Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 10:34 AM

11,998 posts, read 12,948,203 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Are they "American enough" today?
Too American maybe haha. In the case of the Irish (who never thought it terms of skin color really as their oppressor and enemy was always The British-fellow white men) they largely became racist toward blacks in the new country in order to elevate themselves into the dominate American-wasp white culture. The book "How The Irish Became White" is very interesting and mostly takes place in Philadelphia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 10:42 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
So do the Irish still possess an inferior social status today?

Old 10-07-2013, 10:46 AM

Quote:
So do the Irish still possess an inferior social status today?
Not in America. They, along with Jews and Italians, are the most well known success stories but it's possible they may have had to step over and distance themselves from people (namely American blacks) in order to achieve that and join the dominate anglo culture. That is what that book deals with in explaining essentially "How the Irish Became White".

Old 10-07-2013, 11:00 AM

32,119 posts, read 34,767,213 times
I've heard the Irish say some pretty negative things about WASPs. I think there's a tension there brewing underneath the surface.

Perhaps a sociologist should go to some of these neighborhoods to get a better understanding of this.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
I've heard the Irish say some pretty negative things about WASPs. I think there's a tension there brewing underneath the surface.
Yes of course, there is definitely still tension but moreso in Ireland and England. I am 100% Irish-American but don't have any Protestant relatives (even the ones that moved to England from Ireland) if that gives you an idea.

But in America the power structure has been largely WASP and the Irish immigrants have historically had to join it in order to succeed.

"One might say that it is a story of how the Irish exchanged their greenness for whiteness, and collaborated with the dominant white culture to continue the oppression of African Americans.
Ironically, Irish Catholics came to this country as an oppressed race yet quickly learned that to succeed they had to in turn oppress their closest social class competitors, free Northern blacks. Back home these "native Irish or papists" suffered something very similar to American slavery under English Penal Laws. Yet, despite their revolutionary roots as an oppressed group fighting for freedom and rights, and despite consistent pleas from the great Catholic emancipator, Daniel O'Connell, to support the abolitionists, the newly arrived Irish-Americans judged that the best way of gaining acceptance as good citizens and to counter the Nativist movement was to cooperate in the continued oppression of African Americans."

How the Irish Became White

The hatred is still there but more maybe concealed in America for political reasons.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:08 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:
Are they "American enough" today?
I find immigrants to be more American than most native born Americans.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:14 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,263,923 times
It is a built-in human trait to dislike the "other." It is tribal at its base, and it takes strength and courage to overcome it. But overcome it we must, if we are to survive.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:16 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,012,310 times
Quote:
I was watching this movie the other day. What gives?

School Ties (4/8) Movie CLIP - The Joke is on Us (1992) HD - YouTube

Whites need each other too much nowadays. That movie was set in the 1950s. Pretty erotic if you ask me.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,237,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2e1m5a View Post
Too American maybe haha. In the case of the Irish (who never thought it terms of skin color really as their oppressor and enemy was always The British-fellow white men) they largely became racist toward blacks in the new country in order to elevate themselves into the dominate American-wasp white culture. The book "How The Irish Became White" is very interesting and mostly takes place in Philadelphia.
I gotta see if i can find that on Audiobooks. Sounds very interesting.

I read All Saints, which is a book about the Irish in South Boston...one of the most harrowing books i've ever read. I never knew that they lived in such tough conditions in Southie...even as late as a decade ago.

Old 10-07-2013, 11:25 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,621,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post
Whites need each other too much nowadays. That movie was set in the 1950s. Pretty erotic if you ask me.
Tension still exists, even if it can't be seen much on these boards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies