Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 11:11 PM

2,935 posts, read 4,999,029 times

Advertisements

Do you have a tendency to blame people for their own situations? If so, would you proudly label yourself a "social darwinist" of sorts? Or do you have a tendency to blame society, or possibly external, non-societal factors? Or do you try to combine both to reach a balanced approximation in a variety of cases? Or do you completely not care and not feel like answering this question because you feel that the question is stupid and poorly worded, intended merely to inflame conflict and irrational diatribes rather than foster enlightenment and understanding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 11:18 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishmonger View Post
Do you have a tendency to blame people for their own situations? If so, would you proudly label yourself a "social darwinist" of sorts? Or do you have a tendency to blame society, or possibly external, non-societal factors? Or do you try to combine both to reach a balanced approximation in a variety of cases? Or do you completely not care and not feel like answering this question because you feel that the question is stupid and poorly worded, intended merely to inflame conflict and irrational diatribes rather than foster enlightenment and understanding?
I think it's a combination of both

Old 11-21-2007, 12:01 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,233 times
Quote:
Crack me up, why don't you.

(Please note, I didn't make that a question so you have no need to answer.)

Old 11-21-2007, 01:11 AM

1,511 posts, read 978,024 times
it varies from topic to topic. we tend to be given a social framework to operate within. that can be too restrictive or misguided, often. when it's not, you blame the individual. simple.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:52 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,190,263 times
Quote:
In order to have a society you must first make one out of individuals. It isn't a matter of blame it is a matter of taking responsibility for ones actions. Societal norms set the level of what our responsibilities are but it is ultimately up to each individual to live within the confines of that societies structures. So I would say both, but more the former than the latter.

I think your use of the term social Darwinism doesn't entirely apply in the context you are framing this but it is a good question and one that will sadly not get a great many responses.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:57 AM

6,762 posts, read 11,627,880 times
I believe personal responsibility is very important. When enough people have enough personal responsibility, it translates into social responsibility. People should be responsible for taking care of themselves and making good decisions. But people screw up too. So part of personal responsibility is being reasonable in being able to forgive others for their mistakes and realizing you will need to be forgiven for your mistakes. Part of personal responsibility also involves helping people in need. I think its best for individuals to do what they can to help others rather than passing the buck and expecting government or some organization to do it for them. Sure there needs to be some level of government and organizational help for problems in society, but people need to be helpful to their community on a personal level as well, not just waiting for someone else to do it.

Old 11-21-2007, 07:58 AM

327 posts, read 755,090 times
It's a combo of both, I think.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:03 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,149 times
I think it woudl depend upon the situation.

A lot of what 'just happens' to a person is directly linked to their own decisions,or lack of decisions.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:08 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,636,245 times
Is a very good question, but yes inflammatory to some, who don't know where they stand or are in a foggy place with reality.

I believe personal responsibility is everything. And as tnbound states, requires us also to be socially responsible toward those less fortunate, since we as individuals make up our society. Those who are mentally challenged, children, etc. are excused. The rest of us need to get busy....

Old 11-21-2007, 08:13 AM

20,329 posts, read 19,917,068 times
When I look back at my largest and too many so-call "lifes" problems and mistakes, they were definitely caused by me. When people commit crimes, enjoy drug use and crank out baby after baby with no thought of their nurturing, I do believe they have to take responsibility for their actions or there may be consequences.

I'm less apt to throw the blame on others first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies