Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 01:38 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,392,167 times

Advertisements

So I've noticed going from forum to forum that some of them have wildly different beliefs on what is currently going on politically. I attribute some of that to the demographics of the forums, but every now and then I notice extremes. Both left and right.

Here its a pretty right point of view, but hit Fark or Reddit and its very left. Now I could write that off as demographics, but....more and more theres a sense of astroturfing. And I think it occurs from both sides.

To explain-there are companys and organizations that use persona management software to create fake people online, with histories, and back stories. This is a fact-the Air force has hired out this, and the HBGary emails that were hacked indicated that this was occurring on a large scale....years ago.

And as someone here mentioned to me, if 10% of a group holds a position very strongly, that is sufficient to influence the entire group to believe in that position. So, if you can manage to create enough personas then group think becomes infected by it. Whistle blowers who have done this sort of thing indicate that one person can manage about 70 online personas, and what they do is target those who disagree with them, argue small points, details, denigrate them, and otherwise make it look like those people are in the minority that is disliked.

Companies do this via positive and negative views, political organizations can use this to influence online views. The problem is it creates a more and more polarized system.

So does anyone think that we have astroturfers here? What about on other forums you visit?

PS-heres a link to a news article discussing this
http://www.theguardian.com/environme...m-astroturfing

Last edited by greywar; 11-14-2013 at 01:39 PM.. Reason: added link and comment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 01:44 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,757,982 times
no. I think it's mostly natural grass.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,250,702 times
For example, there's a long history of tobacco companies creating astroturf groups to fight attempts to regulate them.

Tobacco has been regulated for decades. I guess they lost.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:49 PM

16,620 posts, read 8,632,029 times
What the hell is astroturfing?
No wait, don't answer that as it is a made up term the Nancy Pelosi tried to make up to describe supposed false dissension of a group that was to be proved real, called the Tea Party.

Anything that emanates from her is likely to be a non starter.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,791,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
It's the process of labor unions such as SEIU busing hundreds of "protestors" in to events and handing them signs to carry, to act as though they are concerned citizens who came out on their own to oppose a conservative initiative.

Reporters who ask these people what they are protesting, find they invariably can't give a coherent answer, or show that they know anything at all about the issue they are "protesting".

Occasionally one admits he was paid $25 or $50 to stand there, chant, and hold the sign.

Last edited by Little-Acorn; 11-14-2013 at 02:01 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 01:53 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,975,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
So I've noticed going from forum to forum that some of them have wildly different beliefs on what is currently going on politically. I attribute some of that to the demographics of the forums, but every now and then I notice extremes. Both left and right.
There's no "right" "astroturfing". Lots and LOTS and LOTS of left astroturfing, though.

Surf any of the major city Craigslist "jobs" and you'll find, in any given week, at LEAST a half dozen or more paid positions (often equal to or more than the "unskilled" labor rate) which are nothing other than astroturf - and EVERY ONE OF THEM is a liberal cause and a liberal organization. The year before an election, they start cranking up, to the point where the "help wanted" ads everywhere are filled with them. Not a single one will be conservatives or conservative organizations or conservative causes.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,141,522 times
For me, i'm just a tried and true, principled conservative. No outside influence. Just me and my ideals.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
No wait, don't answer that as it is a made up term the Nancy Pelosi tried to make up to describe supposed false dissension of a group that was to be proved real, called the Tea Party.

Anything that emanates from her is likely to be a non starter.
Its a term in common use, for example the firm HBGary used it to discuss lobbying efforts. It has nothing to do with Nancy Pelosi directly. Maybe you should look at the link. This isnt a left vs right issue really. Its a propoganda vs reality issue.

Nancy pelosi was using the term to refer to doing it in real life. Which isn't nearly as bad, because at least when the tea party people showed up, it was them representing their strongly held opinions.

This would be like the DNRC paying me 500K/yr to slowly convert the city data forum into a more Democrat positive point of view. I'd hire 4 guys at 50K/yr, create some persona management software, or buy some, and over time there would be about the equivalent of 100 people here arguing every smallest detail with the regular posters. As it looked like more and more people held a democratic view the average viewpoint would shift that way (this is a well established effect). And the people who held opposing views would literally be shouted out by other posters.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,757,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its a term in common use, for example the firm HBGary used it to discuss lobbying efforts. It has nothing to do with Nancy Pelosi directly. Maybe you should look at the link. This isnt a left vs right issue really. Its a propoganda vs reality issue.

Nancy pelosi was using the term to refer to doing it in real life. Which isn't nearly as bad, because at least when the tea party people showed up, it was them representing their strongly held opinions.

This would be like the DNRC paying me 500K/yr to slowly convert the city data forum into a more Democrat positive point of view. I'd hire 4 guys at 50K/yr, create some persona management software, or buy some, and over time there would be about the equivalent of 100 people here arguing every smallest detail with the regular posters. As it looked like more and more people held a democratic view the average viewpoint would shift that way (this is a well established effect). And the people who held opposing views would literally be shouted out by other posters.
no. it's a made up term that was used about twice 7 years ago. so democrats are "positive?" what was your question? was it "how do you spell propaganda?"

Old 11-14-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
It's the process of labor unions such as SEIU bussing hundreds of "protestors" in to events and handing them signs to carry, to act as though they are concerned citizens who came out on their own to oppose a conservative initiative.

Reporters who ask these people what they are protesting, invariably can't give a coherent answer, or show that they know anythng at all about the issue they are "protesting".

Occasionally one admits he was paid $25 or $50 to stand there, chant, and hold the sign.
yup labor unions HAVE been known to do this, as have many other groups on both sides of the isle. Lots of arguments on wether this is good or bad. I personally feel bad. But some defenses I have heard was "hey its just us using our money to represent our side, just like the corporations do".....which while valid...still means in this particular case you're being deceptive.

Another term used is "sockpuppet".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies