Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 03:47 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,379,331 times

Advertisements

In antiquity, when a nation went to war, the winners didn't spend droves of money rebuilding the countries they conquered. They pillaged, plundered and moved on. However there is a modern welfare mentality that the winners must spend billions to rebuild the country of their adversary, and conservatives are all for it. An enormous amount of money, money that will come out of our paychecks, is going into Iraqi and Afghanistan hospitals, schools, health care, infrastructure, etc. and I have yet to hear a conservative complain about it, they actually defend it! Yet they would rather eat glass than give a dollar towards better health care and education for America's poor? Why are conservatives so empathetic to people in war torn countries, but not the impoverished people of their own country?

As Colonel Bagley says to Captain Algren in the movie The Last Samurai because he favored his Japanese enemies over his American colleagues, "What is it about your own people that you hate so much?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2013, 04:40 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Ha. I literally came here to make the exact same thread topic. It's amazing how much Conservative hate "wealth redistribution" but love the biggest "wealth redistribution" program on Earth -- America's military.

How else would you describe taking hard-earned American dollars and sending it overseas to a bunch of "takers." That's the problem w/ politics today... there's no one breaking down the talking points to core elements. Welfare is bad when it feeds a hungry family, but great when it pads the bottom line of oil companies and the war machine overseas.

I don't expect to hear from any Conservatives here on this b/c it's going to be the same lip service. "I hate spending $ on the MIC, but let's start dealing w/ it by taking $ from hungry kids, and old people living on SS, and infrastructure repairs, and gov't workers, etc."

Old 11-04-2013, 04:44 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,231,741 times
Military spending is constitutional, welfare, education, health, infrastructure is not.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:49 PM

4,512 posts, read 5,058,283 times
How many liberals voted against funding all or any of our wars ? I think you'll find that since WWI, most of the Congress's have been Democratic. And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the re-building of Europe after WWII a Roosevelt/Truman idea?

9,701 posts, read 5,116,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
Military spending is constitutional, welfare, education, health, infrastructure is not.
Take it up w/ the Supreme Court then. They've had decades to upend all of it and haven't ruled that any of that spending is unconstitutional. Or are you one of those Conservatives that only accepts the parts of the Constitution that you like?

46,967 posts, read 26,011,859 times
But conservatives give money to their own people. Halliburton, Lockheed, Raytheon, General Dynamics etc. etc. make out like bandits when there's a war on. Hell, Raytheon stock skyrocketed (sorry) when the saber rattling regarding Syria peaked.

Oh - wait. You thought conservatives considered the rank-and-file American citizens "their own people"? Not any more. That went out right around Eisenhower's days.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:52 PM

31,292 posts, read 20,753,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surftown831 View Post
In antiquity, when a nation went to war, the winners didn't spend droves of money rebuilding the countries they conquered. They pillaged, plundered and moved on. However there is a modern welfare mentality that the winners must spend billions to rebuild the country of their adversary, and conservatives are all for it. An enormous amount of money, money that will come out of our paychecks, is going into Iraqi and Afghanistan hospitals, schools, health care, infrastructure, etc. and I have yet to hear a conservative complain about it, they actually defend it! Yet they would rather eat glass than give a dollar towards better health care and education for America's poor? Why are conservatives so empathetic to people in war torn countries, but not the impoverished people of their own country?

As Colonel Bagley says to Captain Algren in the movie The Last Samurai because he favored his Japanese enemies over his American colleagues, "What is it about your own people that you hate so much?"
In antiquity, when a nation went to war, the winners didn't spend droves of money rebuilding the countries they conquered. They pillaged, plundered and moved on. However there is a modern welfare mentality that the winners must spend billions to rebuild the country of their adversary, and Obama and his liberals are all for it. An enormous amount of money, money that will come out of our paychecks, is going into Iraqi and Afghanistan hospitals, schools, health care, infrastructure, etc. and I have yet to hear a liberal complain about it, they actually defend it! Yet they would rather eat glass than give a dollar towards better health care and education for America's poor? Why are Obama and his liberals so empathetic to people in war torn countries, but not the impoverished people of their own country?

Old 11-04-2013, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
But conservatives give money to their own people. Halliburton, Lockheed, Raytheon, General Dynamics etc. etc. make out like bandits when there's a war on. Hell, Raytheon stock skyrocketed (sorry) when the saber rattling regarding Syria peaked.

Oh - wait. You thought conservatives considered the rank-and-file American citizens "their own people"? Not any more. That went out right around Eisenhower's days.
But Obama and his liberals give money to their own people. Halliburton, Lockheed, Raytheon, General Dynamics etc. etc. make out like bandits when there's a war on. Hell, Raytheon stock skyrocketed (sorry) when the saber rattling regarding Syria peaked.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
Ha. I literally came here to make the exact same thread topic. It's amazing how much Conservative hate "wealth redistribution" but love the biggest "wealth redistribution" program on Earth -- America's military.

How else would you describe taking hard-earned American dollars and sending it overseas to a bunch of "takers." That's the problem w/ politics today... there's no one breaking down the talking points to core elements. Welfare is bad when it feeds a hungry family, but great when it pads the bottom line of oil companies and the war machine overseas.

I don't expect to hear from any Conservatives here on this b/c it's going to be the same lip service. "I hate spending $ on the MIC, but let's start dealing w/ it by taking $ from hungry kids, and old people living on SS, and infrastructure repairs, and gov't workers, etc."
And I don't expect to hear from any Obama lemmings here on this b/c it's going to be the same lip service. "I hate spending $ on the MIC, but let's start dealing w/ it by taking $ from hungry kids, and old people living on SS, and infrastructure repairs, and gov't workers, etc."

Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,750,585 times
Geeze OP, you sound like you think you have an entitled to other peoples money. How lame you can't take care of yourself. Why should we have to give the money we earn to you? Because you can fog up a mirror?

Last edited by petch751; 11-04-2013 at 05:14 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies