Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 06:37 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
If you live outside the USA what are your thoughts on The Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare if you wish?
Please include where you are from and I'm looking for those on both sides of the conversation.
Heh .. I've got a couple of Australian friends that think we're a bunch of retards ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 07:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,500,035 times
Quote:
If you live outside the USA what are your thoughts on The Affordable Care Act, or Obamacare if you wish?
Please include where you are from and I'm looking for those on both sides of the conversation.

As a Canadian I have no dog in the hunt, and no desire to study the in's and outs of a system that your politicans said needed to be approved to find out what was in it and then promptly voted to exempt themselves from it's requirements.

My OPINION would be to study the thing carefully.
Identify the parts that are there to serve and benefit the people.
Isolate those parts that are there to appease corporate interests and determine how to deal with those, vis-a-vis, a lobbyist bought and paid for congress.
Compare costs with a view to enacting controls of a limited scope to level the playing field between providers offering the SAME services.
REMOVE the stupid and inane two party bickering that serves no useful purpose when something as important as the welfare of the population as a whole is concerned and start the fine tuning process to get rid of the warts and keep or even improve the benefits.

You've taken a step forward would be my opinion, now improve on it by removing the political crap that keeps getting in the way of any meaningful changes.

You wanted an OPINION and that's my .02 cents worth.

Now I'll ask you a question: does my opinion as an unprejudicial neighbour carry any value as compared to the two parties currently arguing over the thing ("we're going to win this one")as a political football only, while not being forced to be part of it or even affected by it themselves and who have demonstrated time and time again they don't give a rat's azz about the people they represent?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:23 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Heh .. I've got a couple of Australian friends that think we're a bunch of retards ..
And I think they're right....

Old 10-07-2013, 07:25 PM

9,982 posts, read 13,766,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
As a Canadian I have no dog in the hunt, and no desire to study the in's and outs of a system that your politicans said needed to be approved to find out what was in it and then promptly voted to exempt themselves from it's requirements.

My OPINION would be to study the thing carefully.
Identify the parts that are there to serve and benefit the people.
Isolate those parts that are there to appease corporate interests and determine how to deal with those, vis-a-vis, a lobbyist bought and paid for congress.
Compare costs with a view to enacting controls of a limited scope to level the playing field between providers offering the SAME services.
REMOVE the stupid and inane two party bickering that serves no useful purpose when something as important as the welfare of the population as a whole is concerned and start the fine tuning process to get rid of the warts and keep or even improve the benefits.

You've taken a step forward would be my opinion, now improve on it by removing the political crap that keeps getting in the way of any meaningful changes.

You wanted an OPINION and that's my .02 cents worth.

Now I'll ask you a question: does my opinion as an unprejudicial neighbour carry any value as compared to the two parties currently arguing over the thing ("we're going to win this one")as a political football only, while not being forced to be part of it or even affected by it themselves and who have demonstrated time and time again they don't give a rat's azz about the people they represent?
I would take your opinion over any asshat in the Tea Party caucus. Come to think of it, Ted Cruz is one of yours. You were smart enough to get rid of him, more points for you.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:09 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,286,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Who gives one sheet what the "world" thinks??
cecilsav, apparently.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:13 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
I am certain that none of the developed countries in the world and few of the third world countries would opt for a system as dumb as ours where healthcare is tied to your employment and the government brokers for private firms that skim obscene profits from the system at the expense of rate payers. Only in America!

Old 10-07-2013, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I've always been shocked at what Americans pay for their healthcare insurance, and the hoops they had to jump through. I hope this improves matters for you, but I'm sorry Obama couldn't go all the way and eliminate the hold private insurers have on Americans altogether.

Where I'm from is up there in the top right corner of this post.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:18 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,906,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddlehead View Post
And I think they're right....
I just roll my eyes and smile .. What can I say? .. You can't really argue the point when you know they're right

Old 10-07-2013, 08:23 PM

577 posts, read 512,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I've always been shocked at what Americans pay for their healthcare insurance, and the hoops they had to jump through. I hope this improves matters for you, but I'm sorry Obama couldn't go all the way and eliminate the hold private insurers have on Americans altogether.

Where I'm from is up there in the top right corner of this post.
Well, many have been told and believe that the "socialized" system like in Canada is just terrible. People are waiting in lines for healthcare, dying because they couldn't get services....blah blah blah.

Old 10-07-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctk0p7 View Post
Well, many have been told and believe that the "socialized" system like in Canada is just terrible. People are waiting in lines for healthcare, dying because they couldn't get services....blah blah blah.
And all the statistics in the world showing we get comparable or superior results don't matter. The opposition is ideological, not practical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies