Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2013, 10:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Good God Almighty. Do you honestly think EBT/SNAP isn't federally subsidized?

Dear God Almighty!!!!!
Never said it was funded at the state level.

The federal government pays for 100% of SNAP benefits.

The fed and state share administrative costs.

SNAP is operated by each state.

Each state outsources EBT/SNAP card processing to the private sector.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2013, 10:25 AM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,778 times
It should just be taken from next months deposit. The people got the products, then they should pay. Even if it is just deducting 25$ per month until it is paid. Sounds fair. Isn't FAIR the new word people use.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:26 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
So what happens to those EBT "debit" cards that went over their balances ?
I guess taxpayers will pick up the tab for that one.
No Walmart is on the hook for that one.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:28 AM

545 posts, read 451,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claudhopper View Post
If it wasn't intentional, why did they abandon their carts when the computer came back up?
If I write a bad check, my bank doesn't care if I intended to write bad check, they punish me for it by getting their money with a fine attached. That is how they discourage this kind of abuse.
Fraud needs to prove individual intent to deceive and its one of the most difficult to show. Its clearly a customer individual trust issue. If the store rejected no one, all that says is that with an opportunity to say no for anything which may be suspect was a mistake, and the stores mistake. Its a third party recovery issue on what is only an alleged receivable, iow its just a claim.

Last edited by macpherson; 10-14-2013 at 10:36 AM..

Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's the monthly equivalent for a family of 6+/-.
Mmm...yea. Goes by number of "dependents". What a mess this is. Just a free fer all. EBT cardz became a license to loot. At least it was confined to food items, I can just imagine the frenzy if booze, cigs and clothing were fair game. Still, the monumental waste of food is beyond comprehension for me.

I grew up in a world where you did NOT waste food. My folks were depression era, and it left ingrained habits. And to think, a whole stores stock of perishables ...gone. Trash. Truly disgusting.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:30 AM

9,127 posts, read 7,943,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Just curious if the apologists on this thread were also making excuses for the poor people in Louisiana after Katrina who desperately needed new Nikes and televisions and helped themselves.

Louisiana does indeed prosecute for food stamp fraud. LA tracks food stamp fraud closely - KSLA News 12 Shreveport, Louisiana News Weather & Sports
Whether this would fall into a prosecutable offense is obviously debatable.
there is no need for prosecution. If amounts above the card holder's monthly amount was used, then that amount will be withheld from future benefits.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:32 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macpherson View Post
Fraud needs to prove individual intent to deceive and its one of the most difficult to show. Its clearly a customer individual trust issue. If the store rejected no one, all that says is that with an opportunity to say no for anything which may be suspect was a mistake, and the stores mistake. Its a third party recovery issue on what is only an alleged receivable.
Intent is easy to prove in this case. I would venture to say whoever was trying to buy $700 in groceries has never had that limit or close to it, has never made those type of purchases before and it is ironic it was caught on the same day as the 'bug'.

Intent is beyond a reasonable doubt

Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM

945 posts, read 968,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
there is no need for prosecution. If amounts above the card holder's monthly amount was used, then that amount will be withheld from future benefits.
I'm sure every credit card thief that has ever been caught would appreciate that same level of limp-wrist punishment. I'm sure Judges and prosecutors really entertained that idea....

Anyone who did that should be banned from further EBT and given the ultimatum everyone else has, go to work and you get nothing.

This is the stuff that propels civil war, people are working and wasting their lives supporting other people while they will instantly exploit any vulnerability that is opened, and with good reason they are never punished and only rewarded for continually defrauding the working class.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:38 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimuelojones View Post
Wanna bet?

I don't know how they'll handle it, and neither do you. I would love for you to be correct, but I doubt that will happen.

I would be willing to bet up to $100 the feds (me) will bail out the lost funds.

Old 10-14-2013, 10:44 AM

545 posts, read 451,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Intent is easy to prove in this case. I would venture to say whoever was trying to buy $700 in groceries has never had that limit or close to it, has never made those type of purchases before and it is ironic it was caught on the same day as the 'bug'.

Intent is beyond a reasonable doubt
Okay well for a hypothetical example:

Fraud, oh no...Im perfectly aware my account isn't normally at that balance but a friend promised me last night she was going to top it up to get some food for everybody. Regrettably we had a falling out and now she doesn't even remember the convo. And also I have never defrauded anyone in my entire life. If someone went in and out 3 or 4 times or more that would be alittle different. Plus the tax payers shouldn't have to pay for the delinquency which is what it amounts to and all the stores fault. They individually rang in all of it and had a choice, but they trusted their customer each one of them individually. Plus how does anyone know that all customers at W come back and pay up for any problems. The whole thing is an alleged receivable, they are just claims and part of business. Walmart prob pays 30-60-90 for their things to begin with so trust is part of their understandings and operation.

Last edited by macpherson; 10-14-2013 at 11:44 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies