Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 01:16 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,818,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
I was driving to work on the freeway and heard the news that a plane had hit the WTC Tower. I thought to myself: "careless pilot". Minutes later, I heard that a second plane had hit and knew something was seriously wrong.

I arrived at the office and my team was trying to access the news websites: USA Today and CNN, and due to the heavy internet traffic that day, we could not access either one. Someone brought in a radio and we received our updates via radio broadcasts.

Any memories?

One World Trade Center, 43rd Floor at impact of AA11. Fourth floor, in stairwell at impact of Two (figured that out later--felt it the explosion.) Chambers street at collapse of Two. Somewhere north of there at collapse of One.

Yes. Lots of memories. Too many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2013, 01:20 PM

498 posts, read 978,087 times
In middle school. I remember being in the library and there was an announcement on the loudspeaker saying that a plane had just hit the world trade center and that the teachers should turn the classroom TVs to a news channel that was covering it.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:36 PM

5,281 posts, read 6,590,770 times
I was at work, in one of my first IT jobs ever. Anyway, I first learned about it when one of the engineers came down and ask my team if we heard the news of some plane hitting the Pentagon. Yes, people often forget that the Pentagon was also attacked on the same day! That is what REALLY caught my attention. I was like "how the hell could they attack the Pentagon"? Anyway, it wasn't until I got home and watched the news that I found out about the World Trade Center.

9/11 was pretty life changing for me. I remember the passing weeks and months trying to talk about it, and I realized at the time how clueless I was about politics. I got deep into my political awareness, and it was a great journey that would bring me to my current worldview. I also think it got me so obsessed with politics, and eventually economics, that it gave me the drive to be successful in my career.

Had 9/11 never happened, I don't think I would have been as driven.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:53 PM

1,006 posts, read 2,216,227 times
I was underwater. I was out on a dive trip in Aruba and learned of the attacks as we got back to the docks. This was followed by being "stuck" in Aruba for 4 or 5 days. While that sounds great, it was a scary time to be out of the country. The Marriott was great at making things work, but it was expensive to stay extra days. Because there were limited flights, the resorts, airlines and government were all working to try and get everyone home. Every morning you would go down and check a board in the lobby to see if your name was on the list that was allowed to leave that day. if you were on the list you had to pack up and head out. if you weren't on the list you could plan your day and activities. unfortunately, we couldn't dive as we never knew when we were leaving and couldn't risk getting a spot and not being able to take it because we were 100 feet down the day before.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:59 PM

14 posts, read 16,138 times
I was at work. I worked in a dry cleaning business and had gone up to the front of the store to get some hangers, while up there I heard on the radio that a plane crashed into the world trade centre. I thought it was an accident so I went back to work not giving it a second thought. Strangely, no one talked about it at work or on the bus. My mom told me what happened when I got home.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:07 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,964 times
Was on CQ duty that day at ft Hood, when I reported in at about 6am the Sgt in charge told me "should be a quiet day", not long after planes were raining from the sky and about 5 hours later the base was on lockdown.

I will NEVER forget that "should be a quiet day"!

Old 09-11-2013, 02:11 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I was at home in Stuttgart. My roomie was calling me to watch the news. I thought it is a movie when it rained people from the tower. They showed very clearly how people fell or jumped out of the building. Very shocking. I still get goose bumps from thinking about it.

My friend said "THIS MEANS WAR, nobody messes with the Americans just like that ...".

It sunk in a few hours later.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
I was at home about 8 miles west of the site watching news when the first plane hit, initial report sounded like probably some small general aviation craft. Second hit left no doubt it was deliberate.

One thing I doubt I'll ever forget is what an absolutely beautiful, cloudless, gorgeous blue sky late summer day it was. How quickly things can change I take as a valuable lesson of life.

Old 09-11-2013, 02:26 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,372,917 times
Living on the west coast, I was asleep. My parents called and advised me to turn on the TV. A few minutes later, the second plane was filmed hitting the tower. I don't remember much after that; I was too numb to think clearly.

Old 09-11-2013, 03:06 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,261,956 times
I was working at home. My husband had just left for work maybe 10 minutes before and he called me and said "turn on the TV." He had heard on the radio that a plane flew into the World Trade Center. I turned on the TV and was watching when the second plane flew into the second tower, when we all realized the first plane was no accident. I was watching live as people were jumping out of the windows. When they replayed footage that night, they had removed all of that. I didn't get much work done that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies