Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 06:39 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Don't know how accurate this is, but for the sake of discussion:

If your mom goes into a nursing home, it can’t require you to pay out of your pocket for her.

"Still, nursing homes will send relatives a bill and say, ‘You have to pay us,’ and families don’t know—so all too often, they pay.”—Robyn Grant

50 Secrets a Nursing Home Won't Tell You | Reader's Digest
Some states (more than a small handful if I recall correctly) have laws on the books making adult children financially responsible for their destitute aging parents. I have no idea about the details of how that works - presumably it could not be enforced against adult children who live in a different state. I also have no idea how those laws have managed to pass constitutional muster; imagine being required to cough up substantial sums for a parent over whom you have no control, and may have been an abusive parent to you during your own childhood. That would be more than mildly irritating!

Of course I am aware that some greedy children may just want the govt. to assume all costs even though they can afford to pay; that is sort of the other side of the coin and it is certainly not a pretty picture either.

I am reminded once again of the tragi-comic bumper sticker: "Get revenge - Live long enough to be a burden to your children".

Old 10-12-2013, 06:45 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,410,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Can old people get Welfare?
They all get Medicare and not a one pays more than a third of the cost. So yeah, they can get welfare and they all do.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,974,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seeker5in1 View Post
There's the answer then. Commit three felonies and get free room and board, medical, gym membership, cable, etc., for the rest of your life on the taxpayer's nickel. You don't have to wait until old age to retire on this plan.
Not a bad retirement plan. Many prisoners live much higher off the hog than many seniors.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:48 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
Can old people get Welfare?
It's called SSI, Supplemental Social Income - Supplemental Security Income (SSI) Benefits

Some low-income elders get both SS and SSI up to a certain level.

There are many hard working people who end up in this position. Homemakers married to men who were not high earners come to mind.

As in_newengland pointed out, having a spouse who needs long-term care can eat away your financial security. Medicaid does not kick in until your assets are nearly depleted. I believe a spouse can keep a house, a car, and a certain amount in the bank, but not a lot. Also, a certain amount of monthly income is protected. Elder attorneys can give a more accurate picture.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:50 PM

51,654 posts, read 25,828,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
They all get Medicare and not a one pays more than a third of the cost. So yeah, they can get welfare and they all do.
Medicare is welfare? I thought people paid into this through payroll deductions and deductions from the Social Security benefits.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:54 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,910,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Medicare is welfare? I thought people paid into this through payroll deductions and deductions from the Social Security benefits.
You are both right, as the payroll taxes fund Part A only, and the premiums charged for Part B are not designed to cover the entire cost of it. So in my view calling Medicare "welfare" is a misleading exaggeration but contains a small grain of truth.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I believe the mark of a great society is how it helps its less fortunate.
If I could I'd tithe 10% of my income to the less fortunate, no questions asked. I believe a person in need has his or her own conscience to answer to. In the meantime food, clothing and shelter is something we should readily help with. I highly doubt that many people in dire straits are proud of it, they'remore likely mortified to be in that position. Again, for those who go to church or other faith services, what do your teachings say?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:59 PM

1,228 posts, read 1,369,815 times
Quote:
You're quite correct. But there are those who think seniors live only to rip off the taxpayers. In truth, many never live long enough to draw their Social Security or much of it or to use much, if any, of their Medicare benefits. But those of us who do, especially if we're Boomers, are often seen by later generations as greedy geezers assuring that nothing will be left for them so they take cheap shots when able.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Medicare is not welfare. There is no such thing as "welfare" that so many people could get so easily years ago. There is now Aid to Dependent Children, and SSI (supplements to Social Security for the elderly). Many low income people have many kids in order to get the ADC for each one.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:17 PM

5,329 posts, read 6,021,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
<snip> Many low income people have many kids in order to get the ADC for each one.
Really? I spent a lot of time conducting outreach at DSS centers and I never met one parent who added children to get additional income. (Indeed, TANF used to be time restricted. Has this changed in the past 10 years?) I'll admit a lot of the recipients weren't especially bright, but having additional kids to get a little more income? Nope.

So, do you have any legitimate links to support your assertion?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies