Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM

32,075 posts, read 15,067,783 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I will ignore your naive comments on gun ownership, however parents are NOT being parents anymore.
I was telling about my experience with guns growing up. How is that being naive? And every generation criticizes parents and their children because they think they know better. But you don't know better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 10:51 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
I wouldn't doubt it. But I simply don't trust pharmaceuticals for anything beyond acute care issues, like painkillers after an accident or something similar. They're giving things like Prozac to people who likely don't need them. My doctor gave me that type of drug back in the 90s and let's just say it didn't work out. I ended up discovering that my problem was a vitamin D subclinical deficiency. Vitamin D fixed it.
Based on several reports I've read, these SSRIs can really alter a person's way of thinking (and that's why suicidal thoughts is listed as one of the possible side effects).
Too many people rely on prescription drugs.
All I can say for sure is that I've really noticed that people in general are crazier now than they were when the calendar was still 1999. People fly off the handle for no reason and many cannot seem to think clearly enough to maintain an intelligent conversation. All you get from them is pop culture cliches and no substance beneath that. There's definitely been a change.
That's called dumbing down.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,928,039 times
In a perfect world All men would be armed equally.
there would be no weak to take advantage of.
To bad the government does not look at al men as equal.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:53 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,994,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That's called dumbing down.
Thanks for the clarification on that.
You think drugs could not possibly be responsible?

Old 11-01-2013, 10:55 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton360 View Post
I wouldn't doubt it. But I simply don't trust pharmaceuticals for anything beyond acute care issues, like painkillers after an accident or something similar. They're giving things like Prozac to people who likely don't need them. My doctor gave me that type of drug back in the 90s and let's just say it didn't work out. I ended up discovering that my problem was a vitamin D subclinical deficiency. Vitamin D fixed it.
Based on several reports I've read, these SSRIs can really alter a person's way of thinking (and that's why suicidal thoughts is listed as one of the possible side effects).
Too many people rely on prescription drugs.
All I can say for sure is that I've really noticed that people in general are crazier now than they were when the calendar was still 1999. People fly off the handle for no reason and many cannot seem to think clearly enough to maintain an intelligent conversation. All you get from them is pop culture cliches and no substance beneath that. There's definitely been a change.
Yes and to add to that, it is now more socially acceptable to be crazy then it was back then too.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st33lcas3 View Post
That's what I think too. These mass shootings have gotten worse over the last few decades because we've gutted our mental health care (Thanks Regan!) and allow the deeply disturbed to not only walk around in society, but we allow them to medicate themselves. The vast majority of mass shooting all have the same back-stories, most involving mistreated, untreated or undiagnosed mental issues.

It's simply easier to blame guns than to rebuild our mental health care system.

If you require powerful anti-psychotic drugs or are diagnosed with severe mental problems, you should be placed in a home where you can be cared for 24/7.
Get a load of the drug Lyrica. It's one of these SSRIs and now they're saying it can be used for fibromyalgia. Then again, I guess Pfizer needs to recoup some of the $2.3 billion settlement they reached with the FDA for misbranding.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:57 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,937,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
I was telling about my experience with guns growing up. How is that being naive? And every generation criticizes parents and their children because they think they know better. But you don't know better.
I raised 4 productive college graduates that are an asset to society. I would say I got something right. I DO KNOW BETTER... (Incidentally my grandkids are being raised as I raised my children and they are turning out well too.)

Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Yes and to add to that, it is now more socially acceptable to be crazy then it was back then too.
That's true. I think that's where mass media (especially TV) comes into play. They make it seem like the norm is to be crazy.

Old 11-01-2013, 10:58 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freightshaker View Post
I will ignore your naive comments on gun ownership, however parents are NOT being parents anymore.
Yes, and also some schools had "gun clubs" (I think that is the correct term). In which students who belonged to the club would meet after school on school grounds and they *had guns*! Yet, they didn't go around shooting other people.

My answer to the question in this thread would be the decay of society.

Old 11-01-2013, 11:02 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,898,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Yes, and also some schools had "gun clubs" (I think that is the correct term). In which students who belonged to the club would meet after school on school grounds and they *had guns*! Yet, they didn't go around shooting other people.

My answer to the question in this thread would be the decay of society.
I would say the same, except I would add to that.... the decay of society through Liberalism......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies