Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 07:57 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,129,807 times

Advertisements

Cops Are Beating Up an Unarmed Suspect Almost Every Day in Houston | Alternet

"In 2012, almost half the Houstonians arrested during traffic stops were African-Americans, though they make up less than a quarter of the city’s population. Houston Police Department statistics show that white drivers are more likely than black drivers to be carrying contraband, but according to HPD’s annual report on racial profiling—which concludes, “The analysis provides no evidence that officers of the Houston Police Department engage in racial profiling”—officers performed “consent searches” on black drivers in 2012 more than four times as often as on white drivers. A consent search is specifically one made without probable cause."

In the same period, Houston cops reported other officers for excessive force 118 times. Internal Affairs dismissed all but 11.

In total, Internal Affairs sustained just 15—or 2 percent—of the 706 police abuse complaints the past six years, according to department records the Observer obtained through public information requests.

In at least 10 of the 15 sustained complaints, the incident was videotaped. Many say—and internal documents suggest—that videotaped beatings have prompted Houston cops to aggressively prevent citizens from recording their behavior.

When will justice be served??

Old 09-17-2013, 10:37 AM

"Next thing I know, two or three was stomping me and hitting me with those billy clubs upside the head," Van Alston said.
The officers also used a Taser gun multiple times on the 63-year-old man, resulting in severe injuries and his current confinement to a wheelchair.

Source: Man Alleges Pattern of North Chicago Police Brutality | NBC Chicago

Van Alston settled with the city for $90,000, but now he's speaking out because the same officer implicated in his beating, was also involved in the beating death of 45-year-old Darrin Hanna two years later.

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local...#ixzz2fAWcSJL2

Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Justice is hardly ever served in cases like this and this is not just a Houston thing either, it happens everywhere. I was involved in a case where the police abused my husband and we also sued and settled.

Unfortunately, many people who are beaten and harassed do not make complaints or their complaints are not taken seriously and are just shelved and too many of us Americans are willing to let the police practically terrorize people because they are afraid of certain minorities or genders. Until it happens to someone in their circle, they don't care.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Justice is hardly ever served in cases like this and this is not just a Houston thing either, it happens everywhere. I was involved in a case where the police abused my husband and we also sued and settled.

Unfortunately, many people who are beaten and harassed do not make complaints or their complaints are not taken seriously and are just shelved and too many of us Americans are willing to let the police practically terrorize people because they are afraid of certain minorities or genders. Until it happens to someone in their circle, they don't care.
I have several stories, and know of other people who have horror stories as well. A lot of bad things are happening to good people at the hands of the Police.

There's the legal issue of course, but people also don't think about the financial burden (court fees and/or lawyer fees), emotional strain (anxiety, depression, and other mental health affects), and loss of wages that many people suffer because of Police misconduct and down right malice.

I think its unacceptable for some Americans to complain about crime when they won't even ensure that their "supposed" allies are honest upstanding citizens.

The issue is one of the biggest in the country. We house more people in raw numbers than China and India despite the minuscule population in comparison. Many for minor non-violent drug offenses. Certain portions of the population are being jailed at extremely high rates while other portions of the population break the law with near impunity.

There has been no legislation proposed to combat the issue lately besides Indiana's law that I know of. I believe it should be an issue addressed nationally.

Old 09-18-2013, 12:48 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
The Houston PD has long had a reputation as one of the most brutal and corrupt departments in the nation, right "down there' with the New Orleans PD...

Old 09-18-2013, 03:35 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
I'd guess this is probably becoming more the rule than the exception across the country. Seattle PD has some kind of snafu seemingly once every other month or so. Beatings, questionable shootings, cops busted for DUI, sexual harassment of female cops, etc.

The cops are almost never held accountable. They're put on paid "administrative leave." When one of them gets fired, it's almost like seeing the sun rise over the Pacific. The taxpayer is held accountable sometimes, due to the inevitable lawsuits.

Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Unhappy *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe
When will justice be served??
Not soon enough!!!!

Cops are way outta control!!

This is very sad.......

Old 09-18-2013, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
I'd guess this is probably becoming more the rule than the exception across the country. Seattle PD has some kind of snafu seemingly once every other month or so. Beatings, questionable shootings, cops busted for DUI, sexual harassment of female cops, etc.

The cops are almost never held accountable. They're put on paid "administrative leave." When one of them gets fired, it's almost like seeing the sun rise over the Pacific. The taxpayer is held accountable sometimes, due to the inevitable lawsuits.
That is very true.

Not only are we collectively paying for their services, we're also paying for their mistakes that harm us. All while they take paid vacations on our tax dollars.

Old 09-18-2013, 06:26 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,174,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Not soon enough!!!!

Cops are way outta control!!

This is very sad.......

I disagree. As long as you do the following, your encounter with a law enforcement officer will go without incident:

1. Keep you hands in plain view
2. Don't ask questions or challenge the reason you are stopped
3. Comply with all instructions of the officer

Your opportunity to question why you were stopped will occur where it belongs which is in front of a judge.

Old 09-18-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
I disagree. As long as you do the following, your encounter with a law enforcement officer will go without incident:

1. Keep you hands in plain view
2. Don't ask questions or challenge the reason you are stopped
3. Comply with all instructions of the officer

Your opportunity to question why you were stopped will occur where it belongs which is in front of a judge.
Are you an American or slave? You sound like a slave.

And by the way, that's terrible advice your giving out. Your basically telling people to bow down to the Police if they don't want to get hurt.

You must not be informed about the thousands of incidents where people do all of the above and are still taken advantage of by the Police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies