Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 11:18 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times

Advertisements

She's not "back on" since she was never off. My daughter is 22, graduated from college in May, and is working full-time and supporting herself. My insurance through my employer is a better deal than what she can get through her employer, so it doesn't make any sense to switch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2013, 04:34 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Well, ok. "Hon, the adults are coming for a visit'.

Happy now?

Ridiculous. You are splitting hairs here. Parents will refer to their adult children as 'kids' until they die. It DOES NOT mean they are actually under the age of 18.
Whatever floats your boat!

Old 10-09-2013, 04:36 PM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Prior to the ACA, a 19 year old could still stay on a parent's plan. In fact, a 21 year old could stay on a parent's plan if they attended college. Both of those ages are also legal adults.

The issue isn't whether one is a legal adult, the issue is access to health care. These days, so many entry level jobs lack health care coverage that it is practical to extend coverage to those under 26, for the purpose of giving them coverage.

I really don't know what you're objecting to, people having healthcare?
"I really don't know". Probably one of the few true statements you have ever made on here.

Old 10-09-2013, 08:42 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"I really don't know". Probably one of the few true statements you have ever made on here.

Old 10-10-2013, 07:31 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,937,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Oh, baloney! Yesterday I posted a link about the UE rate for under 25. It was 7%. Also, many were working at jobs for which they were technically overqualified. Where are you seeing these kids? My kids and my friend's kids are pretty much all working. Of course, there are a few outliers. There always are. My daughter graduated from college in the depth of the recession in 2009. She took her degree in Molecular, Cellular and Developmental Biology and got a job in a day care center. She said there were a lot of teachers working there as well. My friend's daughter, valedictorian of her high school class temped for Vail Resorts (secretarial work). I can give many more real-life examples.
Some how that UE report fails to report on those who can't find work or who just don't want to work! I didn't say your child was one of these lazy, stay at home children, now did I?

What you're not seeing is people have degrees and now work as burger flippers and day care providers, why go into debt if you can't get a job in that field? One big problem is all this student debt, some parents demand their kids get a degree so the parents can tell others how many degrees their child has. All the while the child works at a low paying job trying to pay off that piece of paper.

Instead of teaching the child to rely on you to pay the extra coverage government wants, teach them to fight to keep government from intruding into our lives. Some of you have health insurance to put your child on, through your employer. Most of us don't have employer insurance, fight to make insurance affordable, not supplemented by government and paid for by taxpayers.

Even when the Pilgrims landed they knew government was not here to help them we are only to be responsible for our children until 18, not 26. Stop the government from trying to bankrupt us through expensive health coverage.

Degrees That Won't Help You Get A Job - Yahoo! Education

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/bu...rads.html?_r=0
The individual stories are familiar. The chemistry major tending bar. The classics major answering phones. The Italian studies major sweeping aisles at Wal-Mart.

Even these figures understate the damage done to these workers’ careers. Many have taken jobs that do not make use of their skills; about only half of recent college graduates said that their first job required a college degree.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:36 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Some how that UE report fails to report on those who can't find work or who just don't want to work! I didn't say your child was one of these lazy, stay at home children, now did I?

What you're not seeing is people have degrees and now work as burger flippers and day care providers, why go into debt if you can't get a job in that field? One big problem is all this student debt, some parents demand their kids get a degree so the parents can tell others how many degrees their child has. All the while the child works at a low paying job trying to pay off that piece of paper.

Instead of teaching the child to rely on you to pay the extra coverage government wants, teach them to fight to keep government from intruding into our lives. Some of you have health insurance to put your child on, through your employer. Most of us don't have employer insurance, fight to make insurance affordable, not supplemented by government and paid for by taxpayers.

Even when the Pilgrims landed they knew government was not here to help them we are only to be responsible for our children until 18, not 26. Stop the government from trying to bankrupt us through expensive health coverage.

Degrees That Won't Help You Get A Job - Yahoo! Education

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/19/bu...rads.html?_r=0
The individual stories are familiar. The chemistry major tending bar. The classics major answering phones. The Italian studies major sweeping aisles at Wal-Mart.

Even these figures understate the damage done to these workers’ careers. Many have taken jobs that do not make use of their skills; about only half of recent college graduates said that their first job required a college degree.
No, you didn't say anything about my kid. I used her situation as an example. There are many more like her "out there". Many of her biology friends took jobs in labs making $10-15/hr with, according to her, little chance for advancement.

This is not a thread about underemployment. Stories like those in your links are a dime a dozen. They're getting a bit tiresome, IMO. The NYT article was about the effect of the recession on jobs. Here's another quote from that link:

**" This may be a waste of a college degree, but it also displaces the less-educated workers who would normally take these jobs.

“The less schooling you had, the more likely you were to get thrown out of the labor market altogether,” said Mr. Sum, noting that unemployment rates for high school graduates and dropouts are always much higher than those for college graduates. “There is complete displacement all the way down.” "**

These issues are related, but they're not the same. Yes, some of these unskilled labor jobs do not provide insurance. All the more reason for there to be a safety net.

It is a misconception that this is a "government program" involving tax money. The employee pays the addition insurance premium.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:11 AM

89 posts, read 206,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
How many elderly parents are providing health insurance for their 40-something YO offspring? Doesn't matter what parents refer to their children as. Has more to do with how these children are being treated and subsidized.
Give me a break.

There's a difference between criticizing government involvement in family decisions because of a conservative ideology and criticizing family members for making decisions about their own family members that you happen to disagree with. Nobody is forcing anyone to keep their dependents on their health insurance policy until age 26, but some people might appreciate the fact that they at least have the option to do so as they please.

Isn't conservativism about "personal freedom" and "letting individuals decide?" Or is that just the typical "I got mine, now you get yours" rhetoric that belies a lack of understanding of how challenging the job market is for 20-somethings these days?

Old 10-10-2013, 11:18 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^Agreed! I would add, isn't it "personal responsibility" to have health insurance of some kind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies