Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 07:28 PM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,767 times

Advertisements

And thanks to the effects of QE2 or 3, most of these corporations are quietly going private. They are using the hoarded cash to actively buy out shareholders. I read an article recently about how ebay was making offers to shareholders who desired more socially conscious leadership as much as $250/share to "go away". Ebay has a $58, 52 week high. My former company Jack, has offered shareholders who won't give management a blank check, as much as a 10% stock price buyout premium to "go away"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 07:33 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,671,534 times
Go ahead and buy from the government if you think they produce anything worth having.

Clue: They don't.

There is no connection between free enterprise and government. Or at least there shouldn't be.

What a silly thread.

Stop buying.

Starve.

Whatever.

Old 11-10-2013, 07:36 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,742,291 times
How many of those companies make a law that forces us to buy their products?

Old 11-10-2013, 07:53 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,936,232 times
Your cherished big government has set up the environment for these companies to expand to the extent that they have.. What you are complaining about is your governments doing..

Old 11-11-2013, 12:08 AM

544 posts, read 610,424 times
I can't wait till PepsiCo buys CocaCola

Old 11-11-2013, 02:28 AM

7,542 posts, read 11,574,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
Maybe if we got rid of all the unnecessary taxes and regulations imposed by government on corporations some smaller ones could use the extra resources to grow market share. And some new companies could start from scratch. Big companies love regulations. They can absorb the extra costs and the small cannot. Government creates monopolies. It does not bust them.

Ever wonder why we haven't seen a new car company start in the U.S. in decades even though we have thousands of unemployed engineers and auto workers in Detroit? Good luck raising enough capital to get past all the initial government imposed rules.

If you want more government you want private-sector monopolies and should not complain when you have less options in the marketplace.

I think all progressives should be forced to take a basic economics class. Very basic.
Your basically saying we need more trickle down economics trickle down economics is the signal biggest lie republicans have ever told it is 1million% bs

Old 11-11-2013, 02:31 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
GE never owned Comcast. NewsCorp no longer owns Fox (although it did in 2011). Fox is now a separate company.

Who knows what other inaccuracies are in those charts. All verifiable for sure.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:40 AM

3,353 posts, read 6,441,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
And yet some people still think it's TOO MUCH government that's the problem...

10 Corporations Control Almost Everything You Buy

While we've all acknowledged that this is somewhat an alarming fact, we also must think of ourselves in these positions. Personally, if I we're a shareholder in say Time Warner, I would want us to purchase all the competition, that's only natural, I'm sure you'd feel the same way if you owned a business. Now while many of us are on the same team in regards to breaking up the big banks, personally, I don't mind the big food and media organizations being interconnected as they are, it's only the banks that I'm worried about. I'm sure if you owned a business such as Pizza Hut and a mega-corporation asked to purchase your business for a few billion dollars, you would sell out as I would, the only thing I probably wouldn't sell to a major corporation is a business that is totally revolutionary and can bring in much more profits than a corporation is offering.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:22 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 313Weather View Post
There's no possible way for a new company to compete with these mammoth corporations, even if there were no government regulations. Try reading up on the history of Standard Oil for example.

As another poster stated, the problem is we failed to enforce our anti-trust laws (the government "overlooked" these mergers, which in itself screams the lack of regulation).
1. Regulation costs money. Corporations hate government regulation.

2. How can you employ regulation when corporate America not only receives subsidies from Uncle Sam, but their lobbyists are in Washington buying politicians?
http://wonkroom.thinkprogress.org/wp..._funding_s.png

Koch Industries

http://i.imgur.com/499F3.jpg

http://www.sourcewatch.org/images/th...mployment.jpeg

Tea Party born from Koch Industries
http://www.desmogblog.com/sites/beta...20ceed%202.jpg

http://i.cdn.turner.com/ireport/sm/p...1574894_lg.jpg

Old 11-11-2013, 04:05 AM

544 posts, read 610,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
1. Regulation costs money. Corporations hate government regulation.

2. How can you employ regulation when corporate America not only receives subsidies from Uncle Sam, but their lobbyists are in Washington buying politicians?

Your two points are contradictory. You start off by saying corporations don't like regulations, but then you say corporations own politicians. The politicians are the ones that create and pass the bills. The bills mostly include regulations in them.

So either your #1, or #2 is false. Which one is it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies