Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 05:18 PM

499 posts, read 1,528,630 times

Advertisements

Kudos to "The News Hour" on PBS! They went straight to the important world news tonight. Started with Obama's trip to Russia, broke down the meetings with Medvedev and Putin, then ethnic strife in western China, then the Dow being way down, etc, etc...All this before we had to hear about the overblown, pretentious, and tacky "memorial service" for a drug addicted, mentally ill, once-upon-a-time has-been pop star who hasn't been a musical force for about 15 years!

CBS , ABC, and NBC news, of course, devoted essentially their entire half hour to MJ. They really understand what's important in the world I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 05:21 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,329,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roncorey1 View Post
Kudos to "The News Hour" on PBS! They went straight to the important world news tonight. Started with Obama's trip to Russia, broke down the meetings with Medvedev and Putin, then ethnic strife in western China, then the Dow being way down, etc, etc...All this before we had to hear about the overblown, pretentious, and tacky "memorial service" for a drug addicted, mentally ill, once-upon-a-time has-been pop star who hasn't been a musical force for about 15 years!

CBS , ABC, and NBC news, of course, devoted essentially their entire half hour to MJ. They really understand what's important in the world I guess.
Don't forget Fox News. They carried the Jackson story all day long and never once got into the details of Obama's trip to Russia or the fighting in China.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:22 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,514,296 times
I don't know why California has to pay for the memorial when the state is broke. I guess CA will pass the bill onto all of us eventually. Why doesn't the Jackson family pay for it?

Old 07-07-2009, 05:25 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
I don't know why California has to pay for the memorial when the state is broke. I guess CA will pass the bill onto all of us eventually. Why doesn't the Jackson family pay for it?
Money... everybody is fine when its "other" people's money... the government likes it so much they are borrowing your "future" money to pay for everything... and you pay them back with interest...

Old 07-07-2009, 05:26 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
They don't have $4 million sitting around. What L.A. should do is set up a web page and ask every Jackson fan to kick in a dollar or two.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:27 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
They don't have $4 million sitting around. What L.A. should do is set up a web page and ask every Jackson fan to kick in a dollar or two.
Great.. they'll get about $2...

Old 07-07-2009, 05:28 PM

1,364 posts, read 1,929,238 times
...because they're mourning....how can you be so insensitive....boohooo.....who will get MJs' money.....boohooo....
what? you want MJs' family to pay? why? It's the doctors fault he's dead. It's the LA police who harrassed him and caused his drug-using stress? It's sombody elses fault and therfore somebody else should pay!!!

Old 07-07-2009, 05:31 PM

1,117 posts, read 1,994,945 times
Quote:
It's absolutely insane. Why should the city of Los Angeles foot the bill for Jackson's funeral? His family should pay for it.

If Jackson had been White, none of this would be happening, believe me. This is all about political correctness.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:32 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,708,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Money... everybody is fine when its "other" people's money... the government likes it so much they are borrowing your "future" money to pay for everything... and you pay them back with interest...
I love people like this. Not only is his status this basic rant, but he twists any topic he can to this pet issue.

Old 07-07-2009, 05:40 PM

507 posts, read 678,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
It's absolutely insane. Why should the city of Los Angeles foot the bill for Jackson's funeral? His family should pay for it.

If Jackson had been White, none of this would be happening, believe me. This is all about political correctness.
Whoa. Can you please elaborate? What does this have to do with race? Why does that always have to be brought into every discussion?

Michael Jackson had just as many white fans (if not more) as he had black.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies