Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 11:04 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,979 times

Advertisements

I've noticed there is a large percentage of people on C-D that tend to flow with the typical "law and order" mentality, everything is black and white, and cops are always right mantra. But, this strict adherence to the law exists only when it suits their political leanings. Labor law? Those laws don't apply to them. There was thread on here the other day asking about fathers taking leave for the birth of their child. One poster in particular made it quite clear that he would fire any man taking leave, the FMLA be damned. Environment laws? Those are communist and to be ignored. Restrictions on government power such as surveillance? You must be some sort of terrorist supporter if you believe such non-sense. I never understand this sort of mentality. Is it just a lack of morality or is it some cognitive dissonance that allows these types to consider themselves to be the strict enforcers of the laws while at the same time allowing themselves to ignore the very laws that don't match their views.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 11:31 AM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
I think it is a normal part of "the human condition".
the next time you drive or walk through your town, pay close attention to the people and the vehicles.
How many "jaywalkers" do you see? (Crossing the street other than in a crosswalk is illegal almost everywhere!)
How many vehicles do you see that don't come to a complete stop at a stop sign?
How many vehicles actually STOP before making a "right turn on red" at a controlled intersection?
How many times do you see the light turn red before a vehicle clears the intersection?
How many times do you see somebody talking on a cell phone while driving, even though it is illegal?
How often do you see people make a turn without any kind of signal?

But, then we have things like the current PSAs against "distracted driving", that tell us that "Distracted driving is anything that takes your eyes off the road ahead, or your hand(s) off the steering wheel!"
SO, it is apparently illegal to look at the rear view mirror, or the speedometer. It is illegal to adjust the radio volume. Or the heater controls. Of course, the greatest distraction for drivers in the world MUST be illegal: KIDS in the BACK SEAT!
There is a very good reason so many don't pay attention to "the rule of law"! That rule is so often ridiculous!

Old 11-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
There is a very good reason so many don't pay attention to "the rule of law"! That rule is so often ridiculous!
I agree with you there, but that is not the point. I don't pledge blind allegiance to law. I never have. My question is about people that do, but then turn around and flagrantly ignore laws that don't suit their political views. A good example is someone like Charles Keating. He was a fire and brimstone L&O fanatic when it came to his personal pet peeves, but he was also one of the biggest criminals in US history.

Old 11-02-2013, 11:46 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,396,474 times
I speed, slow and go at stop signs, smoke pot, and countless other things that are against the law. It's the duty of every citizen to ignore dumb laws. Otherwise, it isn't a free country, is it?

Old 11-02-2013, 11:54 AM

3,038 posts, read 2,514,660 times
Law and order types crack me up. I'm not saying to go out and break every law. But sometimes it's a good thing to do it. Just because it is a law does make it right. Ask Rosa.

Old 11-02-2013, 01:14 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,980,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
I agree with you there, but that is not the point. I don't pledge blind allegiance to law. I never have. My question is about people that do, but then turn around and flagrantly ignore laws that don't suit their political views. A good example is someone like Charles Keating. He was a fire and brimstone L&O fanatic when it came to his personal pet peeves, but he was also one of the biggest criminals in US history.
My point was that many (if not most) of those doing the things I pointed out ARE "law and order types"!
They expect OTHERS to obey every law, while they go blithely on their way ignoring the laws that are an inconvenience to them!
I don't think "political views" have all that much to do with it. these are the same people who will drive 6 blocks to the Y, spend half an hour exercising in the gym or pool, then jaywalk to get to their car so they can drive the 6 blocks home.
It is really all about "MY convenience"!

Old 11-02-2013, 01:18 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,861,848 times
Quote:
I've noticed there is a large percentage of people on C-D that tend to flow with the typical "law and order" mentality, everything is black and white, and cops are always right mantra. But, this strict adherence to the law exists only when it suits their political leanings. Labor law? Those laws don't apply to them. There was thread on here the other day asking about fathers taking leave for the birth of their child. One poster in particular made it quite clear that he would fire any man taking leave, the FMLA be damned. Environment laws? Those are communist and to be ignored. Restrictions on government power such as surveillance? You must be some sort of terrorist supporter if you believe such non-sense. I never understand this sort of mentality. Is it just a lack of morality or is it some cognitive dissonance that allows these types to consider themselves to be the strict enforcers of the laws while at the same time allowing themselves to ignore the very laws that don't match their views.
I think it is funny that you oppose black and white, and yet your argument is exactly black and white... Separating those who oppose your view... It is not as simple as you think...

Old 11-02-2013, 01:31 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,485,953 times
The world is grey and complicated in many regards. Some things are black and white, like beating kids and womean.

The CIA, on the other hand, is a neccesary evil CriminalsInAction.

The crux of the matter is hypocracy and everyone does it. We expect others to do right and then justify our bad behavior, at times.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:06 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times
Quote:
You can't have blind allegiance to laws but disregard laws. Your problem is with those who disagree with you in general.

Old 11-02-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can't have blind allegiance to laws but disregard laws. Your problem is with those who disagree with you in general.
Awww, did I strike a nerve?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies