Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 08:12 PM

1,481 posts, read 1,378,295 times

Advertisements

Parent files bullying report against Texas high school coach after 91-0*rout | SI Wire

Helicopter parenting at it's best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2013, 01:14 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
i guess it is fortunate that the team isnt in california. apparently there the winning coach is fined and suspended if the margin of victory goes over 35 points. i guess for 91 the coach would face the death penalty, probably the only death penalty crime left in california.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:42 AM

17,612 posts, read 17,649,156 times
read the story. winning team pulled it's starters after 21 plays and agreed to run out the clock in the second half to try to not run up the score. i would be curious as to the real family home address of all the players on the team as well as results of Performance Enhancing Drug Test of the players.

Old 10-23-2013, 03:58 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,354,404 times
The score was terribly lopsided, but the winning coach made a good point: how does discouraging a kid to play at his best help him?
The winning coach put in his second string during the second half, and apparently did everything he could but discourage his team. Kids are kids. A second string is bound to play as hard as they can. They will naturally get the most out of the game that they possibly can get.

With such a score, I tend to think the losing team may need to go down a notch in competition, even if it's a large school, or even if the team has had strong winning season in the past. High school teams' quality always changes rapidly. Great teams are very often followed by losing teams.
There is only so much any coach can do with his boys. In this instance, the blame, if any, should be placed on the state sports authorities for allowing such a serious mis-match to happen in the first place, especially if this season has been that lousy for them consistently.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:24 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,076 times
From the local news reports (DFW area), it sounds like the winning coach was doing everything he could short of taking a knee on every play. It's not their fault the other team showed up totally unprepared for that level of competition.

It should probably be noted that the "bullying" complaint apparently came from a parent, not from the losing coach. In fact, the losing coach said he saw nothing wrong with it. This parent, on the other hand, is going to have a hard time in the future when their child is competing for scholarships, jobs, etc., if they've taught him that winning isn't important.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:27 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,725,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
It should probably be noted that the "bullying" complaint apparently came from a parent, not from the losing coach.
yeah. that would've been helpful information in the OP.

who cares what some parent thinks?

spoiler alert:
Spoiler
people are stupid

Old 10-23-2013, 07:41 AM

519 posts, read 1,023,424 times
91 is pretty absurd- this isn't the NFL, and even there coaches have more class than this. The only reason high school football exists is to provide a benefit to children. Its not real.

Old 10-23-2013, 07:51 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,005,834 times
I live very close to Western Hills High school. As can be imagined, it is big news around Fort Worth and Aledo.

I no longer keep up with football, high school or otherwise. However, it must be noted that Aledo (a small town just west of Fort Worth) is very, very good this year.

Aledo High School (TX) Football Schedule - MaxPreps.com

Heck, they beat my high school 84-7 (Arlington Heights), and O.D. Wyatt by the same score. These are big high schools (i.e., by number of students).

There used to be a 'compassion' rule or such in high school football, whereas a referee would call a game if the score got too lopsided. I guess that rule may need to be brought back.

As for the parent filing the 'bullying' complaint: I agree, it seems to be a stupid thing to do. I think the parent should instead urge Western Hills to give out a ribbon or trophy to each football player for 'participating' in the game*.

PS: isn't there some way to have the Aledo team don the Dallas Cowboy uniform for the rest of the season? Ringers, if you will.

*This is in my mind because a local school district, Keller, just announced that it was doing away with the 'award to every participant' rule, saying that these students need to learn that, in life, you are awarded for striving and achieving, not for just showing up.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:10 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I live very close to Western Hills High school. As can be imagined, it is big news around Fort Worth and Aledo.

I no longer keep up with football, high school or otherwise. However, it must be noted that Aledo (a small town just west of Fort Worth) is very, very good this year.

Aledo High School (TX) Football Schedule - MaxPreps.com

Heck, they beat my high school 84-7 (Arlington Heights), and O.D. Wyatt by the same score. These are big high schools (i.e., by number of students).

There used to be a 'compassion' rule or such in high school football, whereas a referee would call a game if the score got too lopsided. I guess that rule may need to be brought back.

As for the parent filing the 'bullying' complaint: I agree, it seems to be a stupid thing to do. I think the parent should instead urge Western Hills to give out a ribbon or trophy to each football player for 'participating' in the game*.

PS: isn't there some way to have the Aledo team don the Dallas Cowboy uniform for the rest of the season? Ringers, if you will.

*This is in my mind because a local school district, Keller, just announced that it was doing away with the 'award to every participant' rule, saying that these students need to learn that, in life, you are awarded for striving and achieving, not for just showing up.
the NFL might have an issue with that, aledo might just do too well in the NFL.

Old 10-23-2013, 08:16 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,608,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post

I never tell my ladies to play down.
When we are on the field, we are there to showcase our talents every pitch of the ball.

Playing down, is counter productive in an athletes mind.

We do however have the run rule in softball, because the games are not timed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies