Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2013, 05:55 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,863,405 times

Advertisements

Perhaps we might ask --- why?

Christopher Columbus was awful (but this other guy was not) - The Oatmeal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2013, 06:01 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Oh is it already time for the yearly white guilt whine fest?

Old 10-12-2013, 06:03 PM

9,127 posts, read 7,947,399 times
Who honors columbus but IA societies with spaghetti dinners. Noodles from Asia and tomatos from the new world.

Let them have thier party.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:10 PM

2,966 posts, read 5,220,188 times
That was great. Thanks for posting.

Old 10-12-2013, 06:16 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,950,377 times
Good post. Thank you.

I always new that Columbus was an opportunist and a slave trader who did not deserve hero worship.

In the US, it was a lot of Italian-American organizations and fraternal societies that are responsible for the monuments you see celebrating Columbus. Personally I wish they would celebrate someone else like Leonardo da Vinci (oh ... wait ... he was gay!) or Michelangelo (uh oh ... he was also gay!) ... okay why don't we celebrate Giuseppe Garibaldi (who actually lived in the US for a brief period!) or Enrico Ferme - true Italian heroes.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:02 PM

215 posts, read 297,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Good post. Thank you.

I always new that Columbus was an opportunist and a slave trader who did not deserve hero worship.

In the US, it was a lot of Italian-American organizations and fraternal societies that are responsible for the monuments you see celebrating Columbus. Personally I wish they would celebrate someone else like Leonardo da Vinci (oh ... wait ... he was gay!) or Michelangelo (uh oh ... he was also gay!) ... okay why don't we celebrate Giuseppe Garibaldi (who actually lived in the US for a brief period!) or Enrico Ferme - true Italian heroes.
Or we could celebrate Amerigo Vespucci? Get it? Amerigo/America?

We should NOT celebrate Columbus Day nor should we continue to celebrate ANY person in our nation's past based on the moral relativism of today, like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Really, other than Obama, none of our white male Christian mostly all Protestant presidents were diverse enough to represent the "real" America. Only Obama represents the real America.

Columbus Day should forever be called and celebrated as "Diversity and Inclusion Day." All statues of Columbus should be demolished and in their place build multicultural salad bowls.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:20 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,821,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
To me, the issue isn't wether Columbus had faults or not.

For example, I deeply admire many things about George Washington and Martin Luther King, Jr., despite knowing that both men (like everybody) was deeply flawed in some ways. But we celebrate them for what they intentionally did for us. In the case of Washington, he committed himself to independence and then to forging a lasting system of governing the young United States. In the case of King, he committed himself to racial justice in such a way that not only advanced that cause but advanced it in as peaceful a way as possible, avoiding what might otherwise have been a much bloodier path to civil rights.

Columbus, on the other hand, didn't attempt anything for us at all. He happened upon the Americas while searching for a route for merchants to more profitably trade with India and China. While not necessarily a bad thing - and indeed, enterprise has all sorts of useful benefits - it simply does not compare to the self-sacrifice of, again for example, Washington and King. That he happened to do something that benefits me (finding the Americas, which lead to Spanish and then eventually British colonialism, which led to independence and the nation in which I now live) is pleasing to me, but no reason to praise a man who never intended such a thing to happen. Columbus was trying to advance his own career and profit. Again, I have no issue with that. So was Andrew Carnegie and Henry Ford and Bill Gates. But you don't see me demanding holidays to celebrate them.

So my issue with Columbus Day isn't that Columbus was not a good man, it is that Columbus simply never intended that which we are glad resulted from what he did. Why celebrate a man for what he inadvertently did? That makes no sense. Beyond that, by handing out a holiday for such an accidental series of events we diminish the holidays we have for those like Washington, King, and our veterans.

The intense attachment some Americans have for honoring a Genoan in the employ of the Spanish crown in his quest for glory and riches is just odd.

Old 10-12-2013, 08:46 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,789,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post

We should NOT celebrate Columbus Day nor should we continue to celebrate ANY person in our nation's past based on the moral relativism of today, like George Washington and Thomas Jefferson. Really, other than Obama, none of our white male Christian mostly all Protestant presidents were diverse enough to represent the "real" America. Only Obama represents the real America.

Columbus Day should forever be called and celebrated as "Diversity and Inclusion Day." All statues of Columbus should be demolished and in their place build multicultural salad bowls.
Cutting off a person's hands and making him wear them around his neck isn't moral in any historical era.

Last edited by geofra; 10-12-2013 at 09:03 PM.. Reason: mispelling

Old 10-12-2013, 08:54 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,088,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post

So only Obama represents the "real" America...solely because he is half black and none of the other white presidents in history can, because they aren't half black?

You seem racist.

Old 10-12-2013, 09:00 PM

14,416 posts, read 22,496,229 times
I always thought Leif Eriksson was the man to "discover" North America. Viking pride
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies