Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Did Obama Deliberately Lie?
Yes, he lied. 232 86.25%
No, he did not lie. 28 10.41%
I'm not sure/don't know/don't care/Bush made him lie/other 9 3.35%
Voters: 269. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 04:08 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanderling View Post
I am not a 'bot but I don't think he lied. LIE, to me, is a deliberate attempt to mislead through dishonesty. What happened here is different than that and I don't think deceit is at work. Political "lying" is a whole different animal.

No matter who is making political promises, there are just too many moving parts for any one person to be completely accountable for every statement made. I take EVERY SINGLE ONE with a boulder of salt. In fact, I interpret each one to be something along the lines of "If I had my way and no one could stop me, and assuming nothing changes between this moment in time and the time when what I am talking about comes to pass, this is how I'd make it happen...."

So in that context I really hesitate to call what happened here a lie. Covering up something after the fact in order to cover one's inappropriate action is lying. Making a political promise one is later unable to keep? Not lying. Wishful thinking. Naivete. Not lying.
Nice try. The problem is, Obama was repeating the lie after he knew the truth. He's not a stupid man. Dozens of gov't. documents discussed the millions who'd lose their existing insurance. Cripes, I knew that people whose policies didn't meet Obamacare standards or changed their provisions were gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:13 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,686,936 times
Quote:
I am not a 'bot but I don't think he lied. LIE, to me, is a deliberate attempt to mislead through dishonesty. What happened here is different than that and I don't think deceit is at work. Political "lying" is a whole different animal.

No matter who is making political promises, there are just too many moving parts for any one person to be completely accountable for every statement made. I take EVERY SINGLE ONE with a boulder of salt. In fact, I interpret each one to be something along the lines of "If I had my way and no one could stop me, and assuming nothing changes between this moment in time and the time when what I am talking about comes to pass, this is how I'd make it happen...."

So in that context I really hesitate to call what happened here a lie. Covering up something after the fact in order to cover one's inappropriate action is lying. Making a political promise one is later unable to keep? Not lying. Wishful thinking. Naivete. Not lying.
You are a bot, a useful O-bot. You were lied to deliberately, we were all lied to, over, and over and over again by our president. His own staff questioned whether Obama should be speaking those lies, and Obama overruled them, and went on lying, because it was working.

Obama said we could keep our plans and doctors and see our premiums drop, not just a few times, Obama made those promises dozens of times, "period."

Marc Thiessen: Obama's dishonest presidency - The Washington Post

It’s not easy to get a lie into a presidential speech. Every draft address is circulated to the White House senior staff and key Cabinet officials in something called the “staffing process.” Every line is reviewed by dozens of senior officials, who offer comments and factual corrections. During this process, it turns out, some of Obama’s policy advisers objected to the “you can keep your plan” pledge, pointing out that it was untrue. But it stayed in the speech. That does not happen by accident. It requires a willful intent to deceive.

It's a lie if you know that "campaign promise" is untrue, cannot be kept, and is direct opposition to the law. He ****ing lied, knowingly, deliberately, and repeatedly.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:15 PM

26,528 posts, read 15,097,583 times
Interesting to click on the voter info to see who the obamabots are that think he didn't lie. And which usual obamabots chose not to vote at all.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:24 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,750,103 times
Seems every night Jonathan Karl of ABC News catches Obama in more lies.

I put ABC News in bold so Obama worshippers don't accuse me of getting my information from Fox News.

Old 11-05-2013, 05:07 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga
of course he lied.
Yes he kenw he had to OR NO ONE WOULD BUY INTO HIS BS PLAN TO TAKE CONTROL!!

Old 11-05-2013, 05:20 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,860,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
The whitehouse.gov website RIGHT NOW says that if you had insurance, that you wont need to change a dam thing.

He's STILL lying..
In 2010 it said you WILL NOT PAY MORE

http://web.archive.org/web/201003202...-own-insurance

That same page STILL SAYS THAT!!!!! (No surprise they havent changed it!!)

http://www.whitehouse.gov/health-car...-own-insurance

Old 11-05-2013, 06:06 PM

1,281 posts, read 1,423,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
So when it's political, deliberately attempting to mislead through dishonesty is NOT a lie? I will NEVER understand the liberal mind.

Of course you "hesitate" -can't be criticizing your dear leader, now can you?
No, what I said was that when it's political, it's not deliberately attempting to mislead through dishonesty. Anyone who takes what politicians say as promises they can deliver on no matter what deserves what they get. This is a basic lesson of watching campaigns that every halfway intelligent citizen should understand. It's ludicrous to hold these kinds of impossible-to-deliver-upon promises over politician's heads.

No question, Obama handled this badly as he has so many other things. Sometimes I really wonder what he's thinking. But he does NOT govern in a vacuum and can't control every nuance of every bill. He absolutely should have hedged the language all along. He gets no points from me for the way this was handled.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:22 PM

11,185 posts, read 6,514,129 times
Quote:
No, what I said was that when it's political, it's not deliberately attempting to mislead through dishonesty. Anyone who takes what politicians say as promises they can deliver on no matter what deserves what they get. This is a basic lesson of watching campaigns that every halfway intelligent citizen should understand. It's ludicrous to hold these kinds of impossible-to-deliver-upon promises over politician's heads.

No question, Obama handled this badly as he has so many other things. Sometimes I really wonder what he's thinking. But he does NOT govern in a vacuum and can't control every nuance of every bill. He absolutely should have hedged the language all along. He gets no points from me for the way this was handled.
Stop calling it a campaign promise. He repeated the lie After the bill passed and had to know he was lying.

whether people who liked their insurance could keep it, the essential minimum standards, the grandfather clause, weren't obscure elements buried among the couple-thousand pages. Millions losing their coverage was written about by government agencies and impartial experts. He lied. Period.

Old 11-05-2013, 07:26 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,065,293 times
Of course he lied.

I smell a bloodbath in the midterms.

GOP may just take over the senate and increase our majority in the house.

Turns out to be a positive after all!

Old 11-05-2013, 07:28 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,234,166 times
Quote:

He deliberately misled, he deliberately made statements that were untrue. He knew that they were untrue. That on my world is called a lie.
If I sell you a car and I say. It was never in an accident. The engine is great and don't worry about the breaks they are fine. If the thing turns out to have an R title, the engine burns oil as fast as you can put it in and the breaks are metal on metal I lied. It doesn't matter if I am a politician or a car salesman. A lie is a lie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies