazy, consider how the Koreans protected their communities with Semi-automatic rifles{ assault rifles } during the L.A. Riots.

No, I won't scoff. The natural disaster scenario I can see. But the regime thing is pretty remote. Even if it did happen, you wouldn't stand a chance. Considering Sandy Hook and other similar incidents, it seems that the potential for abuse outweighs the benefits.

People keep asking if we should then take away all knives, etc if someone is killed by one. The damage someone can inflict with a high capacity magazine is far greater than a knife or other means mentioned.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
You keep saying people (I assume you mean me) over reacted and won't have a discussion, yet you will not actually respond to any of the points I and others have made. Maybe actually participate in the "discussion" where I explained how I did not need to justify ownership based on my rights and then I even did justify ownership just to be helpful and you did not have a single respons, instead you assumed the most popular type of rifle in America should be banned (your original post) and that I and other over react.
Your posts have mostly been rantings about how you have a right to have whatever you want, that you don't have to explain anything and other defensive postures. You posted a video of a home invasion and I responded that I thought a handgun would have been sufficient.

You brought up ergonomic handgrips, which is a pretty weak argument. I responded privately to someone who posted a article that I thought was really good and probably the best argument for these weapons. I responded privately because at that time he was the only one that wasn't name calling, chest thumping and overall being a defensive, thin skinned jackass that sounded like a bunker living lunatic.

And yes, the fact that for the most part people here won't or can't engage in a civil conversations speaks volumes.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post

I read the article. Then I did a google search on the same subject. All articles are from extremist sources. Sources like this on the right and left are suspect. Where are the mainstream source articles? The one I found said all the claims like this were "unfounded hyperbole" and "political theater".

I trust less in the NRA and put them in the same category as unions. Organizations that are ruining this country. Thankfully unions are on the decline, but the NRA, unfortunately, is not. When the head of the NRA comes out and says video games do more harm than guns, you lose all credibility.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:08 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
I read the article. Then I did a google search on the same subject. All articles are from extremist sources. Sources like this on the right and left are suspect. Where are the mainstream source articles? The one I found said all the claims like this were "unfounded hyperbole" and "political theater".

I trust less in the NRA and put them in the same category as unions. Organizations that are ruining this country. Thankfully unions are on the decline, but the NRA, unfortunately, is not. When the head of the NRA comes out and says video games do more harm than guns, you lose all credibility.
When the mainstream is anti-gun, most other news sources look extreme.

I can join/leave the NRA at will and it doesn't impact my owning guns. Try working in a union shop and not joining.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:12 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,915,062 times
Quote:
No, I won't scoff. The natural disaster scenario I can see. But the regime thing is pretty remote. Even if it did happen, you wouldn't stand a chance. Considering Sandy Hook and other similar incidents, it seems that the potential for abuse outweighs the benefits.

People keep asking if we should then take away all knives, etc if someone is killed by one. The damage someone can inflict with a high capacity magazine is far greater than a knife or other means mentioned.
I might not stand a chance individually but the gun owning community as a whole will stand a very good chance. Potential for abuse? So you want a pre-crime unit? My mouth can potentially slander someone, should there be limits placed on it?

What is your proposed magazine limits? 10 rounds? What will limit mag changes? Fast Mag Change AR-15 - YouTube Or should we ban anything with a detachable magazine?

Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Quote:
Please explain to me why someone needs a magazine that holds 40-50 rounds or something like a semi-automatic AK-47. I had someone here say that they lived in a rural area that had some not so nice critters and that I understand. But why do you need such a weapon? Why isn't a handgun that holds 9 rounds enough?
Why would the police need anything more than 9 rounds? There lies your answer.

My opinion is that anything the police can justify having a citizen can justify and that is not necessarily because I'm concerned about police state.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:29 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
No use debating trolls here. Go ahead and forfeit your right to self defense Mike930. I will keep mine, thanks.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
When the mainstream is anti-gun, most other news sources look extreme.

I can join/leave the NRA at will and it doesn't impact my owning guns. Try working in a union shop and not joining.
Good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies