Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2013, 12:32 PM

3,417 posts, read 3,075,934 times

Advertisements

I know that nobody on the side of the republicans will be believe this, but obama wants to have a grand bargin to secure his legacy. He wants tax revenue in exchange for entitlement cuts to medicare, medicaid and social security. He campaigned on tax hikes for the top 2% in this country making over 250K. Here is my question, why are so opposed to obama closing loopholes for the top 2%, if you get major reduction in entitlements which are the largest driver of our debt? He made it known that he would lock in the bush tax cuts permanently for everybody else, so why are you trying to protect the rich from the closing of any loopholes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2013, 12:41 PM

45,595 posts, read 27,223,343 times
Please don't talk about the importance of tax revenue while half of working age Americans don't pay taxes, and in fact increase the tax burden.

You instead want to tax 2% of the population.

If tax revenue was important - you would do what you could to increase the pool of people who pay taxes.

At least you admit entitlements are the largest driver of debt - and not the Defense Dept.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:44 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,760,015 times
Obama already got more tax revenue this year but he wants more. That's the problem, Obama will never be satisfied and will always want to take more money from us.

Never be so content to think that in in his constant quest for more money that you will wake up one day to find out Obama considers you rich and want to increase taxes on you.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 PM

8,635 posts, read 9,146,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Please don't talk about the importance of tax revenue while half of working age Americans don't pay taxes, and in fact increase the tax burden.

If tax revenue was important - you would do what you could to increase the pool of people who pay taxes.

At least you admit entitlements are the largest driver of debt - and not the Defense Dept.
And Bingo on the bolded part of your post. Now ask yourself where have all the jobs gone and who sent them away and above all---who profits from shipping jobs out of the US?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Obama already got more tax revenue this year but he wants more. That's the problem, Obama will never be satisfied and will always want to take more money from us.

Never be so content to think that in in his constant quest for more money that you will wake up one day to find out Obama considers you rich and want to increase taxes on you.
Again i ask, he made it know he would lock in tax rates permanently for the 98%, so he is only going after the top 2%, so again I ask, why is it so important to make sure the rich aren't paying higher taxes.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:51 PM

33,563 posts, read 37,165,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post

Yeah, like you are part of the top 2%. I don't feel bad for that 2% many of who because of all the tax dodges and loopholes pay less than middle income earners. I fail to understand why the average earner stands up for these greedy pigs many of who produce nothing and give less to society.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:52 PM

Quote:

I admit that entitlements (medicare really) is the largest driver of our debt. I think democrats should let go of protecting it so much, and worry about discretionary spending, but that us just me. Here is my thing, If obama said he would trade entitlement cuts for closing loopholes on the top 1 or 2 percent, why is that such a bad thing?

Old 10-21-2013, 12:56 PM

78,454 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
Again i ask, he made it know he would lock in tax rates permanently for the 98%, so he is only going after the top 2%, so again I ask, why is it so important to make sure the rich aren't paying higher taxes.
For starters, the rich already pay higher taxes.

You aren't really presenting the issue fairly, but rather of the "have you stopped beating your wife" style.

They want decreased govt. spending and the status quo is that yes, the rich are paying higher taxes as it currentlly stands.

People are trying to dishonestly portray a spending problem by inserting class warfare and a minority group of 2% into the mix.

Tell you what, give me a 5% decrease to govt. spending and I will gladly support a 2% higher tax on "the rich".

Old 10-21-2013, 12:57 PM

78,454 posts, read 60,666,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighttrain55 View Post
I admit that entitlements (medicare really) is the largest driver of our debt. I think democrats should let go of protecting it so much, and worry about discretionary spending, but that us just me. Here is my thing, If obama said he would trade entitlement cuts for closing loopholes on the top 1 or 2 percent, why is that such a bad thing?
It isn't if it's a serious offer.

Old 10-21-2013, 12:59 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,960,872 times
Quote:

Except that the people you want to "increase the pool" have very little income to tax. Most of the people who currently pay no federal income tax nor payroll taxes are low-income people who are elderly, unable to work due to a serious disability, or students, most of whom subsequently become taxpayers.

When all federal, state, and local taxes are taken into account, the bottom fifth of households pays about 16 percent of their incomes in taxes, on average. The second-poorest fifth pays about 21 percent.

Consider also that Bottom Half Of American Households Own Just 1.1% Of Nation's Wealth and the richest 1 percent of American's held 34.5 percent of the nation's wealth in 2010.

If one is interested in raising revenue, you don't tax the poor like the 17th Century French. You tax the top earners who have seen their share of national income skyrocket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies