Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Access to health care is...
A necessity 143 87.73%
A privilege 20 12.27%
Voters: 163. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:49 PM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times

Advertisements

I could live to be 150 years old and I would still be shocked and dismayed over the lack of compassion and empathy some people exhibit towards others less fortunate than themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2013, 07:52 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik View Post
You pay for your healthcare through taxes. In America we don't call something we have to pay for a right.
Who pays for the legal system in which you have a right to representation? You have the right to go before a judge and argue your case? Who pays the judge?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:02 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pch1013 View Post
Do you also resent your tax dollars being spent on roads you'll never drive on?
But I do have the option of driving on any road. Someone else getting healthcare on my dime doesn't allow me to derive any benefit or use of the procedure.

Quote:
other people's children to be educated?
Actually I do have a big problem with that. I'm sending my child to a private school because the public schools are snakepits run largely by incompetents. Yet my taxes still support them.

Quote:
fire departments even though you've never had a fire? Etc?
And I pay taxes which support those fire departments which will respond in case I do need them.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirdik
You pay for your healthcare through taxes. In America we don't call something we have to pay for a right.
Nothing is free in this world except the air you breath, don't you know that?

Old 10-18-2013, 08:04 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I could live to be 150 years old and I would still be shocked and dismayed over the lack of compassion and empathy some people exhibit towards others less fortunate than themselves.
Meh.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 PM

33,543 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
Meh.
So you are an admitted troll, "just here to stir the pot"...Meh.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:06 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,818,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And I pay taxes which support those fire departments which will respond in case I do need them.
You and everyone else does.

Doesn't it just gall you to no end knowing that you are paying for someone elses possible use of your taxes to put out their fire? By George, if you are an all American patriot, it should.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:07 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,327,358 times
Quote:

Originally Posted by Workin_Hard

So you're cool with paying for others? From
each according to his ability and to each accord to his need? I wonder how that
model will work out in the long term, using OPM and such...
Of course! I'm cool with paying for others' health care. I'm also cool with my taxes subsidizing higher education, even though I no longer go to school. I'm cool with affordable daycare, even though I never had to use it. I'm cool with extended maternity leave, even though I can no longer have kids. These things create a stable, healthy, happy populace, and that leads to a strong, productive society.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:12 PM

1,696 posts, read 1,715,055 times
Drug-resistant tuberculosis is a growing problem in the USA, in part because people can't afford the continued services of doctors to treat their illness. Tuberculosis requires several visits and consistent taking of the proper medications adjusted for the individual. It is not something that can be treated in a visit to an ER. Do you really think those germs aren't going to be passed to other people, including *yourself*?

And that's just one example of why we should have affordable healthcare for everyone. A basic level of service -- if you want more, so for it -- but no one should be left to work sick and infect others because they cannot come up with funds.

Unless you plan to stop breathing 'used' air, you should be in favor of ACA.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Quote:
Do you also resent your tax dollars being spent on roads you'll never drive on? other people's children to be educated? fire departments even though you've never had a fire? Etc?
Yes exactly.... to me it is called being a society. I believe in paying taxes for the good of the overall community or country. I have no problem paying higher taxes if that means better healthcare for those less fortunate....just because I can afford it and they can't doesnt mean they should suffer IMO. I gladly pay for roads, fire, schools, etc as our whole community I live in uses them. I like to look at us as one big society instead of individuals. My family makes enough income to be in that too rich to get much tax breaks but too poor to be considered wealthy, In that 80-120k range. But I have no issues paying taxes if it goes toward the good of society as a whole.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies