Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you work in the Service Industry - Who are the best Tippers
Whites 58 49.15%
Blacks 8 6.78%
Gay Men 51 43.22%
Lesbians 5 4.24%
Youths 7 5.93%
Hispanics 7 5.93%
Elderly 20 16.95%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2008, 11:17 AM

1,126 posts, read 4,562,371 times

Advertisements

Saw a thread on tipping, and made me think of this....
My straight friend is a bartender at a gay bar, (I know of many straight men working at gay bars) He says he works there because demographically gay men are the best tippers in the business because they are usually professionals with decent jobs with lots of disposal income. He also says, that after more than 20 years in the service industry, straight white women and white collar men (yuppies) also tip very well. He also mentioned that blacks, elderly, youths and lesbians are all notoriously terrible tippers. What do you guys think? Any scientific research done on this?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:37 AM

1,225 posts, read 3,228,875 times
I don't know about all of the groups represented on this poll- it varies by the individual, but I know that my experience has been that gay men tend to tip very well.

Old 07-24-2008, 11:38 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
I'm a gay youth who always tips around 20%.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:16 PM

4,079 posts, read 10,393,276 times
Im a Black male that tips around 15-20%. If the service isn't average expect a below average tip. I mean if I dine at a restaurant and the waiter instantly thinks "wow he's Black, and Blacks don't tip very well" it'll show in the waiter's performance. I will admitt that if I do not have extra money to tip I will NOT dine-in.

Old 07-24-2008, 02:23 PM

3,124 posts, read 4,935,934 times
According to my friends in the industry us gays are good tippers. I flirted notoriously when I worked with gay men because I knew I'd get a better tip from them. The elderly are notriously bad tippers, but hey, they're on a fixed income and they old - give 'em a break. Ethnicities have never seemed to come into play that I've noticed(incidentally, the minimum expected at a bar is $1 per drink regardless. I don't know about you, but I feel stupid tipping a buck for some guy to hand me a bottle of beer..lol).

Old 07-24-2008, 03:40 PM

2,114 posts, read 4,915,323 times
I would say 12-20 year old hispanic men

Old 07-24-2008, 03:52 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,797,732 times
I'm sorry to say... I'm a waiter and whites and gay men are the best tippers. In MY expieriences only (I don't know about what other waiters think). You asked, and I answered, I'm sorry!

That's why many people from the working class neighborhoods in cities choose to work either downtown or in the suburbs.

But that's not to say that ALL whites tip good, or that ALL blacks, hispanics, asians tip bad. Even amongst minority waiters, we tend to all agree that whites and hispanics tip best, blacks are somewhat in the bottom middle, and asians are at the bottom in tip amounts.

One of reasons are that many Asian tourists come to our restaurant and, not knowing that tipping in our country is required, end up stiffing us because they are not used to it in their culture.

One more thing, if there is a poor white neighborhood, the tips will be bad. If there is a poor black neighborhood, the tips will also be bad. Elderly people tend to tip horribly, as well as pretty much all teenagers.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:19 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel and The Dolphin View Post
I flirted notoriously when I worked with gay men because I knew I'd get a better tip from them.
I wish more waiters would flirt with me for a better tip! I'm not a bad looking guy, but it seems like nobody ever tries to push my buttons. (Sigh). There was once a waiter named Chad at a steakhouse up in Niagara Falls, Ontario that I could have sworn was flirting with me. I left him a 30% tip because I was so flattered.

P.S. I know, I know---I'm sad to be hoping to get hit on by a waiter at a restaurant! LOL!

Old 07-24-2008, 04:36 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
I find that mid-aged white women tip the best, especially if they are out in a group drinking and they have a hot male waiter- ME!

Old 07-25-2008, 12:58 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I work in a restaurant and it seems blacks tip the least, but I don't know if its also a self fulfilling prophesy. If a server sees a table with 4 blacks and assumes they won't tip him well, he would probably not serve them as well.....and this might result in the blacks tipping him less.

Some Hispanics (mostly limited to recent immigrants) tip poorly because they don't know the appropriate amount with 15, 18 or 20 percent. I work as a host and one Mexican man actually asked me how much he should tip and I helped him calculate 18 percent from the bill. I've actually seen a Hispanic man offer a tip to a flight attendant on a plane once.

I've heard old people also tip poorly, I don't the truth in that, but I do know that old people are the most annoying customers. Its actually the same in my other job at a pharmacy. Old people, despite not having anything to do in their day except sit around and gossip, are the most impatient, most pushy, rudest people. Maybe its different in the South and the Midwest with traditional values and hospitality, idk. I think young people (college age age below) are the nicest ones and the easiest to deal with and the friendliest. Again this is the East Coast and I've heard in the South the young people are considered less polite and ruder than older folks.

I'm Asian American. I tip 18% usually in a restaurant. Theroretically I'd tip less if the service is bad (and if I'm sure its the servers fault....if the food is slow it can be the ktichens fault and the server should not be blamed). I tip a bit more if its a cute pretty waitress. I usually tip a dollar a drink at a bar, usually more when its multiple drinks or somethign thats harder to make (as opposed to just opening a bottle of Coors.)

There's also an interesting joke, hope I don't get flamed for this....whats the different between a Jew and a canoe? The canoe tips. All in good humor, Jews actually don't tip any less than other whites.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.