Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2013, 08:23 AM

5,999 posts, read 3,749,377 times

Advertisements

They haven't stopped "Obamacare" so I believe that qualifies your post as an epic FAIL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2013, 08:36 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,965,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
You are missing the forest for the trees. While the Republicans continue in-fight, Democrats make gains.

Per your statement, Republicans kept control of the House only through gerrymandering. The majority of Americans voted for Democrats in their House elections, Republicans only kept control through manipulating districts. This strategy will only go so far. We will see how the Republicans do in 2014; given their history after government shutdowns, it won't be good for them. If Democrats have a wave election in 2016, they will be in control for the 2020 redistricting. Ponder that for a second.
If I could add to your correct assessment to Bentbow, I would add...

What of those center right Republicans that so many claim are RINOs? Do they not get to represent their constiuents that sent them to Congress?

If the 17 Republicans in the House would vote yes on a clean bill funding the government, shouldn't Boehner consider those constituents as worthy of representation?

I find it tiresome that some republicans believe they and only they can determin whom is Republican. Let the people of the district determin that.

Thanks SJ for letting me piggyback.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:45 AM

89,513 posts, read 45,185,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneTraveler View Post
This government shutdown mess that Republicans caused (along with all of their other attempts to sabotage our economy) will probably cost them the house next year.
Nope. Things like this are playing out all over the country and people are watching...
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Democrats:

1) Shut out fishermen earning a living because privately leased and managed federal lands are closed for the shutdown.
The Outer Banks Voice - Shutdown leaves Cape Hatteras fishermen high and dry

2) Pander to Hispanics by allowing/attending an immigration rally on supposedly CLOSED federal land.

Democrats support working Americans? Not a chance in hell. All they want is more welfare-dependent voters.

I hope the whole world sees how manipulatively opportunist Dems are.
Combine that with the Dems' Obamacare fiasco in which many more American workers are getting gouged for health insurance, and it's pretty clear for anyone to see that the Dems are the "f*ck you, American worker" party.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:10 AM

11,109 posts, read 9,869,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
You are still thinking in terms of Democrat and Republican.

You need to come out of the box and look real closely at Progressive control and Conservative live & let live values to see through the fog of confusion, the political scene has become...... for a reason.

The longer they can keep you ignorant, the more freedom they gain control over and then give it back to you as a privilege they allow you to continue doing, for a fee. Remember that thing called the US Constitution, that the progressives in both parties scream because it chains them, so they go around it, under it and over it.
Actually, what I did is look at actual numbers.

You just string together a lot of words that don't mean much of anything.

Politics is the art of the possible. Numbers matter. Sure, you replaced Hutchison with Cruz. And the Democrats replaced Lieberman with Murphy, Kohl with Baldwin, and Webb with Kaine. More importantly, the Democratic caucus got two more votes, so the person Ted Cruz votes to be Majority Leader got two fewer votes than he would have before the election. So as a whole, the Senate shifted to the left. How you think that 'reinforces' anything but the dead-end that is the Tea Party is beyond me.

And the House got less conservative as well. Sorry, a vote is a vote, and the fact that you replaced some Congressman with some Tea Partiers doesn't change the fact that Americans, by a 1.7 million vote margin, announced at the ballot box that they would prefer a House led by Nancy Pelosi than one led by John Boehner, nor that the Republicans won 8 fewer House seats than they did in 2010.

I noticed you ignored the reelection of Mr. ObamaCare himself. Hey, I understand - kinda guts your whole point, after all. But let's talk about that. And let's talk about the GOP primary leading up to the Presidential election. The Republican base decided to go with that guy responsible for RomneyCare. Yeah, that sure tells me something. And who was the runner-up? The bedroom cop from Pennsylvania - advocating the sort of government intrusion that the Tea Party pretends to oppose. And you think that 'reinforces' how Tea Party the nation and the Congressis?

Which brings us to October of 2013. You're talking about 'consequences'. Well, let me lay out those consequences for you.

First, the Affordable Care Act is going to be implemented. So all the windmill-tilting that thrills you to no end will be for naught.

Second, the GOP and the Tea Partiers are already paying a substantial price for what they're doing.
Poll: Don't Tie Shutdown to Obamacare Funding - NationalJournal.com
Some tea party congressmen find signs of political backlash at home - The Washington Post
National (US) Poll - October 1, 2013 - American Voters Reject GOP Shu | Quinnipiac University Connecticut
Republicans Lose Ground vs. Obama in the Shutdown Blame Game - ABC News
Tea Party support falls to near-record low - The Hill's Blog Briefing Room
[maybe that poll-unskewer guy can help you convince yourself that these polls are as wrong as the polls showing Romney losing last fall supposedly were]

Levels of political support directly correlates with the ability of politicians to accomplish their ends. This shutdown is handing power to Democrats. And for what? Posturing to a base for a diminishing number of Republicans (and, yes, all the Tea Party heroes are Republicans) that meet your purity test.

Did you happen to notice the first post-shutdown poll out of Virginia? Cuccinelli is finished.
http://cnu.edu/cpp/pdf/oct%208%20201...02013%20Report

Frankly, you don't seem to have any idea how politics actually works.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:11 AM

41,109 posts, read 25,826,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Reinforcements in 2012?

Obama was reelected
Democrats gained two seats in the Senate
Democrats gained eight seats in the House

Where exactly are the reinforcements?
IRS, IRS, IRS, IRS and a whole lot of name calling.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:32 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,185,704 times
I have maintained for the past 3 years that Barack Obama and Democrats will (and do) regret the manner for which they passed Obamacare (bribery, backroom deals, reconciliation, no Republican votes,etc.). Barack Obama was poised to be one of the great Presidents.....unfortunately he allowed all of that to unravel with the shenanigans that preceded passage of the law, and have since dogged his Presidency.

He, and Democrats, have no one to blame but themselves.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:37 AM

89,513 posts, read 45,185,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Did you happen to notice the first post-shutdown poll out of Virginia? Cuccinelli is finished.
That'll change after facts on the difference between supposed "government shutdowns" and Democrats' pandering to illegal aliens and circumventing "supposed" shutdowns spreads:
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Democrats:

1) Shut out fishermen earning a living because privately leased and managed federal lands are closed for the shutdown.
The Outer Banks Voice - Shutdown leaves Cape Hatteras fishermen high and dry

2) Pander to Hispanics by allowing/attending an immigration rally on supposedly CLOSED federal land.

Democrats support working Americans? Not a chance in hell. All they want is more welfare-dependent voters.

I hope the whole world sees how manipulatively opportunist Dems are.
The whole country will know Democrats are manipulative liars.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:40 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,291,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I have maintained for the past 3 years that Barack Obama and Democrats will (and do) regret the manner for which they passed Obamacare (bribery, backroom deals, reconciliation, no Republican votes,etc.). Barack Obama was poised to be one of the great Presidents.....unfortunately he allowed all of that to unravel with the shenanigans that preceded passage of the law, and have since dogged his Presidency.

Sounds good to me, we will remember that when the Democrats gain seats in 2014 and 2016 and elect another Democrat president. I wonder what your excuse for Republican failure be then.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:42 AM

78,862 posts, read 46,792,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So now you hate the progressive Republicans too? You won't be happy until the Republicans are nothing but a bunch of Conservatives

Pretty much sums it up.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:44 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,965,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

I doubt if most left of center wanted Obama to be the best, just do what he was elected to do. He has not done everything or even everthing correctly, but he's far from the failure or horror assessed to him.

I dont need him to be a super hero, just keep us from back sliding. so far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies