Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2013, 09:24 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,232,710 times

Advertisements

More taxes is not the answer we will just spend it, or if you think more taxes are the answer how much more?
we are rocking along like 17 trillion is nothing yet it is eating more and more of our gdp through maintain interest payments?
Are there any answers or are we headed one day in to default?
The only answer I see is for the economy to expand and grow at rates we have not seen in years while we do real cuts to more than defense

Old 09-26-2013, 09:26 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,557,218 times
There's nothing we can do.

Congress is quite happy to just continue spending, continue to promise other countries more money and raise the debt ceiling.

We are invincible

Old 09-26-2013, 09:28 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,232,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
There's nothing we can do.

Congress is quite happy to just continue spending, continue to promise other countries more money and raise the debt ceiling.

We are invincible
That is the feeling I get to. But I do wonder at what point it will become an issue we will deal with 50 trillion debt?

Old 09-26-2013, 09:40 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,509,919 times
I know what I'd do if I were your military complex; I'd confiscate that can that keeps getting kicked down the road, analyze the molecular make-up of that sucker and start building tanks and ships out of that, as it's proven to be completely indestructible.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM

2,083 posts, read 1,622,276 times
We'll be over $20 trillion in the hole by the end of Obama's second term, but does that number actually mean anything to people? Do we not care? Is the fact that today we spend as much on interest as we do on food and agriculture, transportation and education COMBINED? $250 billion of what the US collects this year will be wasted on interest payments.

By the next Presidential election, our annual interest payment will be around $400 billion. But I think people just don't care as long as the government keeps humming along, keeps making promises they can't keep and we dig ourselves deeper and deeper into a hole.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:41 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,674,574 times
Oh, I can't wait for the uneducated armchair economists to regale us with their wisdom of the national debt.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:44 AM

7,272 posts, read 4,219,899 times
Quote:
Oh, I can't wait for the uneducated armchair economists to regale us with their wisdom of the national debt.
Are you an educated economist ? What is your solution to the problem ? It's more like 200 Trillion when you figure in promised entitlements according to the CBO.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:45 AM

45,613 posts, read 27,240,441 times
Three phases... Production, taxes, spending

Production - Regulations hinder production right now. They should protect the consumer with a small impact on production. Lower minimum wages to allow business to hire more people. Increasing production should be main goal.

Taxes - Everyone over 20 pays 10% on income generated. Maybe also a poverty rate of 3%-5%. No behavior based tax credits (mortgage interest, charity, green energy use, etc). Defangs IRS and remove a bunch of their personnel - which saves money, and put those people into the private marketplace where they can be productive.

Spending - Obviously needs to be cut everywhere since they are out of control. Basically the people need to get with it and put people into office who have the heart to cut spending and balance the books.

That's off the top of my head... obviously highly unlikely to occur.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:48 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,449,127 times
Grow the economy... Duh. You do that by investing in infrastructure, education, manufacturing, etc.

You can't go from deficit to surplus by cutting services and making America poorer. Remember, deficit is spending - revenue.

Old 09-26-2013, 09:50 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,674,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Production - Regulations hinder production right now. They should protect the consumer with a small impact on production. Lower minimum wages to allow business to hire more people. Increasing production should be main goal.
Name one single regulation you would end, and tell us by how much production would increase by ending it. Every civilized country in the world has a minimum wage; that's not going down and it's not going away.

Quote:
Taxes - Everyone over 20 pays 10% on income generated. Maybe also a poverty rate of 3%-5%. No behavior based tax credits (mortgage interest, charity, green energy use, etc). Defangs IRS and remove a bunch of their personnel - which saves money, and put those people into the private marketplace where they can be productive
1996 called. They want their stupid tax proposal back. This is a regressive tax structure. That's what we have now (this is even more regressive), and it's one reason why the income inequality in this country is getting worse everyday.

Quote:
Spending - Obviously needs to be cut everywhere since they are out of control. Basically the people need to get with it and put people into office who have the heart to cut spending and balance the books.
Oh, the old refrain of "cut spending," "it's out of control!" without listing a single thing you would cut. You will not make a dent unless you cut social security, medicare, and/or defense. So which of those will you cut, and what is your solution to the backlash that will ensue? How many old people's benefits would you like to eliminate?

Quote:
That's off the top of my head... obviously highly unlikely to occur.
Right, highly unlikely, because all you did was spew GOP talking points from the past ten years. (Actually like 20 years with that ridiculous Steve Forbes flat tax proposal.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies