Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
In your opinion has the federal government ever done anything beneficial for Americans? Domestically...not militarily.
Aside from creating a currency, and providing a court system for interstate legal disputes... no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:31 PM

Quote:
How can you say that income inequality isn't a bad thing? Significant research exists that unanimously points to higher crime rates, higher poverty, lower standard of life, and decreased life expectancy in countries with unfavorable Gini coefficients. There are way too many negatives to suggest a coincidence.
When you quote social theorists as "proof" of your validity, get off the bus and go back to kindergarten.

They're little more than overstuffed bags of BS.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM

525 posts, read 508,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwmdk View Post
When you quote social theorists as "proof" of your validity, get off the bus and go back to kindergarten.

They're little more than overstuffed bags of BS.
They're economists...which technically is a social science but I have a sneaking suspicion that if they supported your angle you'd be all for them.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:41 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
Your assertions don't make any of this true. Notice how you accuse people of fallacies... when your accusation is one itself.
My post was directed elsewhere.
As mentioned previously, you bought into a Rove / Reagan myth.
Based on that 1 epic fail alone, any of your comments are completely invalid and unwarranted.
Have a great weekend!

Old 11-15-2013, 06:47 PM

Quote:
They're economists...which technically is a social science but I have a sneaking suspicion that if they supported your angle you'd be all for them.
Well, you're welcome to have sneaking suspicions all you want. But you should learn to distinguish between your imagination and reality.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:58 PM

525 posts, read 508,406 times
Quote:
Well, you're welcome to have sneaking suspicions all you want. But you should learn to distinguish between your imagination and reality
Kettle....you're black!
Pot....yeah, so.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrexDigit View Post
My post was directed elsewhere.
As mentioned previously, you bought into a Rove / Reagan myth.
Based on that 1 epic fail alone, any of your comments are completely invalid and unwarranted.
Have a great weekend!
Otherwise known as "ad hominem".

Old 11-15-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Kettle....you're black!
Pot....yeah, so.
No, you are making up what you think my thought processes are. Yet, in all the time I've been here, my "quotes" from economists... Have almost not existed, and none of them were about economic theory.

I don't post quotes or links and say "see, my source trumps your opinion". (A fallacy called 'appeal to authority')

You should learn to make arguments based on having been through through very carefully - your PRINCIPLES, that is, and once you do that, then your policy prescriptions make sense.

You claim to be on right, but you're busy telling everyone the nanny state must not only exist, it is imperative to preserve it. That's not "right" at all, but hard left.

You call my statements that the Constitution should be followed "ideological". My gawd, since when is the law that governs our nation just a whim to dismiss as some mere suggestion of idealism? At every turn you advocate government rule our lives and the outcome of our lives, giving to the unproductive at the expense of the productive.

All cutely "justified" by claiming that someone living in an area with poor people that's rich causes crime. The idea is preposterous from ANY angle, if you spend 20 seconds examining the premise behind the argument - but I suspect your time involved in actually thinking about this stuff is near zilch. Instead, you're practicing your "positioning", trying to find some unique combination of positions that'll somehow capture the vote of the "I have no idea what the heck should happen, I just want it to work in my favor" crowd.

Like we need a nation run by people who pander to the poor and abuse the productive? They're often poor for a reason, it's reason enough to not just question, but to dismiss their whims as less than judicious.

Old 11-15-2013, 08:58 PM

2,172 posts, read 1,453,117 times
Quote:
Otherwise known as "ad hominem".
While ad hominem at face value, it is a statement of fact.
The 'big government liberal' myth is well documented.
Its sources are well known.
You subscribe to a belief that is admittedly false but propagate it regardless.
It definitely shades other, equally questionable posts. Hence the connection.
Burden of proof lies with you.
Judging by the post count, I'm guessing you've got plenty of time to work it out.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:20 PM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
I've had a bit of a political epiphany as of late and I'm not sure if I know how to accurately label myself anymore. I feel like I've always sort of been a moderate Republican or a centrist...but I've been told from random people that I'm more to the right than a centrist but more left than a moderate Republican.
There is no such thing as being more to the right than a centrist but more left than a moderate Republican. A centrist and a moderate Republican are the same thing.
Quote:
Taxes: I think we should have a flat tax at 25% with limited deductions. The capital gains taxes should remain at 15% to incentivize investment and capital risks. Corporate taxes at 25% as well...limit deductions and work to create regulatoins to manage off shore tax evasion.
This is right wing. Not centrist/moderate right. Moderate Republicans support progressive taxes just like liberals. If you want a flat tax then you are fully right wing.
Quote:
Banking Regulation: Create stronger regulations to manage the shadow banking sector...CDS, CDO, Etc.
Depends on what the regulations are. If you want regulations that prevent fraud and corruption then it says nothing about which way you lean politically. If you want regulations that mandate how banks use their money, then you are left wing.
Quote:
Ways to address recessions: Rebate checks to citizens. Put the money in the hands of the people. This is particularly useful when aimed at the poor because they are less-inclined to save these tax refunds...they will spend them which will stimulate growth. The Bush Admin issued tax vouchers which had a moderating effect on the early 2000's recession and made it much more acute than it would have been otherwise.
If you want to put money into the hands of the people who earned it, then you are right wing. Leftists deal with recessions in Keynesian ways like FDR's New Deal and Obama's stimulus where the government takes the money and spends it.
Quote:
Military: Scale it WAY back. Do we really need to outspend practically every other nation thrice over? We need to scrutinize the military as hard as we scrutinize domestic programs for spending uts.
Wanting to scale the military back no longer indicates which way you lean politically. If you want to increase the military you are probably right wing. Virtually nobody on the left wants that. But scaling back the military is now part of both wings. Libertarian right wingers join with the left in wanting a smaller military.
Quote:
Foreign Policy: Close as many overseas bases as possible, safely. Stay out of foreign affairs. Let the UN address these issues.
Closing overseas military bases - same as above. Feature of both left and libertarian leaning right.
Letting the UN address issues - left wing. I, and most people I know on the right, do not trust the UN to do anything competently.
Quote:
Healthcare: I've vascilated on this one a lot. I've read a lot lately on healthcare and based on my
experience with our healthcare system and the system I used while studying abroad in Austria (single-payer)....I prefer the Austrian system. Their taxation isn't remarkably higher than ours and their Ministry of Health is their central negotiation body and it is remarkably efficient with handling their costs. The healthcare system in Austria is remarkably efficient and succeeds at holding costs down far better than ours. So...based purely on my experience with these two systems only...I choose the Austrian one.
Letting government make your healthcare decisions for you is left wing.
Quote:
Social Issues: Pro drug legalization/taxation, pro gay marriage, pro-choice, pro-legalizatoin of prostitution. My basic premise is...if you ain't hurtin' anyone and each party is a willing and legal consentor...go for it.
Same as the military bases. The left and the libertarian right support these things. Social conservatives don't.
Quote:
Education: Tax vouchers for parents...empower parents to pick better schools than our failing public system. We've tried forcing money into this system for years...It isn't getting better and more money just isn't the answer. Parents should be able to opt out and use their "share" of the tax dollars for vouchers so that they can send their kids to the school of their choice.
This is right wing. Similar to how the left trusts the UN to solve problems, trusts the government to get us out of recessions, and trusts the government to make their healthcare decisions for them, they also trust the government to run a good education system. Letting people make their own educational choices is right wing.
Quote:
Social Security: It should be means tested and serve as a true social insurance. There is no reason that wealthy people should pull from social security. If you don't need it...you don't get it. The eligibility age needs to be raised as well. We live longer these days.
This is right wing. People on the left generally don't want social security touched.
Quote:
Well, those are all the issues I can think about off hand. If you need more to accurately label me...ask and I'll try to address it.
In general you come across as a libertarian leaning right wing person with the glaring exception of healthcare where you are a full on leftist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies