Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 09:19 PM

3,202 posts, read 4,435,109 times

Advertisements

This was a lot of hype which amounted to nothing.I commute from the eastern panhandle of West Virginia to Silver Spring,Maryland everyday and traffic was actually less congested today then it was on Thursday.Traffic is always horrible and the heavy rain didn't help but my drive in and home was no different than most fridays.

Whoever thought they were going to 'circle' the beltway at 55 has obviously never spent much time on 495.It is impossible most of the day on weekdays to maintain 35 mph for any great distance.During the morning and evening rush hours 15-20 mph is often top speed,with frequent stretches of stop and go mixed in.

I used to drive a truck,and consider the Md State Police to be about the biggest 'pita'to truck drivers in the country when you're not going out of your way to annoy them......much less 'baiting them' in some pointless exercise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 09:03 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,944,791 times
Quote:
About 30 commercial vehicles and 15 pickup trucks, many sporting U.S. flags and "#T2SDA" placards, crossed over into Maryland on I-495 northbound at around 8 a.m., Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corrine Geller said.
The actual protest was a complete failure, the "movement" recieved tons more PR via social media...than actually blocking any roads.

Truckers learned the threat of action, needs no real action, to drum up buzz.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:23 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Truck drivers aren't political junkies, for the most part. I think those of us interested in politics and who post on forums like this tend to see everyone else as being into it like we are. That just isn't reality. These guys have jobs to do and families depending on their income. That's where their focus probably is and where it should be.

Old 10-12-2013, 10:21 AM

26,586 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Truckers learned the threat of action, needs no real action, to drum up buzz.
that buzz seems pretty counter-productive to actually making progress towards any of their goals ( as unclear as they were ).

Old 10-12-2013, 10:24 AM

26,586 posts, read 14,449,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Sorry but from the articles and reports I've seen - there will be quite a few trucks there, followed by the motorcycles that are coming back and the vets - gonna be a great weekend!
so, are you still expecting large numbers of motorcycles and veterans this weekend?

Old 10-12-2013, 01:55 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,874,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
so, are you still expecting large numbers of motorcycles and veterans this weekend?
Anyone have any information on the turnout at the Million Vet March? It was organized in tandem with the truck rally, but I can't find anything current on it. It's supposed to be happening right now.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:39 PM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
How is it hypocritical?
Because hogging up the freeways would have a bigger impact on other individuals like themselves then making a point to the government.

Old 10-12-2013, 03:46 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
I think all our congressmen and our president should be put on trial for treason.. Democrats and Republicans alike..

Old 10-12-2013, 05:53 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Default OMG. The lib media is covering the trucker protest in Washington.

About 30 commercial vehicles and 15 pickup trucks, many sporting U.S. flags and "#T2SDA" placards, crossed over into Maryland on I-495 northbound at around 8 a.m., Virginia State Police spokeswoman Corrine Geller said.

Nearly an hour later, four tractor-trailers began driving side-by-side and slowed traffic to 15 mph. State troopers stopped the trucks at mile marker 53 and warned them not to impede traffic, Geller says. They were not given tickets and were allowed to continue.

Around 10:15 a.m., about a dozen truckers returned to Virginia via the westbound lanes of the inner loop, but they were met with already congested traffic caused by heavy volume and weather conditions.

Lib media: "Constitution" Rally Truckers Stopped After Slowing Capital Beltway Traffic | NBC4 Washington

Dozens, not thousands, show up for DC trucker protest (even Fox can't spin this)
Fox: Dozens, not thousands, show up for DC trucker protest | Fox News

Old 10-12-2013, 05:55 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
I would expect local news to cover a local news story. Though unless these truckers plan to throw it in park on the highways, I am not sure anyone is gonna notice the difference in the beltway, traffic there sucks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies