Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:10 AM

3,118 posts, read 5,358,359 times

Advertisements

This really makes me mad. Only with a govt job would you get paid for shut down. I thought the govt was shut down and people told to stay home to save money, but you pay them to not work! So why shut down and tell people not to work if you are going to pay them to not work. They should have been required to be at work if they were going to pay them anyways! What sense does that make! I wish I had a cushy govt job where I was punished by being told to sit home and get paid for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 11:13 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Umm...why don't you try to get a cushy gov't. job if it bothers you so much?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:14 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,116,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman07 View Post
This really makes me mad. Only with a govt job would you get paid for shut down. I thought the govt was shut down and people told to stay home to save money, but you pay them to not work! So why shut down and tell people not to work if you are going to pay them to not work. They should have been required to be at work if they were going to pay them anyways! What sense does that make! I wish I had a cushy govt job where I was punished by being told to sit home and get paid for it.

Grow up. These people were furloughed because of Congress' inability to get their collective heads out of their asses. Federal employees are not your freaking enemy.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:15 AM

2,137 posts, read 1,903,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Grow up. These people were furloughed because of Congress' inability to get their collective heads out of their asses. Federal employees are not your freaking enemy.
If they got paid then they were not furloughed.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM

4,837 posts, read 4,169,103 times
Quote:
Cushy job....yes, every conservative believe government jobs are cushy jobs yet I can guarantee 100% that NONE of you have EVER worked a government job. Yeah, they should get their backpay, it was not the fault of the furloughed workers that they were furloughed. Of course, I'm SURE you would have that same attitude of yours if you were one of those furloughed, riiiight? It's so easy to p*ss & moan about those damn government workers from the comfort of your basement.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
OK. SO you didn't answer my question. Why were they paid to not work, but told to not work because we couldn't afford it?

Old 10-18-2013, 11:20 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
hmmm.....only with a gov job??

union leadership agrees workers to be paid during strike

-----------------

new York state workers (not federal) paid during layoff

Number of Central New Yorkers receiving unemployment pay during partial layoffs spikes | syracuse.com

end of thread

Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Cushy job....yes, every conservative believe government jobs are cushy jobs yet I can guarantee 100% that NONE of you have EVER worked a government job. Yeah, they should get their backpay, it was not the fault of the furloughed workers that they were furloughed. Of course, I'm SURE you would have that same attitude of yours if you were one of those furloughed, riiiight? It's so easy to p*ss & moan about those damn government workers from the comfort of your basement.
I DID have a federal govt job once as a contractor. I've NEVER worked in an office with so many people who did nothing and kept their jobs. Some people would literally be on the phone chatting half the day.

You say they should get backpay, but backpay for what? They didn't work! Why weren't they working if they were going to get paid for it? And if I was furloughed, no I wouldn't feel entitled to get paid for not working. I would just use my vacation days. If I worked for the govt, I would like to get paid $500k a year, but that doesn't make it right!

Old 10-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
hmmm.....only with a gov job??

union leadership agrees workers to be paid during strike

-----------------

new York state workers (not federal) paid during layoff

[url=http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2009/10/workers_receiving_unemployment.html]Number of Central New Yorkers receiving unemployment pay during partial layoffs spikes | syracuse.com[/url]

end of thread

They were paid unemployment, not their regular wages. Unemployment is unemployment and different and only a fraction of normal pay.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:23 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
Quote:
OK. SO you didn't answer my question. Why were they paid to not work, but told to not work because we couldn't afford it?

They were not told to stay home because we couldn't afford it. They were told to stay home because their pay was being withheld by Congress, along with funding for everything else in government.

Now that Congress is no longer withholding the money, they're being paid back pay.

I take it you're one of the Tea Party contingent who wanted the government to fall, and also one of the C-D posters who loathes his fellow citizens universally because of where they work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies