Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2007, 09:23 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I think you are being too kind, folks really need to understand more about the gold standard and our economic performance when linked to gold.
While I agree that we should all have a better understanding of how our currency functions, but is there or isn't there inherent dangers to fiat currency as well. Especially when the Fed decided to no longer release M3 numbers which are, or at least were an important factor in determining the value of our currency?

Even if we chose an arbitrary thing to base the value of our currency, be it gold, silver, popcorn or sea shells, it has a direct relation to something tangible instead of purely faith in the US.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 09:30 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
We'll see, I think the Fed's and the foreign central bankers handling of this current situation should be a good case study for the inherent flexibility in fiat currency.

Should be an interesting test, with the full impact known within the next few years.

Old 12-14-2007, 08:53 PM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Well, you know the saying,

"Money's only something you need if you don't die tomorrow."

Old 01-27-2008, 02:51 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Wow..just found this thread. So, months later what do YOU think ?

Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,919,758 times
I think that america has come to rely on big businesses and the select few that own everything... they call the shots.. they are the ones making the real money.. by loaning it out to you and me so we can buy our houses and our cars etc.. while getting huge profits by all of us repaying our loans to them over the course of our lives...
its time for someone to stand up and cut them off.. and a depression if it happens is the perfect time to do this... if they want to take all the perks.. and be able to bleed us elsewhere so they can do business or produce overseas as well.. then cut them off and let em go to china or india... its as simple as saying.. WE DON"T NEED YOU... because the beautiful thing about america is... there's always someone ready and able to advance their own NEW business and enterprise... if we are going into a depression.. then cut the strings with some sort of government regulation or penalties... so somebody else can have the opportunity to rise and provide america with their products.. their services.. and their ideas... when too few have too much.. then they call more and more shots... and we essentially are their slaves...economic slaves.. unless you wish to go live in a cabin in the woods...and go back a few centuries in progression... the knowlege and know-how exists... so I say.. let more new people enter the arena.. by telling these select few.. thanks but no thanks...
anyone who says social or government regulation is not needed... I'd tell you... if things remain as they are.. in 10 years.. you'll be whistling to a new tune...
the best analagy I have heard is comparing our system to a sand sifter... in a world of winners and losers.. as the game plays.. the sifter moves back and forth and as it does.. sand falls thru as they lose.. and the winners are still in the sifter staying afloat and protected for the time being.. (however long that may be) social programs are what picks that sand back up and throws it back into the sifter to keep the process going.. because they are all dependant on each other.. even though in their minds the object is to make everyone else a loser... without such social programs... eventually fewer and fewer sand crystals are left.. to where there are none.. because if there isn't anything in the sifter.. the game is over.. and all the money the last few have made.. means nothing because there is no longer a game to play...or economy to spend it in.. or own anything to have value...

Old 01-28-2008, 01:12 AM

1,999 posts, read 1,663,930 times
There is no recession and no economic woes where I live, we are thriving here. Economy is sound and growing.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:29 AM

13,387 posts, read 19,432,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
I think that america has come to rely on big businesses and the select few that own everything... they call the shots.. they are the ones making the real money.. by loaning it out to you and me so we can buy our houses and our cars etc.. while getting huge profits by all of us repaying our loans to them over the course of our lives...
its time for someone to stand up and cut them off.. and a depression if it happens is the perfect time to do this... if they want to take all the perks.. and be able to bleed us elsewhere so they can do business or produce overseas as well.. then cut them off and let em go to china or india... its as simple as saying.. WE DON"T NEED YOU... because the beautiful thing about america is... there's always someone ready and able to advance their own NEW business and enterprise... if we are going into a depression.. then cut the strings with some sort of government regulation or penalties... so somebody else can have the opportunity to rise and provide america with their products.. their services.. and their ideas...
Quote:
when too few have too much.. then they call more and more shots...
and we essentially are their slaves...economic slaves.. unless you wish to go live in a cabin in the woods...and go back a few centuries in progression... the knowlege and know-how exists... so I say.. let more new people enter the arena.. by telling these select few.. thanks but no thanks...
anyone who says social or government regulation is not needed... I'd tell you... if things remain as they are.. in 10 years.. you'll be whistling to a new tune...
the best analagy I have heard is comparing our system to a sand sifter... in a world of winners and losers.. as the game plays.. the sifter moves back and forth and as it does.. sand falls thru as they lose.. and the winners are still in the sifter staying afloat and protected for the time being.. (however long that may be) social programs are what picks that sand back up and throws it back into the sifter to keep the process going.. because they are all dependant on each other.. even though in their minds the object is to make everyone else a loser... without such social programs... eventually fewer and fewer sand crystals are left.. to where there are none.. because if there isn't anything in the sifter.. the game is over.. and all the money the last few have made.. means nothing because there is no longer a game to play...or economy to spend it in.. or own anything to have value...
Quote:
when too few have too much
Isn't that called, Monopolizing? like Bill Gates tried with no success.

Old 01-28-2008, 12:57 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
There is no recession and no economic woes where I live, we are thriving here. Economy is sound and growing.
Aye, same here. Housing didn't change much in prices (though I was hoping it would even through prices are reasonable). Jobs still seem to be abundant, costs aren't terrible. Gas is still under 3 bucks a gallon (though much higher here than it used to be a couple of years ago). Everything seems to be awesome actually. Food is reasonable and even the "frivolous" expense stuff" isn't overboard. Things are good here.

Then again, I am not in any major debt, have excellent credit, own everything I have outright and live within my means. Things seem fine to me.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:09 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,194,634 times
After seeing this thread come to life again, I was prompted to read up a bit on the original Great Depression. Interestingly enough, it didn't take place on the day of the stock market crash. The market rebounded after a year, but with instability in the market combined with severe drought in the midwest, and lack of confidence in the consumers led to a gradual decline over the course of a few years.

Lets just hope the financial wizards of the day will find a softer solution to our current trend.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:32 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,462,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I have heard many people talk about how 2008 is going to be as bad as, if not worse than 1929. Is the economy really that bad? Is it time to panic?

If that is how you get your information to make significant decisions in your life, yes, you should panic. And you should hand all of your money and belongings to any stranger that you meet on the street, to help your panic along and allow it to reach its logical and ultimate conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies