Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 10:15 AM

872 posts, read 827,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
"People who think like" me???

You're wrong. I like having my own money, AND I also like to pay taxes because I like living in this country. I like to vote, and I accept the consequences of elections, and the peaceful turning over of power from one party to another when it happens.

As long as you can have your own money.....to heck with everyone else.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:09 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
Hmmm, the United States Supreme Court disagrees with you
The SCOTUS basically said that the federal government has the authority to levy taxes. That's it.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:12 AM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dv1033 View Post
Nice copy and paste, probably bordering on plagiarism.... Teehee.
Liberal fanatics frequently make that accusation when they can't argue with what I said. If you can't refute the message, attack the messenger instead. One of their more frequent lies.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Right? A lot of these far right conservatives seem pretty intimate with liberals.... Always knowing what liberals think....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I've noticed that. My theory is they have a secret Palantir, like in Lord of the Rings. That's how they always know everything.
Um...

Quote:
Conservatives are all greedy, cold-hearted ba***rds who are only out for themselves and try to cover up their selfishness with deflection and denial.
Incredible hypocrisy demonstrated, and only a few posts apart.

You guys make it too easy sometimes.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
But seriously, it wasn't a right for women and colored people to vote. Luckily in this country we are constantly evolving and reassessing our views. So spare me, healthcare is a right if we as a country choose so.
There's a little more to it than that.

What changed to allow women and colored people to vote?

Has that same change taken place with regard to health care?

Is there a movement to make that change?

Health care is not a right.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:28 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Um...

Incredible hypocrisy demonstrated, and only a few posts apart.

You guys make it too easy sometimes.
Way to ignore the post I was responding to. Did you really think I would let you get away with this one? Talk about easy.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
You leeches rationalize stealing from others in such stupid ways. Leftists are ALL criminals.
Originally posted by jmqueen

Well, as long as we are engaging in hyperbole, sweeping generalizations and sheer ugliness:

Conservatives are all greedy, cold-hearted ba***rds who are only out for themselves and try to cover up their selfishness with deflection and denial.
I was, you know, making a point about the other poster. I identified it as hyperbole and a sweeping generation.

Remedial Reading is right down the hall, on the right.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:37 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogead View Post
There are no inherent rights anywhere in the world. A given society creates a set of rights which are based upon the dominant ethical positions held by the members of that society. There was a time when wealthy plantation holders had the right to enslave other human beings in The United States. There was also a time when industrialists had the right to abuse small children by requiring them to work seventy hours a week in dangerous conditions for negligible compensation. The list of rights in a given society change based upon that society's social evolution.

Virtually every economically stable democracy in the world has determined that the general health if its citizenry is not only a right to be enjoyed by those citizens, but also an issue of vital national interest. The United States is the outlier on this issue. That is largely because this has become a society which has determined that maintaining the profit streams of the wealthy is far more important than providing the basic necessities to all of its citizens. Unfortunately, social evolution is sometimes replaced by social devolution.
Nicely put!

Of course, there will always be those who argue that the social contract just doesn't apply to them.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Way to ignore the post I was responding to.
I ignored nothing.

Quote:
I was, you know, making a point about the other poster. I identified it as hyperbole and a sweeping generation.
And yet you still wrote it...

Do you really think that you're afforded special privileges simply for being you? The facts are clear - you insulted a rather large group of people, claiming that they think they know everything, including what other people think, and almost immediately before that, you did the exact thing you complained about.

And it's not the first time you've made those kind of accusations and insults. Your history on this site makes that very, very clear.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:48 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Fast forward to the 21st century. Now we have self-serving politicians screaming from the rooftops that health care is somehow a "right", though it comes nowhere close to resembling a right to liberty, right to speech, right to self-defense etc.
Let me ask you this:

If you or one of your family members were to come down with an acute medical problem, would you first check your financial / insurance status before deciding to call 9-11 for help?

No?

Then hush. You'd be like any of the rest of us, rich or poor, who would frantically beg for and expect quick help to do whatever possible to save the lives of our loved ones, whether they can personally afford emergency treatment or not.

Insofar as that is the case, healthcare has been recognized in this nation as a RIGHT, not a privilege.

Last edited by ambient; 11-08-2013 at 11:58 AM..

Old 11-08-2013, 11:49 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,528,639 times
Why shouldn't it be a right?

What do you have against people getting health care to live a happy and productive life?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies