Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2013, 04:31 PM

3,040 posts, read 2,579,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
.... and the deficit is .... what was that ? ... oh yeah, falling at fastest rate in 60 years! Errrr. Errrr.
What the hell has that got to do with this??? Considering the wars are winding down, I'd hope it's falling. We got a lot of debt to pay off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2013, 05:31 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
Who proposed the sequester?
Bush. His administration never believed it would ever be used. It was the A-bomb that was so drastic it was supposed to be the final political threat.
At the time, both parties agreed things would never go that far. Almost everyone signed on with it.

The House GOP tripped the trigger by failing to pass a budget, and Obama just let them have it their way.

Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
in more and more ways. That Repub Sequester is a 98% mistake...

New FBI Chief Says Budget Cuts Threaten Agency's Mission : The Two-Way : NPR

The US Constitution does not allow the Federal Government to have a police force in the first place.

Old 09-13-2013, 06:43 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Believe it or not I support this. I have to ask though........why do people write articles that take 5 or 6 paragraphs to get to the topic and then 4-5 more to explain what they are advocating?

Old 09-13-2013, 06:47 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
First, this was absolutely Obama's idea.
I have never argued otherwise. It's one of the few ideas he has had in the last 5 years that I agree with him on. Good for him for coming up with it.

Quote:
Also, it was absolutely agreed upon by his R counterparts. Nobody thought that Congress would be stupid enough to make this happen.
The only thing stupid was that it wasn't bigger.

Quote:
That said, it's a win either way for all parties. While we all want less deficits, few people are willing to stand up and say how it is to be done or what they are willing to give up for it. Nobody wants to pay more taxes, nobody wants cuts in the few programs that eat up most of the federal budget. Nobody wants to close prisons, reduce school funding, lay off law enforcement, cut seniors healthcare, throw seniors out in to the street, cut the military spending, etc, but we all want to magically have lower taxes and a balanced budget.

This country, all of us, are largely pathetic. We want things to work magically, we don't have any ideas of how to make anything happen, we don't want to pay for things and we don't want to be held accountable for anything ever.
I don't understand......if it was a good thing why would people be described as stupid for allowing it to happen? Should it be that "nobody thought that Congress was smart enough to allow this to actually happen"?

Old 09-13-2013, 11:40 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
To which the GOP agreed. Jesus.
doesnt matter, obama wanted the sequester, in fact he said that ANY attempt to mitigate the sequester would be vetoed by him. that tells me that obama OWNS the sequester, not the republicans. you fail as does the OP.

Old 09-14-2013, 03:34 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The US Constitution does not allow the Federal Government to have a police force in the first place.
Some might wonder, Just how many federal police forces do we need?
FBI, ATF, DEA, Secret Service, US Marshalls, Capital Police, I know I missed a bunch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies