Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 12:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
To tax others to pay for this is taking money out of the economy.
It's deficit spending, not tax dollars.

The only time the U.S. has not ben in debt was 1835. Every president inherits a mountain of debt and adds to it.

Debt as a percentage of GDP is the critical number. It's been substantially increasing since 2001. Our current percentage of debt is the second highest in U.S. history which is consistent with the Great Recession, the worst since the Great Depression.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2013, 12:20 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Kinda a small detail, but that welfare money also keeps the truly poor from scooping out folks brains and feasting on the goo inside. People do weird stuff when starving.

Look, we are the most prosperous country in the nation, and our taxation represents only 15.8% of our GDP. We're having this issue because we refuse to bring our taxation back up to its historical averages. If we were maybe this whole deficit thing wouldnt be so bad ya know?

Or maybe we should realize that we're increasingly moving our jobs overseas and replacing people with automation that....hey we either need to start gassing folks, or deal with the resulting social issues in a mature manner.

I keep harping about a guarenteed national income for this reason. I dont like it in some ways, but it keeps our country functional, and avoids that whole feasting on brain goo issue.

Heres a good link-we are the LEAST taxed of all OECD countries:
The U.S. Continues to Be One of the Least Taxed of the Developed Countries | CTJReports

In fact while that graph shows us as having only two countries taxed less then us, thats no longer true as our taxes as a % of GDP is at 15.8% currently.
I am a fan of the " avoidance of the feasting on the brain goo" economic theory. Seriously.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:12 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Kinda a small detail, but that welfare money also keeps the truly poor from scooping out folks brains and feasting on the goo inside. People do weird stuff when starving.

Look, we are the most prosperous country in the nation, and our taxation represents only 15.8% of our GDP. We're having this issue because we refuse to bring our taxation back up to its historical averages. If we were maybe this whole deficit thing wouldnt be so bad ya know?

Or maybe we should realize that we're increasingly moving our jobs overseas and replacing people with automation that....hey we either need to start gassing folks, or deal with the resulting social issues in a mature manner.

I keep harping about a guarenteed national income for this reason. I dont like it in some ways, but it keeps our country functional, and avoids that whole feasting on brain goo issue.

Heres a good link-we are the LEAST taxed of all OECD countries:
The U.S. Continues to Be One of the Least Taxed of the Developed Countries | CTJReports

In fact while that graph shows us as having only two countries taxed less then us, thats no longer true as our taxes as a % of GDP is at 15.8% currently.
Here! Here! This world is a little more complicated than political talking points.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:14 PM

10,216 posts, read 8,118,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
It's deficit spending, not tax dollars.

The only time the U.S. has not ben in debt was 1835. Every president inherits a mountain of debt and adds to it.

Debt as a percentage of GDP is the critical number. It's been substantially increasing since 2001. Our current percentage of debt is the second highest in U.S. history which is consistent with the Great Recession, the worst since the Great Depression.
It just amazes me how cause and effect flew out the window. We have one of the worst of far reaching economic crisis andb people are surprised welfare spending shoots up....

Old 10-24-2013, 03:42 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
That's about the same as our military spending. If we can take a trillion off from both, we'd be saving bundles.

Old 10-24-2013, 03:44 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
It just amazes me how cause and effect flew out the window. We have one of the worst of far reaching economic crisis andb people are surprised welfare spending shoots up....
Right. The safety nets were created for times like these.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:19 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,932,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The devil is in the details -- or in this case what one calls "welfare spending." One can include all kinds of things to inflate a number.
I already pointed out the importance of real bookkeeping and looking at what is really in those numbers. I am constantly amazed that people look at headlines for accurate financial information.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:29 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,898,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Huh? You do know welfare is money in some shape or form that goes towards people who need it and then in turn use that money as they get it, thus putting money back into the economy?
Right, but it's a 0 sum game at best.

Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,951,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke
To tax others to pay for this is taking money out of the economy.
Actually, when we tax people, such as the wealthy, who save more than spend and give benefits to poor people, who spend most of what they get, it is stimulative to the economy.

Old 10-24-2013, 06:18 PM

10,029 posts, read 10,893,510 times
I have no problem with Medicare and Social Security because people paid into them. That's why I get annoyed when people put them in the same category of welfare because they were entitlements one should be entitled to if paid into.

With welfare though there is a serious problem and it's affecting our society, from gangs to crime and intelligence. I have no problem helping out someone who fell on hard times like a job loss or was sick. The reality is by far the majority I have seen or known on welfare have not been in these categories. They have been:

My former best friend who was too lazy to work because it would affect her drug hobby. She would spend evenings doing drugs and mornings sleeping. She would often ignore her baby or make baby daddy (who was a 60 year old alcoholic)do the work. She had a side job as a stripper when she felt like working. I reported her because she would often sell her food stamps and saved up the cash benefit to buy a brand new car.

Someone who intentionally got pregnant to get welfare. A third person I know who had a baby with a baby daddy she knew wouldn't stick around because he didn't with his 4 other baby mamas. She would get prescriptions on welfare and sell them to others.

Then there are the welfare queens I would see in person, like at the dentist there was this woman with her nails and hair done driving a nice car then mine but would bring her 6 kids to the dentist. The kids obviously all had different dads. This lady was chewing gum and popping it with her mouth open. A couple of Christmases ago I saw a woman trying to buy electronics with the Link Card then when it was declined brought out a stack of money. As someone who just lost my job I couldn't figure out how this leech got all this money. In Illinois we even allow illegals to get many welfare programs and they now require Spanish speakers for people who shouldn't be here!

I have no problem cutting welfare from welfare queens/kings and illegals since they contribute nothing to society except future gang members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies