Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 11:19 AM

1,480 posts, read 2,797,058 times

Advertisements

The media is always saying that John Boehner, the Republican Speaker of the House, should just let the Congress do an up and down vote on the Government Shut Down, even though it will likely result in him losing his job. They say he is selfish for holding out and should put the good of the country over the Tea Party and his own job.

Interesting perspective, but what if he did allow a vote, the Tea Party loses and Government Shut Down ends with the help of all the Democrats and a few liberal Republicans?

80% of the Republicans in the House, who lost in the vote, would go nuts, John Boehner would be replaced as Speaker by someone even more conservative and what will happen going forward with The President's Agenda?

Old 10-05-2013, 11:53 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
I wouldn't mind seeing Boehner go. But I have to admit he's in a lousy spot. Whiny Dems have insisted on shutting down the gov unless they get their $1 trillion in unfunded new spending for O'Care. IMO, let them have this, but don't budge on debt limit. Make congress agree where we will have to cut....rather it's O'Care or something else. Every thinking person agrees we can't keep spending 50% more than we bring in indefinitely.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:03 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,709,672 times
I think the OP is thinking about the process too logically, when what is being talked about is a pretty non-logical sequence of events by its very nature. That's not to say that Boehner wouldn't be replaced by a rabid right-winger, but rather that maybe he will maybe he won't. The puerile attitude that would bring about his ouster would be just as likely to choose someone roughly of the same political stripes as Boehner, because that attitude's interest would be exacting its pound of flesh for the perceived failures and not much more than that. After satiating that blood-thirst, it is as likely as not that cooler heads will prevail, realizing that a rabid right-winger would more than likely set the stage for a radically negative reaction to congressional Republicans in the next election.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:29 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
The question is who would do better? the number 2 man is Cantor and that is not much of a change. The number 3 guy is McCartney? who spent 100 thousand for coffee and donuts for his staff and guest. I can 't think of anyone who I could say would do better.

Old 10-06-2013, 04:32 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,017,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I can 't think of anyone who I could say would do better.
How about Harrier?

Old 10-06-2013, 04:49 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,203,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing Boehner go. But I have to admit he's in a lousy spot. Whiny Dems have insisted on shutting down the gov unless they get their $1 trillion in unfunded new spending for O'Care. IMO, let them have this, but don't budge on debt limit. Make congress agree where we will have to cut....rather it's O'Care or something else. Every thinking person agrees we can't keep spending 50% more than we bring in indefinitely.
The problem is Boehner did cave on the debt limit in the past.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:15 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,449,854 times
There is an element in all of this - totally justified, IMHO - of "better the devil you know." While I, too, wouldn't mind seeing Boehner go, I really wouldn't like to see Cantor get the job. Now there's a nut.

The problem as I see it is, if not Boehner, who? I don't know of any House Republican who would be able to back out of the no-win situation the GOP has gotten itself into. And the situation does have to be resolved. At some point, self-preservation has to kick in. If the GOP is perceived to be responsible for economic chaos (and yeah, that's what would happen if the debt limit isn't raised) or the party responsible for denying health care to millions of people, the very real potential is there for voter backlash, and the GOP losing their majority in the House.

What I'd like to see happen - maybe not for the current situation but going forward - is for House Democrats and Republicans to meet in the middle, and agree that in the future, no matter which party is in power in Congress or the White House, any budget continuing resolution must be "clean" and when needed, the debt ceiling must be raised without political blackmail.

But I'm not holding my breath.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:17 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,946,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Just to remind you...or inform you, which ever the case, tax law has been changed by law to add a .9% surtax to those making 200k gross anunal income.

Those taxes dallars are coming in.

Old 10-06-2013, 05:32 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,367,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
How about Harrier?
First you have to win a seat. But if you make your staff buy their own coffee and donuts and run the lowest budget of any House member I would consider it

Old 10-06-2013, 05:34 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,465,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm Retired Now View Post
The media is always saying that John Boehner, the Republican Speaker of the House, should just let the Congress do an up and down vote on the Government Shut Down, even though it will likely result in him losing his job. They say he is selfish for holding out and should put the good of the country over the Tea Party and his own job.
The media has a liberal bias and has for years now. Despite their protests to the contrary, it has been proven. Harry Reid went over 3 years in the Senate without allowing a budget to come up for a vote, despite that being a violation of his oath of office - the constitution requires the Senate to vote on a budget. But did the media hold him accountable for that? Nope.
Quote:
Interesting perspective, but what if he did allow a vote, the Tea Party loses and Government Shut Down ends with the help of all the Democrats and a few liberal Republicans?
The Tea Party doesn't lose - the American system of government loses. America isn't a dictatorship or a monarchy. The government is set up with an intentional separation of powers which liberals ignore when they are in the majority. The fact is that of the 17 times that government has shut down, the Democrats have caused it as often as not. Back when Bush was president they called dissent the highest form of patriotism. But now that they are the majority, dissent is obstructionism.
Quote:
80% of the Republicans in the House, who lost in the vote, would go nuts, John Boehner would be replaced as Speaker by someone even more conservative and what will happen going forward with The President's Agenda?
The President's agenda is a failure. Either it will be stopped from going through, in which case it fails. Or it will go through and it will fail just like the stimulus did, just like Solyndra did, just like the Russian reset of relations did, just like saving Detroit did, just like bringing peace to the middle east did, just like lowering unemployment did. In his entire time in office, Obama hasn't accomplished anything. Even if one likes his policies, the fact is that he hasn't executed any of them with any degree of skill or effectiveness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies