Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 08:54 AM

25,758 posts, read 18,818,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaPirate355 View Post
Just like the title says.

I know plenty of people who say some nasty things about Christians, much of it is down right hateful and bigoted. But yet no one seems to get up in arms over it like they do for Muslims and Gays (which ironically liberals both support, even though the two groups will NEVER get along in real life). Why is it okay to hate Christians but yet not okay to hate those groups? What is with the double standard? I know plenty of people who would certainly qualify as Christianphobes.

BTW I am not advocating that it should be okay to hate Muslims or gays, it's not. Just pointing out the hypocrisy and the double standard.
It's the same old song: my thoughts, beliefs, actions, and opinions must be shared by everyone because I'm universally right. That's nothing new.

Beyond that, I think the first thing that has changed is the recent militancy of this "my way" attitude--you WILL believe as I do. If you don't, I will make your life miserable.

Second thing is the rise of hypocrisy. It's perfectly okay to proclaim "tolerance" and then proceed to be intolerant. Tolerance has come to mean that it's okay for you to believe as you like, as long as it's the same as I believe. I will respect you as long as you are just like me.

The thing that surprises me (I guess it shouldn't) is that these people do not see that they have become just like those they were "rebelling against." It would be like a group of Spanish citizens revolting against the horrors of the Spanish Inquisition and then proceeding to set up their own "Spanish Inquisition." It makes no logical sense. But it is largely human nature.

Old 09-22-2013, 10:49 AM

3,130 posts, read 3,075,141 times
Quote:

I know plenty of people who say some nasty things about Christians, much of it is down right hateful and bigoted. But yet no one seems to get up in arms over it like they do for Muslims and Gays (which ironically liberals both support, even though the two groups will NEVER get along in real life). Why is it okay to hate Christians but yet not okay to hate those groups? What is with the double standard? I know plenty of people who would certainly qualify as Christianphobes.

BTW I am not advocating that it should be okay to hate Muslims or gays, it's not. Just pointing out the hypocrisy and the double standard.
A lot of this has to do with power structure. Currently, in this country, gays and Muslims are marginalized, at least to some extent. Christians generally are well represented in the power structure, so outside of certain circles, Christianphobia simply isn't going to stick, whereas homophobia and Islamophobia will have major repercussions on gays and Muslims, respectively.

Inside certain circles, however, where the power structure is different (for example, the gay community, some academic communities, etc.), Christianphobia does exist, because there is nothing wrong with gays or scholars or biologists being Christians. They aren't going to be the ones that are going to cause problems anyway. In that case, I definitely agree that a double standard exists, and it's hypocritical and wrong. Once again, not everybody in those groups are Christianphobes; rather, hateful and bigoted comments against Christians are tolerated within the power structure and Christians in those groups can feel marginalized at times.

The main thing though is that gay Christians and academic/scholar Christians aren't the ones complaining about Christianphobia. It's usually the ones who would have no problem expressing hatred and bigotry towards groups that aren't like them.

So in summary... hate is wrong.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:32 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,737,946 times
Quote:

Really? Where are Christians targeted around here? Typically, when you're in the majority, you don't have a lot to worry about.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:38 AM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
Really? Where are Christians targeted around here? Typically, when you're in the majority, you don't have a lot to worry about.
Did you read what you just quoted? About the hate filled language people use in reference to Christians?

Hateful language against Muslims and Gays is called Homophobia and Islamophobia. It's what this thread is about!

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-22-2013, 12:13 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:

While there are some who do actually simply hate Christianity, most people who 'fight it' aren't really fighting Christianity. For example, there are Christian fundamentalists who believe creationism should be taught along side or over evolution. This is absolutely insane. Denying evolution with no scientific reason is simply stupid. If one believes in God, I don't care, it's the idea that Genesis is word for word correct and the Earth is 6,000 years old. It's nuts. We need scientifically literate voters in this country if we want to remain an important influence on the world. As Bill Nye put it, innovation in technology is extremely important in the modern world and to do this, we need science to drive the creativity and knowledge to keep up.

When talking about 'Islamiphobia,' it's generally not a fear that is based on rational thought. Perfect example would be that Mosque on Ground Zero. Anyone with half a brain could tell you that the construction of that Mosques was not a sign of Islamic victory; it was just a Mosque. And it's one thing to have people think that, but elected officials were backing this. A quote from Herman Cain: "Our constitution protects us from their Mosque." That's insane. It should "THE constitution protects THEIR Mosque... from US." Islamiphobia is, simply put, the irrational assumption that all Muslims agree with the extremists who practice terrorism.

Homophobia is another interesting issue, an issue many Christians like to claim is oppressing them. It's not. See, gay people getting married doesn't affect anyone's life. People say stuff like 'how am i supposed to explain to my kid that two men are getting married.' How indeed, but it's your kid. You figure it out. The problem with homophobia is people seem to think it's the literal fear of homosexuals. Not really. It's the idea that they are lesser (or that they've chosen to be gay, which, come on, that doesn't even make sense). This is wrong.

going back to my Herman Cain quote, let's think about what he said. He advocates freedom of religion... but he really doesn't. He advocates freedom of Christianity; other religions don't matter. And I think we all know a church could probably be built directly on Ground Zero, and there would still be far less controversy that building a Mosque a few blocks away. The idea that Christianity is being oppressed in this country is laughably stupid. We're developing in society; that's it. We're recognizing that we've less religion influence our country to much and this is slowly changing. Religious freedom is still in tact, it's just that separation of church and state is beginning to be revived and practiced in full.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:20 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
(a lot of believers) advocate (for) freedom of Christianity; other religions don't matter.The idea that Christianity is being oppressed in this country is laughably stupid.
B...but the Liberal Atheist Fascist Army is coming to force them into having abortions and engaging in gay sex acts!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:23 PM

2,040 posts, read 2,459,601 times
Dude.....I opposed a mosque at ground zero and I'm an Atheist.

It's the entire idea of it THERE. It's insensitive.

Muslim always want everyone to be sensitive about their beliefs and if you aren't, they riot and murder people.

Well guess what....when it comes to ground zero AMERICANS get sensitive too.

Posted with TapaTalk

Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,095,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bludy-L View Post
Dude.....I opposed a mosque at ground zero and I'm an Atheist.

It's the entire idea of it THERE. It's insensitive.

Muslim always want everyone to be sensitive about their beliefs and if you aren't, they riot and murder people.

Well guess what....when it comes to ground zero AMERICANS get sensitive too.

Posted with TapaTalk
They riot and murder people? When's the last time that happened in America?

I simply fail to see how it's insensitive. What, because some Muslims attacked us they can't build a Mosque near that location? I really don't care if people get offended by that. Just because someone's offended, doesn't mean they're right.

The reality of 9/11 is this: we were attacked my Islamic extremists. Not by Muslims. Every Muslim I've ever met is just a decent as the next guy, and I have yet to meet someone who hasn't said the same thing about Muslims they've met. I can honestly say one of the worst things about 9/11 is how it's changed this country. We now think it ok to generalize Muslims. If I said all Christians are racist because of the KKK, I'd get a ridiculous amount of backlash. But to say all Muslims are terrorists because of Al Queda, only some would actually care. This is stupid, especially in a country with religious freedom.

And just to finish on a really strong point, the constitution of the United States defends their right to build their Mosques where ever they want (so long as they own property; can't build a Mosque over someone elses house, but unlike the ground zero issue, a Church couldn't either).

Old 09-22-2013, 12:43 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
The liberals pretend, of course, that they are doing nothing to oppose Christians or other religions.

They simply point out that the 1st amendment forbids government from having anything to do with religion (which, in fact, is not true, but that's an argument for another thread).

And then they do their best to make sure government extends into every part of our (formerly private) lives they can. And once govt is involved with the newest part, they must, of course, forbid religion there, and kick it out.

But, oppose religion? Oh, no, they would never think of doing that. They said so!

Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,336,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
...they do their best to make sure government extends into every part of our (formerly private) lives they can.
Of course, this is 100% every bit equally as true of neocons/Republicans as it is of liberals/Democrats.

Anyone who can't see that is a myopic, hypocritical partisan hack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies