Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 11:10 PM

24,408 posts, read 26,964,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saxondale351 View Post
Just watched it. Very interesting. Like the cove it shows a light on things that corporations do not want us to see.
Great film!

I only recently watched it because I normally find these kinds of documentaries, very "stretching the truth" but I saw it was on Netflix and thought it might help me fall asleep faster, so i put it on and... wow... Considering I had an annual pass to Seaworld Orlando, it made so much sense about so many things I've always questioned in my head.

It's a shame because I loved going to Seaworld, but I will no longer support them, ever! Anyone who knows me is shocked when I tell them this because these kinds of things, don't usually change my view, but this one sure did.

*It's still on Netflix*

Old 12-26-2013, 11:27 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
It's just another story that clearly demonstrates just how selfish and irresponsible the human race as a whole is.

These whales are intelligent creatures that belong in the wild. They cannot be adequately kept in captivity and live a full and natural life. It's a fact that keeping them in captivity has an adverse effect on their life.

This fact does not matter to those who view animals as property and unfortunately the law is on their side at the moment.

I had never really thought much about it until I watched the documentary. Keeping whales in captivity for the sole purpose of entertaining humans should be completely outlawed. That's my bottom line.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:35 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,649,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
No animal belongs in captivity. Will you boycott all zoo's and everything like them too? Including any and everything which supports them?
I have.

I can't remember the last time I visited a zoo; maybe 30 years ago.

Back in the late 1950s, when I was a kid, I went often to a large park, Cadwallader Park in Trenton. One of the 'attractions' at the park was a bear, kept in a cage underground with bars across the top (for fresh air, I suppose). I tried many times to think of how I could let that bear out! It was so pitiful. I was only eight or nine years old, but I knew that was inhumane and torture for that poor bear.

If only I had known at the time that bolt-cutters existed!

It even bothers me when people keep hamsters, mice, snakes, etc. in those little glass tanks. These animals were meant to scamper, roam, wander, have a freaking life! Same goes for people who keep their dogs in cages while they go to work. Nine hours in a cage.........holy you-know-what.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:57 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The movie made a point of the fact that trainers learn how to train on the job, and were never fully informed of killer whale's lethality. Killer whales are apex predators who prey on everything that swims.

Until Sea World succeeded in keeping Shamu alive when she was born in a tank to a wild mother, no entertainment like Sea World had ever kept a killer whale alive long enough to breed in captivity. Shamu became their big star, outdoing Flipper's celebrity.

Sea World specifically set about to change people's accurate perceptions of the killer whale from killer to cuddly. Showing off a killer whale taught to do dolphin tricks was much more spectacular than watching dolphins, less than half their size, do the same tricks.

Sea World likedsto present itself as a research institute that just happenes to have a multi-billion dollar business producing aquatic shows. But their research was done only to advance their shows, not the other way around.

Tilikum lives today only because he's a swimming sperm bank that still brings in millions of dollars a year. All Sea World's international competition- the other show parks, marine zoos, and genuine research outfits have all learned how to keep the whales alive now. Is his mental instability around humans hereditary? Or is it a purely killer whale trait? Will his traits become an essential genetic contributor to all captive killer whales who are the results of artificial insemination? No one knows.

If one of Tilikum's get escapes and reproduces, did Sea World create a brand new natural enemy to humanity whenever we are seaborne? No one knows the answer to that one, either.

The trainers no longer get in the tank with killer whales. No more whale riding or being thrown in the air by the whales anymore. They now signal through thick clear plastic barriers because Sea World knows another trainer death will shut them down for good.

And Tilikum now swims around in a smaller tank all alone, crazy as a caged tiger. He will never be released into the open ocean, and will never be seen by the public again.

In reality, there is no difference between him and the trained bears in Europe, with rings in their noses, their fangs sawed off to stumps and their claws all pulled out. The bears are still allowed to 'dance', but the whale doesn't even get that much. All he ever sees is 4 blank walls and the sky.

Meanwhile, Sea World still sells out its shows. The most popular event is still the killer whale splash where all the kids get wet.
Awesome post. I wish more people would see the documentary; Sea world would be less and less attractive.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:00 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Just watched it. Very interesting. Like the cove it shows a light on things that corporations do not want us to see.

No. But I've never understood how places like Sea World can say keeping Killer Whales and Dolphins in an enclosed aquarium is "humane" since both animals have a natural range of thousands of miles in an open ocean.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:00 AM

13,962 posts, read 5,628,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
The movie made a point of the fact that trainers learn how to train on the job, and were never fully informed of killer whale's lethality. Killer whales are apex predators who prey on everything that swims.

Until Sea World succeeded in keeping Shamu alive when she was born in a tank to a wild mother, no entertainment like Sea World had ever kept a killer whale alive long enough to breed in captivity. Shamu became their big star, outdoing Flipper's celebrity.

Sea World specifically set about to change people's accurate perceptions of the killer whale from killer to cuddly. Showing off a killer whale taught to do dolphin tricks was much more spectacular than watching dolphins, less than half their size, do the same tricks.

Sea World likedsto present itself as a research institute that just happenes to have a multi-billion dollar business producing aquatic shows. But their research was done only to advance their shows, not the other way around.

Tilikum lives today only because he's a swimming sperm bank that still brings in millions of dollars a year. All Sea World's international competition- the other show parks, marine zoos, and genuine research outfits have all learned how to keep the whales alive now. Is his mental instability around humans hereditary? Or is it a purely killer whale trait? Will his traits become an essential genetic contributor to all captive killer whales who are the results of artificial insemination? No one knows.

If one of Tilikum's get escapes and reproduces, did Sea World create a brand new natural enemy to humanity whenever we are seaborne? No one knows the answer to that one, either.

The trainers no longer get in the tank with killer whales. No more whale riding or being thrown in the air by the whales anymore. They now signal through thick clear plastic barriers because Sea World knows another trainer death will shut them down for good.

And Tilikum now swims around in a smaller tank all alone, crazy as a caged tiger. He will never be released into the open ocean, and will never be seen by the public again.

In reality, there is no difference between him and the trained bears in Europe, with rings in their noses, their fangs sawed off to stumps and their claws all pulled out. The bears are still allowed to 'dance', but the whale doesn't even get that much. All he ever sees is 4 blank walls and the sky.

Meanwhile, Sea World still sells out its shows. The most popular event is still the killer whale splash where all the kids get wet.
Great post, and the reason why I hate zoos and any other form of animal entertainment.

Old 12-27-2013, 10:11 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,263,400 times
Quote:
I hope the movie causes millions of people NOT to go to Seaworld. That way, it won't be so crowded when I go. The movie and its premise are worthless. Seaworld has been around for quite awhile and this is the first time people have come up with some BS complaint about the way they treat their animals.

What people fail to realize is all the good Seaworld has done, in regards to research, and other ways for animals. Their good has FAR outweighed any bad they maybe and I do mean MAYBE have caused.
Quote:

So you're OK with torturing animals for your entertainment. Understood.

Old 01-13-2014, 02:47 PM

705 posts, read 1,260,344 times
Quote:
I hope the movie causes millions of people NOT to go to Seaworld. That way, it won't be so crowded when I go. The movie and its premise are worthless. Seaworld has been around for quite awhile and this is the first time people have come up with some BS complaint about the way they treat their animals..
Yes, because social media and the internet has made it possible for people to no longer be in the dark. It also doesn't allow Seaworld to continue to lie and swept away incidents. And this isn't the first time, this has just been the most recent.

Quote:
What people fail to realize is all the good Seaworld has done, in regards to research, and other ways for animals. Their good has FAR outweighed any bad they maybe and I do mean MAYBE have caused.
Do you have any examples of all the "good" Seaworld has done? Or did you just skim over their website and press release and just took them for their word?

Old 01-13-2014, 03:51 PM

1,507 posts, read 1,975,435 times
People have been inhumane to animals for performance for ever. From dancing bears that are starved to Elephants being beaten and hooked to make them stand up and walk. I refuse to go to Sea World and their stock has taken a big hit. Never like it anyway. I don't even like the mouse. They want me to pay 100 bucks so I can stand in line in the sun. LOL I don't think so.

Old 01-22-2014, 03:10 PM

857 posts, read 2,217,320 times
Quote:
People have been inhumane to animals for performance for ever. From dancing bears that are starved to Elephants being beaten and hooked to make them stand up and walk. I refuse to go to Sea World and their stock has taken a big hit. Never like it anyway. I don't even like the mouse. They want me to pay 100 bucks so I can stand in line in the sun. LOL I don't think so.

Totally Agree!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies