Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 08:19 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,009,955 times

Advertisements

As I have told you multiple times I answered the question a wayyyyyyys back and I was of course correct. As for your PM I told you to not send me anymore. I have nothing to say to you in PM other than what I said. Grow up or go away.

You can make up all the names you want for what causes it............I call it what I did and that is how it happens. Go play Mr. Science all you want but I am right. I know that irks you but too bad. Now go cry to your global warming cult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The science folk lie?....Prove it......It is obvious that Heartland lies all the time, but of course people like you believe them because it fits your parties agenda.

How could anyone take seriously a group that took money from tobacco companies and downplayed the harmful effects of tobacco and then moved on to take money from oil companies and said global warming is all a big hoax? A three year old could figure this one out. The Heartland Institute and the Academy of Tobacco Studies | DeSmogBlog

Just the fact that they lie about the cause of climate change is enough for me.

Several climate scientists who “had their emails stolen [in 2009], posted online and grossly misrepresented,” slammed Heartland for “spreading misinformation” and “personally attacking climate scientists to further its goals.” The scientists specifically noted:

In 2009, the Heartland Institute was among the groups that spread false allegations about what these stolen emails said. Despite multiple independent investigations, which demonstrated that allegations against scientists were false, the Heartland Institute continued to attack scientists based on the stolen emails. When more stolen emails were posted online in 2011, the Heartland Institute again pointed to their release and spread false claims about scientists. Crossing the Line as Civilization Implodes: Heartland Institute, Peter Gleick and Andrew Revkin | ThinkProgress

http://matt.baya.net/lies-damn-lies-...and-institute/

Revealing leaked documents from the Heartland Institute

GREEDY LYING BASTARDS - Official Film Trailer 2012 - YouTube
So you are going to deny the lies by using folks like the think proggers and what is this the desmog.blog? You gotta be kidding me. If your going to deny it then just go away. They lied and you know it. It has beem proven. Nasa had to redo their data too. The whole game crashed and burned. You folks are now going to pretend it never happened......................oh what a shocker? LOL

Old 10-15-2013, 08:27 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
So you are going to deny the lies by using folks like the think proggers and what is this the desmog.blog? You gotta be kidding me. If your going to deny it then just go away. They lied and you know it. It has beem proven. Nasa had to redo their data too. The whole game crashed and burned. You folks are now going to pretend it never happened......................oh what a shocker? LOL
So you prefer to believe the Heartland lies...Go for it.

Old 10-15-2013, 08:32 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,785,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Oh, sorry about that.

But here is another question:

Why is it cooler at night than during the day?
This is more appropriate for the weather forum...

Warming at the earth is due to the sun's heat.
And even more appropriate for Romper Room.

I haven't taken much part in this thread, because Hurricane "Kid" is obviously trolling, asking silly baby questions that anyone knows the answers to.

He doesn't seem inclined to stop, so I'll say adieu, and leave you all to play your little games.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
So you prefer to believe the Heartland lies...Go for it.
Thank you for showing how you will ignore all the lies by the global warmers by bringing up ONE link. You know the lies, you ignore the lies, so you become a liar. Good work hero.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:26 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
I just find it hard to imagine thinking a political think tank is the go-to place for the latest scientific updates when it's just as easy to read the latest on any number of science-oriented news sites. And as I've tried to make abundantly clear to our learned colleagues, organizations of interest in these sorts of discussions like the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration and the United States Geological Survey also provide plenty of information.

It wouldn't occur to me to go to the Heartland Institute to learn their take on matters climatological than I would to read about the latest in particle physics.
The Heartland Institute is a climate-change denial echo chamber.

It is an environmentalist's dream come true. The once feared "Heartland Institute," funded by the secretive Koch brothers in their campaign to undermine science and deny the plain evidence for climate change has just committed a very public suicide on the Eisenhower Expressway on the outskirts of Chicago.
That is where the first billboard appeared the other day to launch what has to be one of the kookiest public relations campaigns in history. I could scarcely believe my eyes when I saw the image on the internet -- the disheviled "Unabomber" Ted Kaczynski glowering down at commuters asking: "I still believe in Global Warming. Do you?" The weirdest part of it is that the Heartland folks actually put their name on the bottom of it for all to see. In other words, the notorious group has come out of the shadows (where they have been lurking for the last decade or so funding false front groups and harassing hard-working scientists) and finally fessed up to being the kooks and fanatics that we long suspected they were.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richar...b_1477499.html

Yeah....keep citing the Heartland Institute for "facts".

Old 10-16-2013, 12:33 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Unless you understand the physics and chemistry of climate, you people will never be able to convince politicians and their supporters who push specific agendas using AGW as a crutch.
OK time for me to divulge what I know - based upon research, not ideology.

In answer to the specific question about why it gets cold in the winter, it is all about the tilt of the earth's axis. I'll use the northern hemisphere as my example, but the converse is true of the southern hemisphere as well.

In the northern hemisphere, the axis of the earth tilts away from the sun, at an angle of roughly 23 degrees at this point in time. Ironically, the earth reaches apogee (closest point to the sun) in early January. So despite relative nearness to the sun, because of the tilt away from the sun, less light reaches the northern hemisphere and voila - colder temperatures.

In the norther hemisphere, the axis of the earth tilts towards the sun, again at an angle of roughly 23 degrees at this point in time. So even though the earth is at perigee (furthest from the sun) in early July, more sunlight strikes the earth and voila - warmer temperatures.

Oh, and to the numnut who criticized me for using the term "precession", get some klew. There is a difference between "tilt" and "precession". You could look it up if you wanted. But you wont, because you are an ideologue and an ignoramus.

Needless to say, at least among the educated, we are at that point in the precession cycle such that we are headed into another ice age. All this AGW hue and cry is nothing but nonsense promulgated by the ignorant. Their irresponsibility is leading to some very poor policy that will end up bankrupting this nation and will leave us woefully unprepared for dealing with the coming ice age.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:39 AM

5,177 posts, read 4,792,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
As I have told you multiple times I answered the question a wayyyyyyys back and I was of course correct. As for your PM I told you to not send me anymore. I have nothing to say to you in PM other than what I said. Grow up or go away.

You can make up all the names you want for what causes it............I call it what I did and that is how it happens. Go play Mr. Science all you want but I am right. I know that irks you but too bad. Now go cry to your global warming cult.
Once again, you prove that you dont know jack. You called me a liberal. I am far from that. You call me an AGW'er. I am absolutely far from that and I defy you to find anything I have posted here or anywhere that can be even remotely construed as support of the AGW religion. You cant because I have NOT!

Amazing how the right claims that liberals change the subject or begin to call names when they cannot win an argument based upon reason. You, sir, are proof that it isnt about liberals or conservatives, but rather about ideology and true belief. Now go cry to your ignorant right wing ideologue friends about someone who has the temerity to argue based upon research, rather than parroting the right wing ideologue talking points.

Old 10-16-2013, 12:41 AM

9,659 posts, read 10,228,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
OK time for me to divulge what I know - based upon research, not ideology.

In answer to the specific question about why it gets cold in the winter, it is all about the tilt of the earth's axis. I'll use the northern hemisphere as my example, but the converse is true of the southern hemisphere as well.

In the northern hemisphere, the axis of the earth tilts away from the sun, at an angle of roughly 23 degrees at this point in time. Ironically, the earth reaches apogee (closest point to the sun) in early January. So despite relative nearness to the sun, because of the tilt away from the sun, less light reaches the northern hemisphere and voila - colder temperatures.

In the norther hemisphere, the axis of the earth tilts towards the sun, again at an angle of roughly 23 degrees at this point in time. So even though the earth is at perigee (furthest from the sun) in early July, more sunlight strikes the earth and voila - warmer temperatures.

Oh, and to the numnut who criticized me for using the term "precession", get some klew. There is a difference between "tilt" and "precession". You could look it up if you wanted. But you wont, because you are an ideologue and an ignoramus.

Needless to say, at least among the educated, we are at that point in the precession cycle such that we are headed into another ice age. All this AGW hue and cry is nothing but nonsense promulgated by the ignorant. Their irresponsibility is leading to some very poor policy that will end up bankrupting this nation and will leave us woefully unprepared for dealing with the coming ice age.
Precession alone does not cause an ice age... Plate tectonics are responsible as well.

Old 10-16-2013, 01:22 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Because the Aussies' stole our heat for their down under
Best answer in thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies