Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2013, 07:09 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times

Advertisements

The libs on this board are screaming about the "government shutdown". In my opinion, this is a very good thing, as this is a path to stop all the government waste. Social security checks are going out. People have medicare coverage. The military still functions. What else do we need?

It seems as though the libs (who crave the government- the rest of us can live without it and rely upon our local state governments for nearly everything) are "holding America hostage" in order to ram Obamacare down the throats of the people.

Why not a national referendum on Obamacare and see what the American people think? Then we could find out if the balance of Americans really want this, or just insane liberals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,299,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The libs on this board are screaming about the "government shutdown". In my opinion, this is a very good thing, as this is a path to stop all the government waste. Social security checks are going out. People have medicare coverage. The military still functions. What else do we need?

It seems as though the libs (who crave the government- the rest of us can live without it and rely upon our local state governments for nearly everything) are "holding America hostage" in order to ram Obamacare down the throats of the people.

Why not a national referendum on Obamacare and see what the American people think? Then we could find out if the balance of Americans really want this, or just insane liberals.
There was a national referendum the 2012 elections. President Obama won by over 5million votes 332 electoral votes.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:17 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,819,312 times
Quote:

You mean, aside from the fact that no such things as "national referendums" exist? States hold elections. The federal government does not.

While we're at it, we could put gun control or tax increases or the question 'Do you support trying to defund the Affordable Care Act?' to whatever you think a "national referendum" entails.

Except that I would never advocate governing in such an idiotic fashion.

YMMV

Last edited by Unsettomati; 10-03-2013 at 07:27 AM..

Old 10-03-2013, 07:20 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
There was a national referendum. It was called the Presidential election. ACA was a central focal point for debate and discussion and the nation chose ... the President and the policies he said he would implement. The law was passed by the U.S. Congress, its constitutionality upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. Let's not succumb to extorsion by anarchists and other Anti-Americans who are attacking our national values. As Sen. McCain said the other day, "Elections have consequences." The people have spoken.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,674,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomexico View Post
There was a national referendum. It was called the Presidential election. ACA was a central focal point for debate and discussion and the nation chose ... the President and the policies he said he would implement. The law was passed by the U.S. Congress, its constitutionality upheld by the U.S. Supreme Court. Let's not succumb to extorsion by anarchists and other Anti-Americans who are attacking our national values. As Sen. McCain said the other day, "Elections have consequences." The people have spoken.

"The people have spoken"?

I guess you don't realize that presidential elections involve many issues and topics. Obama won 2012, IN SPITE of the majority of Americans opposing Obamacare. To state that Obama won 2012 DUE TO OBAMACARE is statitically incorrect and fallacious.

So why then do 59% of Americans OPPOSE OBAMACARE?

PS- There are state referendums and the process is intact. Each state is able, and can have a referendum, which would in effect, be a "national" referendum.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:24 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamme73 View Post
There was a national referendum the 2012 elections. President Obama won by over 5million votes 332 electoral votes.
5 million out of 207 million eligible voters is 2.4%... that's a national referendum? 2.4%... What is not a national referendum? 1%?

Old 10-03-2013, 07:25 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
As usual, the lefties replying here have predictably claimed that the presidential election was about one single issue.

How insulting. As if every citizen is a "one issue voter." But if you ask those same lefties if THEY are one issue voters, they will emphatically respond that they're not. They'll tell you how smart they are, and how they carefully consider lots of aspects of their candidates.

Of course, that's not true. They're merely cheerleaders who are voting for the high school prom king.

But they actually believe that everyone else is just too dumb to consider more than just one issue - which happens to be the one being discussed at the moment - when casting their vote. What's funny about that is the fact that those same people who are too dumb to consider multiple issues when casting a ballot are the same dumb people that re-elected a terrible president.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:28 AM

11,761 posts, read 14,659,204 times
I appreciate the suggestion, but I'd just as soon stick with the system of legislation that our Founders established in the Constitution.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:31 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,496,683 times
Quote:
I guess you don't realize that presidential elections involve many issues and topics.
I do. But I suspect you don't, realize that there are many issues. We're not just a one-issue country, as the anarchists would like us to believe.

Quote:
Obama won 2012, IN SPITE of the majority of Americans opposing Obamacare.
I suspect you're making-up facts. If Americans felt so strongly, were so upset about the ACA ... they wouldn't have voted for the guy who was promoting it. Of course, it's a Republican, Conservative Republican program the President adopted - the ACA.

Quote:
To state that Obama won 2012 DUE TO OBAMACARE is statitically incorrect and fallacious.
Quote me correctly, or stop saying I said things I didn't say.

Quote:
So why then do 59% of Americans OPPOSE OBAMACARE?
Let's not engage in fabricating "facts."

Quote:
PS- There are state referendums and the process is intact. Each state is able, and can have a referendum, which would in effect, be a "national" referendum.
Many people are unfamiliar with our form of government in the USA. The U.S. Congress, the representative of the people, approved ACA and the President, selected by the people to lead the country ... signed it into law. That's how it works.

Old 10-03-2013, 07:32 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,119,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I appreciate the suggestion, but I'd just as soon stick with the system of legislation that our Founders established in the Constitution.
Yeah? Interesting. Because the way that the ACA was passed bears very little resemblance to the system that the founders established. Bribes, no negotiating, parlor tricks in the dead of night...

I'm pretty sure that the founders didn't intend for our representatives to pass a bill that none of them had read, the public didn't want, and with only a single party voting for it.

The next time you want to wax poetic about the Constitution and its authors, you might want to consider if your position would have actually been supported by them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies