Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 12:30 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,194,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoddahouse View Post
The majority of people who think they're conservative in this country are always crying about government spending and taxes. What I never hear about though, is the cost to the country of our subsidy of religion. We subsidize religion by making donations tax exempt on a state and local level along with not charging property tax to religious buildings, etc.

It's time time for conservatives who claim to be against big government and taxes to push to end this type of subsidy. There's no reason for the government to be subsidizing religion. People are perfectly able to have religion without the government paying for it and it's not exactly fair to those who don't believe.

Real conservatives need to stand up on this issue. $82,000,000,000 is a lot of money ever year.
If you want to remove the tax exempt status for religious organizations you need to remove them for all.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattCW View Post
I fail to see how a lack of collection implies an act of providing. A subsidy would be the government providing some type of funding.
Actually most subsidies are tax breaks.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:32 PM

79,908 posts, read 44,366,138 times
Quote:
The majority of people who think they're conservative in this country are always crying about government spending and taxes. What I never hear about though, is the cost to the country of our subsidy of religion. We subsidize religion by making donations tax exempt on a state and local level along with not charging property tax to religious buildings, etc.

It's time time for conservatives who claim to be against big government and taxes to push to end this type of subsidy. There's no reason for the government to be subsidizing religion. People are perfectly able to have religion without the government paying for it and it's not exactly fair to those who don't believe.

Real conservatives need to stand up on this issue. $82,000,000,000 is a lot of money ever year.
What you are complaining about is two fold. But the biggest is your problem with non profits being tax exempt. Your bigotry does not allow you to see the big picture.

There are many organizations treated in the same way. From museums to local health care clinics. You don't see "conservatives" complaining that museums are not taxed.

Take the blinders off and try again.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
What are some examples? Community work in Central America, Haiti or Africa? How about doing some work here for OUR citizens?
We had some flooding in our area after Hurricane Lee and the churches easily made the largest impact especially for the first few days as they were only ones able to respond quickly. Most of them in my area have very large kitchens, they were driving around in cars for three weeks handing out water, food and cleaning supplies. You could also go to the church for meal. When I say a meal I'm not talking about ham sandwiches, they were doing roast beef, chicken etc.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Private school tuition
The Catholic church subsidizes their schools, the parents are only paying part of the bill. They lift a substantial burden from public schools.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:43 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,408,465 times
Quote:

Why don't you get in touch with Lois Lerner? I bet she would be willing to work w/ you on this project.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:44 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,366,433 times
Quote:

Are you making the claim that liberals; i.e., Democrats, don't make donations to Churches? Are there no liberals who go to church? You are all heathens?

You are also making the charge that we (society) don't get a return on that money.

Are you against helping the needy? That is a big part of what churches spend their money on. One of our former churches made semi-annual trips to Haiti to help with a Hospital. Then there are food banks, shelters, and other types of relief programs that churches run.

Would you rather the government run all these programs, as inefficiently as it runs everything else? It would likely cost you more.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:45 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,290,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The Catholic church subsidizes their schools, the parents are only paying part of the bill. They lift a substantial burden from public schools.
That was what I was pointing too, yes. In Chicago, and I forget which group, the private schools charge a tiny fraction of the education cost and deliver superior education results.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:47 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,927,051 times
Here's an excellent way to save $82 billion per year right here.

Old 09-22-2013, 12:49 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,366,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
What are some examples? Community work in Central America, Haiti or Africa? How about doing some work here for OUR citizens?
Do you think that the churches don't do any work here in America? Please.

Perhaps if you went to church, you might find out just how much work the churches do. But, you'd rather sit around on Sunday, smoke cigarettes and drink beer in front of the TV set.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies