Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 11:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Not a parent, but I'm still on my mothers plan; why weren't parents allowed to keep their children on longer before? It seems only logical that if a parent is willing to pay, there shouldn't be an age limit to stop it. Maybe I'm not getting something here.
Well, in many cases, employers pay for a portion of the insurance. However, I suppose employers could choose not to extend their payment to adult children and have the parents pay the full premium... That would be ideal, actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 05:04 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
How is one smart enough to sign up for Medicaid? Was she pregnant?

In my state those newly approved for SSDI must wait a minimum of 2 years for consideration for Medicaid.
You didn't read closely....the parent is on SSDI with primary coverage from her previous employer/Medicare secondary.
The daughter was not pregnant and 'smart' in that she did not want to forego important medical services due to having no money.(she was 'on the street')

Old 10-09-2013, 07:20 AM

1,393 posts, read 3,174,164 times
Oddly enough, 140 years ago, a 14 year old could be considered "a man".... times change.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:53 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
How about adults?

Whenever the left wants to push their agenda they use emotion. "Kids" makes people people think differently then saying adult children.

When they want 13, 14, 15 yer old girls to be able to get an abortion WITHOUT they parents knowledge, they say "these young women" are old enough to make these kinds of decisions on their own.

"It is for the children".

18 has been considered the age of reason for a long time, hence they are adults, not kids.

If your son/daughter is still considered a "kid" after the age of 18, I feel very sorry for them.
Well, ok. "Hon, the adults are coming for a visit'.

Happy now?

Ridiculous. You are splitting hairs here. Parents will refer to their adult children as 'kids' until they die. It DOES NOT mean they are actually under the age of 18.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:21 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMORE View Post
Not a parent, but I'm still on my mothers plan; why weren't parents allowed to keep their children on longer before? It seems only logical that if a parent is willing to pay, there shouldn't be an age limit to stop it. Maybe I'm not getting something here.
A 26 year old isn't really still a "child".

Old 10-09-2013, 08:26 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Quick Enough
How about adults?

Whenever the left wants to push their agenda they use emotion. "Kids" makes people people think differently then saying adult children.

When they want 13, 14, 15 yer old girls to be able to get an abortion WITHOUT they parents knowledge, they say "these young women" are old enough to make these kinds of decisions on their own.

"It is for the children".

18 has been considered the age of reason for a long time, hence they are adults, not kids.

If your son/daughter is still considered a "kid" after the age of 18, I feel very sorry for them.
Prior to the ACA, a 19 year old could still stay on a parent's plan. In fact, a 21 year old could stay on a parent's plan if they attended college. Both of those ages are also legal adults.

The issue isn't whether one is a legal adult, the issue is access to health care. These days, so many entry level jobs lack health care coverage that it is practical to extend coverage to those under 26, for the purpose of giving them coverage.

I really don't know what you're objecting to, people having healthcare?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:27 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
This first came to light, oh back in 2008, when the economy went into the crapper and the majority of kids exiting college could not find a job. If they did, it was part-time with little to no health coverage. These "kids" had no jobs or jobs that couldn't even get them out of their parents house.

They could stay at home with their parents, get part-time work, and get on mom's health insurance, or the other alternative would be for them to go "on the dole", get subsized housing, and get on Medicaid.

I think the smart thing was to let them ride it out on their parents health insurance giving them enough time to break into the job market without some health catastrophe hanging over their heads.
Caution - enabling ahead.

Giving them time to break into the job market just prolongs growing up. I'm thinking most of these children are delaying getting a real job because they can. Why not work at Starbucks, with no responsibility or possibility of advancement, while you wait for that "perfect job" that your parents told you you deserved?

Old 10-09-2013, 08:39 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,940,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Caution - enabling ahead.

Giving them time to break into the job market just prolongs growing up. I'm thinking most of these children are delaying getting a real job because they can. Why not work at Starbucks, with no responsibility or possibility of advancement, while you wait for that "perfect job" that your parents told you you deserved?
College students are being taught this kind of job is beneath them. Why work at a temp job like picking fruit when parents are willing to keep them around to fill some desire of not having an empty nest.

I see so many kids at the age of 20-25 still hanging at home like they did at 12-15. This is not helping your child this is destroying your child.

I moved out at before 18 and my parents never once paid for any of my needs, even if I did without. I soon learned I didn't want to be with out........oh what life is like for a spoiled child!

Old 10-09-2013, 09:48 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
College students are being taught this kind of job is beneath them. Why work at a temp job like picking fruit when parents are willing to keep them around to fill some desire of not having an empty nest.

I see so many kids at the age of 20-25 still hanging at home like they did at 12-15. This is not helping your child this is destroying your child.

I moved out at before 18 and my parents never once paid for any of my needs, even if I did without. I soon learned I didn't want to be with out........oh what life is like for a spoiled child!
Oh, baloney! Yesterday I posted a link about the UE rate for under 25. It was 7%. Also, many were working at jobs for which they were technically overqualified. Where are you seeing these kids? My kids and my friend's kids are pretty much all working. Of course, there are a few outliers. There always are. My daughter graduated from college in the depth of the recession in 2009. She took her degree in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and got a job in a day care center. She said there were a lot of teachers working there as well. My friend's daughter, valedictorian of her high school class temped for Vail Resorts (secretarial work). I can give many more real-life examples.

Old 10-09-2013, 10:25 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,924,987 times
You just don't graduate high school and walk into a living wage union job anymore. It may take you're entire 20's or even 30's to get that masters degree, work unpaid internships, and hopefully land that living wage professional career.

Too many boomers here still think you can land a union factory job and have a house and kids by age 21.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies