Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2013, 11:26 AM

7,108 posts, read 8,974,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
Oh so you're saying you should be able to choose who you want to hire based on race?
People do it all the time.

If I want to play Chinese Jazz at my wedding and wanted to hire a Chinese band instead of a Mexican band I will do it.

Now lets say I was hiring a janitor to work for me. I have a White applicant and an Asian applicant. The Asian applicant was more qualified but I hired the White guy because I have heard bad things about Asians and don't feel comfortable with hiring them. That would be a discrimination case and I should be sued. Even though it is my company and I should hire who I want I took away opportunity to work based on race.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2013, 11:28 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Hopefully the band will sue for racial discrimination. It's a pretty clean cut case.
Ironically, the band was obligated to sign a performance contract with the Hype Committee stating it would not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, physical ability, or sexual orientation.

According to a statement by Elaine Thomas, a Hampshire College spokesperson, 'some students expressed their concerns about cultural appropriation and the need to respect marginalized cultures.'

Really? Celebrating a musical style is disrespectful of its cultural roots?

Last edited by PanTerra; 10-29-2013 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 11:56 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,180,231 times
By this standard, no white person should have been allowed to play blues. We would never have seen The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or Led Zeppelin, among others.

Would the Average White Band had their name stripped away because they played "black" music?

Why wouldn't a marginalized culture be happy that another culture had embraced their music style enough to learn to play and perform it?

Old 10-29-2013, 12:00 PM

7,814 posts, read 6,393,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjtinmemphis View Post

If I want to play Chinese Jazz at my wedding and wanted to hire a Chinese band instead of a Mexican band I will do it.

Now lets say I was hiring a janitor to work for me. I have a White applicant and an Asian applicant. The Asian applicant was more qualified but I hired the White guy because I have heard bad things about Asians and don't feel comfortable with hiring them. That would be a discrimination case and I should be sued. Even though it is my company and I should hire who I want I took away opportunity to work based on race.

I do, but I should have clarified. They were already hired. They were fired based on race.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:15 PM

4,112 posts, read 4,475,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
By this standard, no white person should have been allowed to play blues. We would never have seen The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, or Led Zeppelin, among others.

Would the Average White Band had their name stripped away because they played "black" music?

Why wouldn't a marginalized culture be happy that another culture had embraced their music style enough to learn to play and perform it?
There is a difference between embrace and appropriate.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I do, but I should have clarified. They were already hired. They were fired based on race.
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this way but they where paid when they where canceled. I don't think there was a monetary loss. I don't think a lawsuit is appropriate. Nothing was done to damage their reputation. If anything the school will hurt because of the decision. White bands should protest if they see fit. It would be different if this was Howard or Tennessee State. The school is White and fired a White band because of the band wasn't who they where looking for.

Personally, the decisions was silly. Good music doesn't have a color.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:35 PM

6,500 posts, read 6,037,907 times
Quote:

You should be able to hire whoever the hell you want, period. But we live in a world where certain people just cant have their feelings hurt. I dont have a problem with what this festival did, except for the fact that with liberals, it doesnt work both ways. They wont stand up for the white band, but they would if colors were reversed.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:39 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,127,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Ironically, the band was obligated to sign a performance contract with the Hype Committee stating it would not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, physical ability, or sexual orientation.

According to a statement by Elaine Thomas, a Hampshire College spokesperson, "some students expressed their concerns about cultural appropriation and the need to respect marginalized cultures."

Really? Celebrating a musical style is disrespectful of its cultural roots?
Students' complained huh? Just as I asserted....guilty white liberals....in this case the spawn of disgusting white liberal parents. If it were up to me, these people would not walk the planet for a second more.

Old 10-29-2013, 12:44 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,821,652 times
Quote:
Maybe I'm wrong in thinking this way but they where paid when they where canceled. I don't think there was a monetary loss. I don't think a lawsuit is appropriate. Nothing was done to damage their reputation. If anything the school will hurt because of the decision. White bands should protest if they see fit. It would be different if this was Howard or Tennessee State. The school is White and fired a White band because of the band wasn't who they where looking for.

Personally, the decisions was silly. Good music doesn't have a color.

What? Were they expecting, from the looks of them, a Beach Boys or Robert Goulet cover band doing The Impossible Dream? Of course, even that would probably be construed as a form of appropriation.

Last edited by PanTerra; 10-29-2013 at 12:54 PM..

Old 10-29-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Students' complained huh? Just as I asserted....guilty white liberals....in this case the spawn of disgusting white liberal parents. If it were up to me, these people would not walk the planet for a second more.
I do understand but you have understand everyone doesn't thinks like you. (I hope you can appreciate that fact). Where would you send these White liberals? Marz Jupiter or San Francisco? Lol.

"Why can't we all just get along".
Rodney King
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies