Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 02:51 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
This is just the liberals trying to marginalize Reagan. He was disliked and marginalized by the RINOs of his day for expressing conservatism, the same as they are trying to marginalize Tea party folks today for expressing conservatism.

Now these same RINOs are trying to claim Reagan as their own. Sorry, but the truth is that a liberal establishment Republican in 1980, is a no different then the liberal establishment Republicans in 2013.

For forty odd years, before Reagan, the establishment Republicans in Washington just went along to get along, with the Democrats in power. Today, the establishment Republicans are going along to get along with the Democrats of today. And just like in the 1970s when Reagan dared to interfere with Washington politics, the RINOs despise the Tea party types for interfering in their "me give up" Washington politics of today.
Oh, please! You need a good review of factual history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 02:54 PM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I think about this almost every time I go shopping. We wore pretty dresses and hose with pretty flat shoes to school. I have slacked off a lot but I sometimes dress up to go shopping or to the post office. My older friends do too. We were brought up that way.
The difference today is that most people can no longer afford good quality clothing.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:58 PM

8,560 posts, read 6,407,829 times
Quote:
Your'e analogy is like paying $20 dollars to enter a store, before I bought anything, because their are so many shoplifters.

In the town I live in, you pull up to a gas pump, and if you don't insert a credit care the person inside the store politely says "pump #6 is turned on" over the intercom. You pump your gas, and go in and pay for it by putting your money into the hand of the person behind the counter, no little sliding bank teller type drawer, no communicating to employee behind the bullet proof plexiglas over a little speaker.

In my town, during the winter time, people even park their car, and leave their engine running when they duck into a convenience store to buy their morning coffee and donut. It's a small town of about 50,000 people, and their is almost no crime to speak of.

What? You think the ENTIRE country is "small town America"? I don't know of any gas stations where you don't have to pay at the pump with a card or pre-pay inside. And I don't live in a Crime-prone small CITY. Also, that leaving your car running while you "dash" in to make a purchase of donuts and/or coffee is BAD for the ENVIRONMENT. And a huge waste of fuel.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:58 PM

4,837 posts, read 4,167,640 times
Quote:
Your'e analogy is like paying $20 dollars to enter a store, before I bought anything, because their are so many shoplifters.

In the town I live in, you pull up to a gas pump, and if you don't insert a credit care the person inside the store politely says "pump #6 is turned on" over the intercom. You pump your gas, and go in and pay for it by putting your money into the hand of the person behind the counter, no little sliding bank teller type drawer, no communicating to employee behind the bullet proof plexiglas over a little speaker.

In my town, during the winter time, people even park their car, and leave their engine running when they duck into a convenience store to buy their morning coffee and donut. It's a small town of about 50,000 people, and their is almost no crime to speak of.
Great, good for you. Congratulations. In the real world, the majority of places have pre pay.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:28 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,207,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Well, who cares. I don't.

It was a much better time. Women didn't work, they stayed home and took care of the children. A man could work one job and support a family.

We never locked the doors on our house, didn't even know where the keys were. I would take that society over this garbage 7 days a week.
I'm sure that some women cared. Maybe they would have liked a choice to have a career instead of cooking, cleaning, and taking care of children.

Old 11-19-2013, 07:17 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Riiiiiiiiiiight. I'd LOVE to see your proof Joe was a "big fan" of Hitler. What Joe wanted was to keep the US out of the war. JFK disagreed with his father.
I watched something on one of the network news shows talking about Kennedy's diary that Caroline published recently. It said that Kennedy went to Germany in the 1930s and greatly admired all the things Hitler was doing over there. Of course, he had no idea that the end goal was to eliminate the Jews.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:16 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FancyFeast5000 View Post
What? You think the ENTIRE country is "small town America"? I don't know of any gas stations where you don't have to pay at the pump with a card or pre-pay inside. And I don't live in a Crime-prone small CITY. Also, that leaving your car running while you "dash" in to make a purchase of donuts and/or coffee is BAD for the ENVIRONMENT. And a huge waste of fuel.
Who can argue with such reasoning?

You must not live where it's so cold you CAN'T turn your engine off, or it'll blow the freeze plugs. It's bad for the environment to have gigantic wind turbines breaking birds necks (120,000 a year)... so should we compare which we think is worse?

Gads... isn't it a shame that small-town USA is getting smaller? It's a shame that big cities have sucked all the common sense, courtesy, and respect out the inhabitants.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 PM

1,404 posts, read 1,031,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I watched something on one of the network news shows talking about Kennedy's diary that Caroline published recently. It said that Kennedy went to Germany in the 1930s and greatly admired all the things Hitler was doing over there. Of course, he had no idea that the end goal was to eliminate the Jews.
JFK was born in 1917. Are you saying he was over there as a teen?

Or, are we talking about Joseph, the rum running associate of Meyer Lansky?

Old 11-19-2013, 08:26 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
Great, good for you. Congratulations. In the real world, the majority of places have pre pay.
I have never understood the logic of pre pay it does not save time and you still have to go into station to pay the clerk. And then there is the chance that you will have drive offs which do occur in the small towns in my area. There is only one way to describe the logic of prepay

Old 11-19-2013, 09:49 PM

21,476 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfman View Post
JFK was born in 1917. Are you saying he was over there as a teen?

Or, are we talking about Joseph, the rum running associate of Meyer Lansky?
Yes, I'm saying he was over there as a teen or very young adult. His father was an ambassador to England at the time. I only saw bits and pieces, but I do recall it being a bit controversial a few months ago.

I googled it and found this article from an Israeli website:

http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomac...emium-1.525719
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies