Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 07:14 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yep, that inflation is just destroying us .... errr... wait a sec??
If There’s No Inflation, Why Are Prices Up So Much?

Many of the costs faced by typical American households are rising faster than the official inflation statistics indicate.

Read more: If There

It is indeed harming the low and working class.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2013, 07:19 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Yep, that inflation is just destroying us .... errr... wait a sec??
When the printing stops, who is going to fund your welfare at 0 percent interest? Hmmmmm??

Old 09-21-2013, 07:29 AM

45,229 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Nope nothing to see here folks, inflation is all in your imagination.
Beef Prices Set New Record Highs | My View From The Country

Quote:
If the headline looks familiar, it is because it was the same in July. I suspect that it will be a headline that gets reused in the near future as well.

Retail beef prices rose nearly 4¢ in August to reach $5.394/lb. From a rancher’s perspective, the price increase was especially good news in that the increase went almost 100% to the ranch level. The wholesale to retail, and farm to wholesale spreads continued to narrow slightly, proving yet again that is the producers who hold the leverage in this current market.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:00 AM

9,470 posts, read 6,971,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
This is the point in your message where your partisan perspective finally overwhelmed the validity of what you were writing.

To ensure that this thread has a message of some redeemable value, I'll mention that Janet Yellen now seems to be Bernake's heir apparent in truth.
No, he's just pointing out that Obama is completely economically illiterate.

I predict that when things so sour, Obama will be gone from the presidency.

I also predict that when things go bad, Obama will be gleeful. It's what he wants.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Bernanke has found out that once you start feeding this beast there is no going back.
Bernanke will leave and this burden will fall on the next guy/gal to take his place.

Old 09-21-2013, 09:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
No, he's just pointing out that Obama is completely economically illiterate.
Which everyone know is utter nonsense.

The petulant refusal to acknowledge that reasonable people disagree about priorities is one of the right-wing's biggest failings.

Quote:
I predict that when things so sour, Obama will be gone from the presidency.
President Obama will serve his full term. Even though you don't like it. Even though it doesn't serve your ridiculous rhetoric.

Quote:
I also predict that when things go bad, Obama will be gleeful. It's what he wants.
Here's another good example of right-wing refusal to acknowledge that reasonable people disagree, and otherwise demonstrate the ability to respect opposing viewpoints.

I don't claim that the right-wingers in Congress and running red states are "gleeful" about how they make the lives of those most vulnerable in society miserable and otherwise seek to marginalize the working poor. I say that they are egoistic and avaricious: In other words, in their minds, they have little or no obligation to those less fortunate, and instead are empowered and righteous in pursuing what's best for their own comfort and luxury. They're not stupid. They're not morons. They're not evil-doers plotting deliberately to cause misery. The misery they're responsible for isn't their goal, it is a consequence which either they feel is justified and acceptable, or simply don't care about. I have no doubt that they are reasonable enough to pursue a different approach that benefits them just as much and harms others less, if it was obvious to them.

It's a matter of accepting that they are reasonable people who simply have different values. Which I do. Their values are corrupt, and self-centered, etc., but they are their values, and their perspectives are reasonable given those values (even if their behaviors and tactics are disreputable in the pursuit thereof).

By contrast, much of the putrid rhetoric directed at notable Democrats like the president is in the form of over-the-top demonification, and other indefensible presumptions of the lack of legitimacy of the opposing perspective.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:51 AM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post

What an incredibly childish response you've posted. I called out your extremist right-wing perspective and you apparently expect an unrebutted soapbox for such nonsense. Ridiculous.
What are you a Mussolini Black Shirt?

It is "extremist right-wing" to point out facts on how the economy is not recovering?

Hail Obama, I tremble before your NSA, Obama is America and America is Obama!

Old 09-21-2013, 11:01 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post

It is "extremist right-wing" to point out facts on how the economy is not recovering?

Hail Obama, I tremble before your NSA, Obama is America and America is Obama!
BUU is a professional propagandist.

Our tax money is probably paying him.

For now.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:12 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,707,908 times
Quote:
I'm holding you accountable for what you posted. Stop trying to evade responsibility for what you wrote.

Quote:
You evidently have failed to remember the context of this fight you've been waging. In a discussion of monetary policy, promulgated by a Fed Chair originally appointed by a previous POTUS, who as a matter of fact, was a Republican, you decided to try to place blame on the current POTUS. Your action was ridiculous beyond measure, I called your comments out on that fact, and you've failed repeatedly to maturely and reasonably accept repudiation of your corrupted comment. Yes: "Extremist" right-wing is the correct label for this nonsense you've been engaging in since the first message in the thread. You've established very well, just from how you refuse to admit your failure, that extremist nature.

You hate the president, personally, viscerally. We heard you loud and clear. Message received. Give it a break. It isn't relevant to the discussion.

Old 09-22-2013, 05:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech
GDP is the sum of products and service sold in a unit of time. Increasing the money supply isn't a proxy for GDP. What may happen is increasing the money supply makes it easier to borrow money for products and services people want to buy. (It's easier to buy a home when interest rates are 4% compared to 9%.)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Which is an artificial asset bubble created to make things look better than they are. As we have seen over and over these bubbles always burst.
Sorry, when the Fed creates an accommodating monetary environment to borrow, real cars get made and sold, real houses get built as well as other products and services. Real people build those things and receive real paychecks, which they then spend in the economy, which collectively raises GDP. There is nothing artificial about it. Those are real people , houses, cars and paychecks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies