Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2007, 12:01 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,614,054 times

Advertisements

The Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest gay rights group, is giving Wal-Mart (WMT) a red "do not buy" rating in its new consumer guide, bestowing a lump of coal on the retail giant just in time for the holiday shopping season.

Citing Wal-Mart's refusal to offer domestic partner benefits to its gay and lesbian workers, the HRC said Tuesday that the USA's biggest private employer has "more work to do in furthering equality." It advised gays and their supporters to shop elsewhere.

Gay rights group raises red flag on Wal-Mart policies - USATODAY.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2007, 04:47 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,634,940 times
Doesn't surprise me to hear this.

Wal-Mart has got one of the worst record for human rights violations and their sense of ethics and social justice is non existent. Why stop at exploiting third world workers, producers and children , or even their own staff when when Gay and Lesbian are easy pickings too ?! After all it all boils down to making as much profit as possible , anyway they can.

I would never shop at their shop or any of their subsidiaries and trading allies ( such as ASDA in the UK).

I know everything they sell is cheap and to many people this is the only issue due to severe financial constraints, but those of us who can afford more ethical and moral retailers should be boycotting it and demanding better working conditions for all their employees, producers at home and abroad.

Those multinationals are literally getting away with murder because we are greedy as are they. It's just plain wrong.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:08 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Doesn't surprise me to hear this.

Wal-Mart has got one of the worst record for human rights violations and their sense of ethics and social justice is non existent. Why stop at exploiting third world workers, producers and children , or even their own staff when when Gay and Lesbian are easy pickings too ?! After all it all boils down to making as much profit as possible , anyway they can.

I would never shop at their shop or any of their subsidiaries and trading allies ( such as ASDA in the UK).

I know everything they sell is cheap and to many people this is the only issue due to severe financial constraints, but those of us who can afford more ethical and moral retailers should be boycotting it and demanding better working conditions for all their employees, producers at home and abroad.

Those multinationals are literally getting away with murder because we are greedy as are they. It's just plain wrong.
When I lived in the UK I did not find ASDA to be that much cheaper than Sainsbury's or Tesco for most things; maybe 1-2p per item. Tesco was across town and Sainsbury's and ASDA were very close by, so the choice was easy: Sainsbury's. The atmosphere at our ASDA was chaotic, loud, and crowded. The Sainsbury's was much quieter.

Here it's a completely different story. The local supermarkets (Tom Thumb and Kroger's for Americans) are considerably more expensive for pretty much everything. Milk is 50 cents more for a gallon. Meat can be up to 1/3 more expensive. Frozen foods are more expensive, anywhere from 10 cents to $3 per item. Cereal can be up to 50% more expensive at the supermarkets. And people wonder why consumers do their grocery shopping at Super Wal-Mart or Super Target. As much as I hate Wal-Mart, I can't argue with the prices. They ARE better...MUCH better. It's not a matter of a few pennies. I did the math once; I took my grocery store receipt to the Super Wal-Mart and found I'd have saved almost $30 by shopping there. At some point most people have to ask themselves how much their principles are costing them. In my case, it's over $100 per month.

Old 11-22-2007, 08:44 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,197,413 times
Well I wish the folks at Human Rights Campaign the best of luck but I suspect they will be in the same boat as most other folks.

Growing numbers of folks shop at Wal-Mart not because it is simply the great bargains that buying in such bulk can bring, but because it is all people can afford any more.

If anyone hasn't yet watched it, it is worth viewing the next time it shows up on the tv.

Wal-Mart, the high cost of low prices

WAL-MART: The High Cost of Low Price

Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,415,445 times
I have boycotted the Wal-Mart near my house. I nwo go to SuperTarget if I want to do "big" grocery shopping.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:15 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,357,057 times
I find it all so stupid, it's a store, you go there and buy things, if you don't want to shop there don't, who cares, nobody forces people to work there, if you don't like it find anouther job. It's no differant than any other store, it sells the same cheap junk made in china that others sell, it sells it cheaper so more people shop there.

Old 11-22-2007, 09:37 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,150,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I have boycotted the Wal-Mart near my house. I nwo go to SuperTarget if I want to do "big" grocery shopping.
Is there really any difference between the two, though? Isn't Target almost as bad? I shop at Target too, but mainly because it's not Wal-Mart. I don't really think it's much better personally.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:37 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
I like Wal Mart. A lot of their stuff is really crap. But they do have a lot of stuff cheaper than other places, so we go there once a week to buy a few things.

You can find mountains of dirt about Wal-Mart on the web. Why? Because they are the largest retail company on the planet, so there is no shortage of people with an axe to grind.

Can you really be so sure that as you give Wal-Mart the middle finger to drive 15 miles down the road to buy from a local store that you are doing any better? Maybe the owner of that local store is a pedophile. Who knows?

Basically, I'm sick of "groups" pushing agendas against companies and telling everyone else to do the same. I don't boycott anymore, period.

Old 11-25-2007, 06:56 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,565,256 times
Wal-Mart takes a disproportional amount of ****, they deserve it and I don't know why we don't give other retailers more. I refuse to shop at a place that only sees my nation as a market. The people who go down the road usually go to a locally owned store where the CEO of the hardware store has a vested interest in the state of his community. More of their money stays in their local economy. (That money, as a corollary, comes back to you). I would rather patronize a pedophile, I think more highly of them. I'm sick of companies that undermine the American nation, and I am sick of people who sell their values down river to save a few bucks. (It is admittedly sad when they don't know they are doing it, but most people have some vague conception of what nation their new vaccuum came from.)

Old 11-25-2007, 07:34 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,897 times
Not surprising, Wal-Mart has never pushed progressive stances. Also, Wal-Mart is resisting stocking things like Plan B or over-the-counter contraception.. Wheather you like gay marriage or not as a concept, it is getting to be a norm to have domestic partner benefits wheather you are married or not, and Wal-Mart doesn't want to play ball, that's OK but people with a conscience should shop elsewhere. Just one more reason to try and look elsewhere for shopping.

I have to admit, I shop there occasionally to get Jerzees moisture wicking socks, but I try and avoid them whenever possible. I'd love to find another location that sold some good technical fabric socks but they are hard to find. The low prices? I could care less about those. Yes, they are cheaper but I can actually save alot of money buying some of the stuff online (for instance, I can buy good quality Turkish double-edged razor blades online for about 20 cents each, whereas at Wal-Mart they are about 30 cents each and inferior quality- in comparison at CVS the same blades are about 50 cents each). Plus on most things they aren't that much cheaper, they just want you to think they are by using clever positioning of cheap products in visible areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies