Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
best thing for o to do is resign and let someone experienced take the helm..
Experienced at what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 08:18 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That was my thought, and to add to it, I'd put Romney in charge. At least Romney is a successful businessman. 0bama is a successful idiot.
It used to be that you had to experience some kind of success BEFORE becoming POTUS. Now the job seems to be an entry level position.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:19 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
Experienced at what?
Holding a government office? You do realize that obummer never even did one term as senator. He's so wet behind the ears it's not funny. The presidency is NOT the job to cut your teeth on. Take someone who has been in office and been successful. Or pick a successful businessman. Someone who has actually accomplished something in their lifetime. Someone with ability and a proven track record. We don't need a newbie like obummer who can't buy a clue.

You know a lot of people don't like Palin but at least she's successfully run a state and that's a LOT more than obummer did before taking office. Since taking office, it's been down hill but that was to be expected given that his arrogance is only matched by his lack of experience. The best thing about the obummer presidency is term limits. We're rid of him in 2016. I just hope he doesn't totally F'up before then.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,973,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Holding a government office? You do realize that obummer never even did one term as senator. He's so wet behind the ears it's not funny. Take someone who has been in office and been successful. Or pick a successful businessman. Someone who has actually accomplished something in their lifetime. Someone with ability and a proven track record. We don't need a newbie like obummer who can't buy a clue.
What possible value is there in "holding a government office"?

What possible wisdom does that instill?

Old 10-28-2013, 08:29 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,678,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
Are you sure about that?

Source
What's that got to do with what I said?

Repeat for the challenged: Romney is a successful businessman.

Old 10-28-2013, 11:38 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,761,637 times
Romney is a joke. Another privileged parasite. If I was president I would have to be on the lookout to avoid assassination as my #1 priority would be to cut the root of all of our problems- central banks. The Fed would lose its privilege to create money from nothing and fractional reserve lending would end. The money would be created by the Treasury directly as the economy grew and income taxes on labor would be eliminated. Big government would die and the economy would thrive. Without central bank free money the parasites would die too. Romney would have to actually produce something to be successful. He is a smart man so I am sure he would adapt.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Sounds like something a school teacher or college professor would teach. That's why it's wrong

Quote:
I'm only 19 and I've wanted to be the POTUS since I was a kid (and I still do). There are things that I like about both dems and repubs. Contrary to people's beliefs, democrats aren't evil and republicans aren't evil.

Here's my plan (I'm not saying that it's perfect, but it's a start and I'm willing to tweak it):

In order to expand the the economy we either have to print more money or buy back bonds. Expansion will lower the cost of living. By increasing money supply, the interest rates will go down, and consumers will borrow more and spend more and businesses will be enticed to borrow more and invest more. Central banks can attempt to lower the interest rate. This would essentially lower the cost of borrowing money. Businesses and households would respond by spending more.

Tools used by the central bank to influence the supply of money in the economy:
1) Open-market operations: Buying/selling of government issued bonds to increase/decrease the supply of money, respectively.
2) Reserve Requirements: This is designed to control the amount of lending the banking system can do.
3) Discount Rate: The interest rate the central bank charges its member banks for borrowing funds.

***By buying government bonds, we will increase the supply of money (predicted $488 billion).

Fiscal Policy → where government alters total spending via any one or more of the following tools
1. Increase in gov’t purchases
2. Reduce taxes (is like an increase in your income, and as your income rises you have more to spend)
3. Increase transfer payments to low-income earning households (leads to money available to low-income households)

During A Recession → Government wants to encourage more spending by expanding supply of money
When the interest rate falls, things become cheaper to finance which increases consumption and investment spending; which will increase aggregate demand.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:16 AM

17,629 posts, read 17,696,894 times
Your first two responsibilities as President is national defense and enforcing our nation's laws. Close some foreign bases and redeploy those troops to our southern border. Use them as muscle for our border patrol agents as well as to enforce border security in remote areas. Close as many US Military bases on foreign soil as possible. If there is sufficient demand for foreign workers, then increase the work Visa limits. Shut down or greatly reduce immigration amounts from nations with known terrorist ties or are enemies of our nation. Transfer that amount to our southern neighbors.

Congressional decisions have a greater impact on the economy than the president, almost always negative. They set the budget which is increased every year. They increase taxes and fees to try to pay for their mistakes. It seems simple that if you increase taxes and fees, you increase government revenue. However, once taxes and fees goes up to a certain point, people and companies begin to find ways to make cutbacks. Eventually this leads to increased unemployment, increased tax money spent on those who qualify for unemployment, and reduced revenue. Though some corporations don't pay taxes in the traditional sense, they pay huge amounts of money to the government through income tax, sales tax, property taxes, and some taxes and fees no sane person could ever imagine existing. These employers must deal with regulations from many alphabet government agencies and it all cost money. These regulations, fees, and multitude of taxes combine to stifle opening your own business, enlarging your own business, or even staying open for business. Some regulations are sensible like those for workplace safety, fire safety, and pollution are reasonable.

Another thing to do is repeal No Child Left Behind. Since when is promoting underperforming students a good thing. If they don't make the grade, hold them back, especially in elementary school. Elementary school's main focus should be reading and simple math. If they can read and do math at their grade level, then they're well on their way towards graduation. Some high school graduates can barely read at even a 3rd grade level.

Old 10-29-2013, 01:27 AM

288 posts, read 350,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
All you have to do is stop meddling and the market will correct itself.

Something LSD's can't seem to do.

This would have been my answer if I had not been beat to it. We have a system that wants to work, all the president has to do is inspire confidence in the populace that the markets will correct and the consumer can spend without worry and the investors can escape punishment for success. Then just stay out of the way and quit tinkering, tweaking and meddling. Together, the consumers and investors would bring the economy back.

Tb

Old 10-29-2013, 02:59 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,443,958 times
Quote:
I'm only 19 and I've wanted to be the POTUS since I was a kid (and I still do). There are things that I like about both dems and repubs. Contrary to people's beliefs, democrats aren't evil and republicans aren't evil.

Here's my plan (I'm not saying that it's perfect, but it's a start and I'm willing to tweak it):

In order to expand the the economy we either have to print more money or buy back bonds. Expansion will lower the cost of living. By increasing money supply, the interest rates will go down, and consumers will borrow more and spend more and businesses will be enticed to borrow more and invest more. Central banks can attempt to lower the interest rate. This would essentially lower the cost of borrowing money. Businesses and households would respond by spending more.

Tools used by the central bank to influence the supply of money in the economy:
1) Open-market operations: Buying/selling of government issued bonds to increase/decrease the supply of money, respectively.
2) Reserve Requirements: This is designed to control the amount of lending the banking system can do.
3) Discount Rate: The interest rate the central bank charges its member banks for borrowing funds.

***By buying government bonds, we will increase the supply of money (predicted $488 billion).

Fiscal Policy → where government alters total spending via any one or more of the following tools
1. Increase in gov’t purchases
2. Reduce taxes (is like an increase in your income, and as your income rises you have more to spend)
3. Increase transfer payments to low-income earning households (leads to money available to low-income households)

During A Recession → Government wants to encourage more spending by expanding supply of money
When the interest rate falls, things become cheaper to finance which increases consumption and investment spending; which will increase aggregate demand.
Decent plan; personally if I were President, I'd attempt to pass as many things of course rather it's having my Congress speak with Healthcare providers (not insurance) about why they are charging as much as they are so we could find ways to reduce overall healthcare cost for starters. I would attempt to pass a industrial modernization bill, that would essentially build the infrastructure that companies from around the globe could move into, it would modernize manufacturing by building "shipping-specified highways" that essentially take trucks directly to the ports of America, and I would dramatically increase the amount of inland ports across the USA. To accompany my industrial modernization bill, I would attempt to create more programs that allow high school graduates and adults to essentially bypass getting an traditional education because not everyone wants to go to college to get a job, plus this in affect would reduce or at least stagnate the cost education.

I would create a Sovereign-Wealth fund to attempt to close deficits, and then eventually that goes towards saving for our nations future. I would reduce corporate tax and reduce loop-holes. I would tax repatriated at a very minimal rate or even create an infrastructure bank that issues bonds for those companies to purchase. I would repeal some of the FDA regulations against small farmers. Immigration is sort of touchy, if I were to grant amnesty I wouldn't allow them to be entitled to all the benefits of a traditional US Citizen but of course their children would be but the only way I would grant amnesty is to truly lockdown our borders no matter the cost. I would reform welfare and redesign it so that it's truly a safety net for those who are trying hard to make it but need a little help. I would put much focus on our education system, and look to nations such as Germany, South Korea, Etc for help. I would probably try to make the US a dual-currency country but not in the sense you're probably thinking of, but instead keeping our current dollar on top of adding an "industrial dollar" which has a lower value than the dollar and this is designed to essentially reduce the cost of exporting goods from the US and it would be totally digital-based.

I would reduce military funding over the years as we stop being the worlds cop and move those funds towards NASA in hopes to spur more innovation. I would find certain regulations for large corporations that are expensive and unneeded and repeal them in exchange for those corporations raising their minimum wage. I've written down tons of things I'd like to do, but the more interesting ideas are left to paper to avoid them being stolen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies